PDA

View Full Version : Help with car transport

GeorgeColvin
01-16-2018, 04:55 PM
Looking to transport as many as 6 or 7 cars to the Int. Drivers Club Meet in August. Cars going from So. California to Tacoma, Wa.

I have 3 cars now and need to pick up 3 or 4 more people that would like to have their cars transported. We don't want to drive in 100+ temps going north.

Any recommendations of a Transportation Co. would help.
Thanks,
George Colvin

GeorgeColvin46@gmail.com

spokejr
01-16-2018, 06:00 PM
Looking to transport as many as 6 or 7 cars to the Int. Drivers Club Meet in August. Cars going from So. California to Tacoma, Wa.

I have 3 cars now and need to pick up 3 or 4 more people that would like to have their cars transported. We don't want to drive in 100+ temps going north.

Any recommendations of a Transportation Co. would help.
Thanks,
George Colvin

GeorgeColvin46@gmail.com

Hi George,

I have made the same offer on behalf of the Avanti Owners Association. Perhaps we can pool resources. Many are interested in driving one way and shipping the other as well as those who want to ship both ways. According to a friend who ships antique cars, Intercity, Horseless Carraige and Reliable would be the best choices. This friend strongly suggested we pass on Passport.

I have been dragging my feet a little due to work and illness around my office but I am making a little headway. One of the things the AOAI is offering to the trucking companies is some free advertising to sweeten the deal for a better rate.

Ken Buchanan

Guido
01-16-2018, 06:40 PM
Is a train an option? We have an auto train that goes from northern VA to Sanford, FL.

Mark L
01-16-2018, 09:21 PM
I've never heard of an auto train that runs on the west coast like the one on the east coast. I think the one in the east is the only one like it in the United States.

Skip Lackie
01-17-2018, 07:44 AM
I've never heard of an auto train that runs on the west coast like the one on the east coast. I think the one in the east is the only one like it in the United States.

Yes. It's the only one.

Hallabutt
01-17-2018, 02:40 PM
I know that there are reasons other then the weather, to avoiding the drive, but it is just a leisurely three day drive. An early morning start with a stop in the East Bay area, maybe the Black Hawk collection. Or maybe as far north as Redding. Another early morning start and a stop north of Medford. There's a really good chance that the last four hundred mile leg will be pleasant, at least weather wise. On second thought maybe shipping your cars might be a better solution.

StudeRich
01-17-2018, 05:14 PM
The downside I see to that is, you get to pay TWICE! Once to get the Car there and then again to get yourself or yourself and Family there! :(

Silverplate
01-18-2018, 07:55 AM
Hi George,

I have made the same offer on behalf of the Avanti Owners Association. Perhaps we can pool resources. Many are interested in driving one way and shipping the other as well as those who want to ship both ways. According to a friend who ships antique cars, Intercity, Horseless Carraige and Reliable would be the best choices. This friend strongly suggested we pass on Passport.

I have been dragging my feet a little due to work and illness around my office but I am making a little headway. One of the things the AOAI is offering to the trucking companies is some free advertising to sweeten the deal for a better rate.

Ken Buchanan

i have used Horseless and Reliable with satisfactory results each time I used them. I have used Passport the most and have found them to be the best. They are accomdating, caring and the GPS tracking is awesome. The last time I used them they hauled three cars from Florida to Texas for me pick-up on time and delivery the same.

GeorgeColvin
01-18-2018, 04:07 PM
StudeRich. We are flying up and back. Obviously we need to have the cars transported both ways. The first estimate I got was $1,000 one way.

GeorgeColvin
01-18-2018, 04:13 PM
Hi George,

Ken Buchanan

That sounds like a good idea offering advertising as a way to get a better rate. I am going to contact the Inland empire Orange chapter to see if their members would be interested.

studegary
01-18-2018, 04:40 PM
Do you know of anyone going to the convention in a vehicle that could pull a trailer? You could rent a car carrying trailer and put your car on it (both ways) and pay for the service.

GeorgeColvin
04-05-2018, 01:36 PM
We are flying up and back. Car is going by truck up and back. Also they only want payment after the car is returned to my home.

plwindish
04-06-2018, 03:03 PM
Living sin the Chicago area, I've decided to drive my 76 Avanti out and back, doing a lot of sight seeing through the upper midwest and northwest going out and back. The trip won't be without worry though as I drive to Colorado Springs in 2013 and had to ship the car back due to all kinds of altitude issues. In 2015, I drove Rte 66 to CA and shipped it back because the overdrive gear disappeared in AZ and I didn't want to drive it back like that. Trans was a minor issue and now motor has been rebuilt along with adding EFI, so we'll see what August brings!

JoeHall
04-06-2018, 10:08 PM
Living sin the Chicago area, I've decided to drive my 76 Avanti out and back, doing a lot of sight seeing through the upper midwest and northwest going out and back. The trip won't be without worry though as I drive to Colorado Springs in 2013 and had to ship the car back due to all kinds of altitude issues. In 2015, I drove Rte 66 to CA and shipped it back because the overdrive gear disappeared in AZ and I didn't want to drive it back like that. Trans was a minor issue and now motor has been rebuilt along with adding EFI, so we'll see what August brings!

I bet you are gonna have a great time on that venture. To me, the journey in a Stude is as much fun as the destination. Hope you have a safe, trouble free journey !