What to do with the lark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do with the lark

As many of you know I'm the proud owner of a 1961 lark that was sitting for 30 years. Anyway I've been trying to figure out what to do with the car. It's been listed for sale on Craigslist,I've even tried giving it away to no avail. So what's next?
    I would love to fix to car up but I'm not in a good place financially to take on the project, even though I'm working things are still tight and will be for a while.
    So I'm reaching out in hopes someone has some ideas on how to proceed. Thank you in advance for the help
    "trying to save them from the crusher one at a time"

Hi befuddled one , Question #1 is it in your way ?? #2 Do you like the car ? How close to retirement are you ? If you answered NO , Yes and off in the distance then keep it . It took me seven enjoyable years to restore my wife's 65 Daytona Sports Sedan . It's all in the timing , plan a year at a time and before you know it you will be cruising down the highway . Chin up .
    Old Fart

Comment

I have been in similar positions over the years. I did look on the homepage under chapters in Virginia and saw listings for 5 chapters in your area. I don't know how far any are from you but if you get in touch with the one closest to you they may have some ideas. Someone may know a new chapter member that does not have a car but is wanting one. You might also send up a trial balloon and see if one of the chapters would accept your car as a donation. Since the chapters are non profit, the donation may qualify as a tax deduction but I would check with an account to verify that.

Best of luck to you and here is hoping that things will improve for you. The 61 Lark has some mechanical improvements over previous years.

Bob Miles
      Tucson AZ

Comment

Originally posted by 6hk71400 View Post
        I have been in similar positions over the years. I did look on the homepage under chapters in Virginia and saw listings for 5 chapters in your area. I don't know how far any are from you but if you get in touch with the one closest to you they may have some ideas. Someone may know a new chapter member that does not have a car but is wanting one. You might also send up a trial balloon and see if one of the chapters would accept your car as a donation. Since the chapters are non profit, the donation may qualify as a tax deduction but I would check with an account to verify that.

Best of luck to you and here is hoping that things will improve for you. The 61 Lark has some mechanical improvements over previous years.

Bob Miles
        Tucson AZ
        I am not a tax accountant or attorney. With that said, I would like to correct something. SDC is a not for profit corporation, not a non profit corporation and definitely not a tax deductible charity. That is one reason that the Studebaker Foundation was formed. They can accept tax deductible gifts/donations.

I like 1961 Larks, but only want nearly compete/finished cars at this time. I get the impression that your car does not fall into that category.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

No the car has no engine currently installed and none of the brakes work. It's been sitting sitting 30 plus years.

Comment

Ross, I am in California and have no need for another old car project but since yours is a 61 lark I was wondering if the tail light lenses are use able? I have a 61 four door with 48 K original miles and only the broken lenses are the problem, your don't need to be perfect just use able as I have none just broken pieces, I would buy them and pay shipping no problem, let me know..........Bob
            Candbstudebakers
            Castro Valley,
            California

Comment

Unfortunately, I'm in the same position as you mine are missing completely.

Comment

I have a Sunbeam Tiger sitting 18 years on jackstands. I have NO intentions of selling it.

In your case 30 years is a long time. What specifically has kept anything from getting done all those years? Will that cause ever change? When it was offered for sale what kept anyone from buying it? The price too high? The condition too poor? If you have even tried to give the car away with no takers that seems telling.

Is it more torture to see it and agonize over what it has never become? Or, can you look at it until the day you pass from this earth and still admire it for what it is? In the end YOU have to decide.
                '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Well to clarify I've owned the car for roughly five years. The original owner (Bill lucy) let the car sit for some reason. Not sure as of yet the exact reason. After some late night research we found out it had been taken off the road when Bill got sick and moved out of the area
                  From there the story gets lost because the new owner thought the car was a Chevy, so I gave him a old jukebox I had laying around and we towed the lark home. After getting the lark home i found out the cars block cracked and the engine was full of rust beyond being a rebuild. After a year of research i found a motor in Danville Va. That motor was cracked on three places. Motor #2 seized and cracked the block after trying to turn over found water on cylinder 8, 5 ,4 and 2. So I stopped working on it kind of got discouraged.

Sorry for the punctuation I'm replying from my phone.

Comment

I have a fleet of old cars, several of which have not run in years, and some that are "mid-completion" projects. (A positive spin on projects that are started, then put on hold for years when another one captured my interest.) I have no intention of selling any of them, I figure they cost me nothing to sit there, and given enough time I might get back to them.

HOWEVER, My Mrs has a different plan, and like old tires do, I am aging out, so to speak, so her plan may have to become my plan before too many more moons. I'm heavily resisting, but I know time has a way of winning... Bummer... But I trundle on, doing a bit here and there as the spirit moves... With no heirs who have any interest in old vehicles whatever, what's a guy to do? Actually, I do worry about conking out and leaving her with all this mess to dispose of...
                    Corley

Comment

Private message sent.

My kids will confirm that I have reached geezerhood status. I have met this young man and can confirm that he is nowhere near geezerhood. He is just what we need to have people to take care of our cars when we are gone. I hope he is successful in reviving his. The timing of Studebakers turning up in our area coincides roughly with the timing of a solar eclipse. He did check the local chapter's parts stash. No 259 V8 or 1961 taillights are in stock.

Good luck with your revival.

Comment

There is a 259 for sale on the Fredericksburg CL for $175.

Comment

After a fellow member inquired about Bill lucy via a private message I did some digging. I found out that Bill relocated around the time I took possession of the car he now resides in Yorktown Virginia according to a Google search so I'm going to reach out to him and see if I can get some information about the car. And hopefully finally get the original title.

Comment

I saw the listing I'm concerned about the stuck valve. I've had a lot of bad luck with junk motors I don't want to keep throwing good money away on unknowns I gamble enough as it is.

Comment

My 1946 M5 ran like new, and after setting 6 months it now has 2 stuck valves. I don't worry much about stuck valves. This corn crap gas is great for making valves stick over winter.

Comment

Working...
                              X