PDA

View Full Version : Starter Brushes What a Joke

TWChamp
01-15-2018, 06:20 PM
Anyone want to buy a pair of totally worn out starter brushes for almost $20, when you can by a set of 4 EX-80 new brushes for much less.

Looks to me like the EX-80 can easily be notched to work for the mounting screws. I've had to modify brushes at times.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1922-STUDEBAKER-Starter-Brushes-2-Brush-No-89-S-Used/271415080501?hash=item3f31997635:g:-vMAAMXQVT9TCU7B&vxp=mtr

StudeRich
01-15-2018, 06:25 PM
Yeah BUT! They're RARE, they are from a 1922 Studebaker, maybe you could hang them on your Wall as decorations! :D

TWChamp
01-15-2018, 06:29 PM
Here's a set of EX-80 for 6 bucks and free delivery. EX-19 looks like it could also work.
If a person gets in a bind, so to a generator/starter shop and ask to look through there catalog of brushes, and usually something can be found. Carbon brushes for generators are easily sanded or filed if need be to make them fit.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Starter-Brush-Set-Standard-EX-80/282395503203?epid=1029930537&hash=item41c0156a63:g:0o4AAOSw7khZ-3GP&vxp=mtr

55s
01-18-2018, 09:46 PM
Reminds me of my Chrysler minivan starter. It was late one night, and the started wasn't working, so I took it apart. The brushes were worn out. Next day, I asked for Chrysler for some brushes. There was a repair kit available for $90, with not much more than the brushes. A new starter motor was $200. I took the brushes on a short road trip in another car, and happened to see a truck parts place and asked if they had any brushes. The parts guy came out with an exact replacement and wouldn't charge me for them. CAPO! (It was a Plymouth minivan)

StudeNorm
01-19-2018, 10:15 AM
I can't say for south of the border but I was told by EVERY auto parts store, auto electric company and even an electric brush supplier here in Edmonton that a set of brushes for the generic GM alternator out of a 2004 Saturn was no-longer-available... Only choice was buy a $250 rebuild or $100 used alternator. I didn't have time to eBay or Kijiji one as the car was needed yesterday. I found a set of old brushes from an electric motor and ground them on a wheel (took all of 5 minutes) and installed them. Total time spent - less than a hour. Total cost - $0.00...

The point here is that what TWChamp said in post #3 is totally correct. If you need brushes and can't find the correct ones there is a really good likelihood that you can fabricate a set.

BTW the car was my neighbours and he needed it to go to a job interview. He considers himself CASO (Saturn)...

wittsend
01-19-2018, 12:31 PM
Motor brushes are one of the most adaptable items out there. In a pinch I have even stacked two well worn brushes to get the tool running again for a job completion. In addition to being CASO I guess I'm CAHFO too. HF being Harbor Freight.

Dwain G.
01-19-2018, 03:36 PM
Here's a set of EX-80 for 6 bucks and free delivery. EX-19 looks like it could also work.
If a person gets in a bind, so to a generator/starter shop and ask to look through there catalog of brushes, and usually something can be found. Carbon brushes for generators are easily sanded or filed if need be to make them fit.

Yes, we used do to that with obsolete imports back in the '60s-'70s when they were still in abundance.