Early Champ Steering Box Parts Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Early Champ Steering Box Parts Needed

I am starting a new thread on this to attract some fresh eyes.
    I am still looking for the following parts for the steering box on my 1961 Champ Truck:

1692896 Post & Cam Assembly
    1692903 Shaft Cam Lever

If anyone knows where I might acquire these parts, or, has a complete Ross TL-12 steering box in good condition, please get in touch with me.
    My other option would be to change the steering altogether but that would be a big project and, honestly, I would not know where to begin.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Does this look like the steering box? I may have one, but I cant get to it for a few weeks sorry. Maybe the picture will help someone that can get you one sooner. Good Luck
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20170212_154754.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	1717895
    Attached Files

Comment

That is it. Cross steer.

Comment

It is not totally clear from the photos but I believe that may be the correct box. If it is not too worn out I could probably rebuild it. My main concern is the condition of the parts I mentioned in the first post. If there is any play when you pull on the splined shaft than it may be too far gone.
        I am unable to move forward until I get the parts or another box so I guess you could say I am in no hurry. I'm at the mercy of the situation.
        Thank you.
        Ed Sallia
        Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

I got a call from John Lassiter down in Lebanon this morning telling me he had a steering box. I jumped in the car and drove down to his "Studebaker Ranch" to see what he had. He had pulled it out of a '61 Champ 1/2 ton truck, took it apart, cleaned it all up, took a micrometer to all the parts to check tolerances, gave it a good bill of health, and sent me on my way with it. All I need now are the new bushings, bearings, gaskets and seals and I am in good shape.
          What a relief.
          Ed Sallia
          Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

word is these boxes can be rebuilt too

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
              word is these boxes can be rebuilt too
              They can. I have ordered all the rebuild parts from Stephen Allen's. I should have a properly steering Champ truck soon enough.
              Ed Sallia
              Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Working...
              X