No announcement yet.

Need help making a Transmission choice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Need help making a Transmission choice.

Just purchased a 1963 Hawk 289, 3 speed. I would like to keep it as original as possible. Here in Colorado the highway speeds are in the 70's. So I would like to up grade to an OD trans. It needs a clutch. So I thought it would be a good time to do it. It is difficult to say the least to find a stock OD Trans online. I found plenty of Ford t85's with OD, but not Studebakers. Then I ran across the TKO trans conversion information. That sounds great, but I feel it would take value away from my 55,000 mile Hawk. So I guess I'm asking for help from long time Studebaker owners for their opinion? Oh yes, this is my first post I just joined. Thank you.

Your simplest and easiest solution is to get a T86 with overdrive, and swap it in at the same time as you remove the old transmission to do the clutch service. These transmissions are easy to get. Just ask around here. I don't think a properly=done 5-speed conversion would hurt the value of the car, but it would be a lot more work and expense.
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

What he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Comment

First off, welcome Nick!! This is a terrific place to find information and others valuable know how. If you want to keep the car as original as possible, Gords info is perfect. As he said, going to a TKO is also a good route. I don't think your cars value will be degraded with the TKO, I actually think it will increase it's value. The 3 speed O/D's are great, but having the O/D all inclusive to me is a better option. Yes it will be more labor intensive and pricey so you will have to weigh your options and make the decision that is right for how you want the car. Good luck, keep us up to date on your progress. Bill

Comment

Originally posted by gordr View Post
          Your simplest and easiest solution is to get a T86 with overdrive, and swap it in at the same time as you remove the old transmission to do the clutch service. These transmissions are easy to get. Just ask around here. I don't think a properly=done 5-speed conversion would hurt the value of the car, but it would be a lot more work and expense.
          X2 on Gord's advice. The T86 is a good transmission and if not abused will last forever. When buying one, get take-out from a complete car; transmission with governor, solenoid, control cable, wiring harness, kickdown switch and driveshaft. Chasing all the small stuff is an expensive hassle. When you've got it together, it's a bolt in.

Just to be sure we're all on the same page of the Shop Manual; which transmission does your GT have now? Come to think of it, I've never seen a GT with a standard 3-speed transmission. Old-timers here will remember more than one owner who had an overdrive under there and didn't know it.

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

If you decide to go with the OEM 3-peed/OD, it would be worthwhile to contact Jerry Kurtz (jerezstude on this forum). He rebuilds them and sells them.
            Skip Lackie

Comment

Nick, It all goes to your finances, tools and abilities. First look up under at your trans and take a cell phone pic. Then we can better tell you how to proceed. A Ford T85 will bolt to your bell housing. BUT, you will have to shorten the drive shaft and use a tranny with a 7" input shaft. Then you will need to press a bronze sleeve on the input shaft collar where the throw out bearing rides, since the Ford is 1 7/16" and the Stude TO bearing is 1 1/2". I would use a TKO myself, but there will be about a $2,000 difference in total coast.

Comment

I have TKO'S in two of my cars , and I have driven factory 3spd OD set ups. If you are building a full on resto , use the factory OD..If not go with the tremec I have 70.000 miles on my 56 chevy pick up and it still works like a charm , pulls down 20+ mpg with a 406 chevy

Comment

WOW lots of help! Cool! I just located a guy willing to sell a OD trans out of a Lark V8. He's only 5 miles from my home. I'm meeting him next week. Will get all the switches and cables if he's willing to sell. I did look under the car and it's a short trans did not see any overdrive stuff hanging off like the pictures I've seen. Fyi I built a Cobra kit car a few years back. Ford Alum Block 351, bored/strocked to 408. with a T56 - 6speed. Sold it and bought a 60 Tbird. Took out the 352 and put in a mild 390 with a 700R4 behind it with a 3:50 trac-lock . Also have a 63 Tbird Conv. I leave the engine, trans and differential stuff to the experts. I do everything else myself. And I don't paint. I'll post what I find. If I hit a dead end, I'll call Jerry Kurtz to see if he has anything. We have a drive shaft builder near here if I need one made.

Comment

The person I met today didn't want to give up anything. He just keeps collecting. I did find a 63 V8 Lark with OD in a salvage yard 8 miles from here. The engine is locked up or I would have bought that also. I told them I wanted all the stuff that goes to the trans. I'll double check everything when I pick it up. I also have a transmission rebuilder that will do the work. Thanks for all the info. I would have just come home with the trans if not for your advise.

Comment

You can get your original driveshaft shortened if the trans is coming from a Lark. Remove the top cover of the new trans. Look at 1st gear and the cluster gear. If the edges of the teeth are heavily chipped from someone clashing gears, it may warrant replacing those two components. The chips are stress risers and act as fracture origination points. Save your original standard 3 speed as the main gearing is the same as the gearing in the OD trans.
                      james r pepper

Comment

Also your Hawk probably has a 3.31 rear axle ratio. If that 1963 Lark you're getting the overdrive from has a 289 V-8 it should have a 3.73 rear axle and it would be an easy bolt in in your Hawk. The 3.73 is ideal with the overdrive.

Joe
                        sigpic

1962 Daytona
                        1964 Cruiser
                        And a few others

Comment

Working...
                        X