Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adapter for 4bbl Edelbrock carbs to OEM air bonnets & air cleaners for the Carter AFB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Adapter for 4bbl Edelbrock carbs to OEM air bonnets & air cleaners for the Carter AFB

In case you did not notice this in the December 2017 TW Co-Operator, an adapter that allows air bonnets and air cleaners designed to fit the 4 ½” Carter 4 bbl air horn to be used with the Edelbrock 5” air horn. This is important for those of us who have retired our Carter AFBs for the Edelbrock knockoff. It is available from The Blower Shop in Boise, ID (call (208) 985-7650, and ask for Chris). The adapter itself is beautifully produced in highly polished aluminum. In combination with the Edelbrock carb, about ¾" is added in height, so hood clearance is a question. I have a 1953 Commander HT with a 289 V-8 under the hood, and I have no clearance problems using the adapter, so I assume it will not be a problem with the 1953-64 C/Ks. I also have a 1963 Avanti R-2, and unfortunately I do have a clearance problem with it. Over the winter I am going see if I can add enough shims under the ears of the radiator frame to raise the fenders and hood and solve the clearance problem. I doubt I can, but I will try. Lowering the engine a bit will likely not work because of clearance issues with the crank pulley. It would be good if someone else could confirm whether or not hood clearance is a problem with other models such as the Daytonas.

I have no financial stake in this product in any way and I will not profit from any sales. I just pass this on as helpful information.
    Stan Gundry
    www.AvantiPublishing.com

I consider myself innovative and adaptive as opposed to a CASO although I may be that as well. I have installed an AFB on my 259 and I did not have an air cleaner for it, however I had an air cleaner from a Carter two barrel and I made an adapter out of wood on my wood lathe that fits and works well. The air cleaner is adaptive to be an oil bath or cartridge filter. I guess if you did a ton of math it may be determined as somewhat restrictive, however operating on two barrels as it will be most of the time I don't think it will be an issue.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07527.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	1717883Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07528.JPG
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	1717884Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07529.JPG
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	1717885Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07531.JPG
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	1717886Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07526.JPG
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	1717887

Comment

Contact Nick Berger in Westminster, California.....owner of the"Cristine" R-2 Avanti....Nick made a new bonnet to fit his new Edelbrock carb on his Avanti.....looks and fits beautiful!!
      Originally posted by Stan.Gundry View Post
      In case you did not notice this in the December 2017 TW Co-Operator, an adapter that allows air bonnets and air cleaners designed to fit the 4 ½” Carter 4 bbl air horn to be used with the Edelbrock 5” air horn. This is important for those of us who have retired our Carter AFBs for the Edelbrock knockoff. It is available from The Blower Shop in Boise, ID (call (208) 985-7650, and ask for Chris). The adapter itself is beautifully produced in highly polished aluminum. In combination with the Edelbrock carb, about ¾" is added in height, so hood clearance is a question. I have a 1953 Commander HT with a 289 V-8 under the hood, and I have no clearance problems using the adapter, so I assume it will not be a problem with the 1953-64 C/Ks. I also have a 1963 Avanti R-2, and unfortunately I do have a clearance problem with it. Over the winter I am going see if I can add enough shims under the ears of the radiator frame to raise the fenders and hood and solve the clearance problem. I doubt I can, but I will try. Lowering the engine a bit will likely not work because of clearance issues with the crank pulley. It would be good if someone else could confirm whether or not hood clearance is a problem with other models such as the Daytonas.

I have no financial stake in this product in any way and I will not profit from any sales. I just pass this on as helpful information.

Comment

I've whipped up a few of these over the years...

[IMG]
        [/IMG]

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Can you 'whip up' a bonnet for a JTS Hawk? Still looking for one......

Comment

Originally posted by (S) View Post
            Can you 'whip up' a bonnet for a JTS Hawk? Still looking for one......
            This what it looks like?

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	R 2 Hawk  SN 60 and Fuel Pump 001.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	1717906 Pretty sure thats it. Here's a pic of what I have, I was told its for an Avanti in another thread.... Wonder how hard it would be to cast these?

Comment

Originally posted by (S) View Post
                Pretty sure thats it. Here's a pic of what I have, I was told its for an Avanti in another thread.... Wonder how hard it would be to cast these?
                I do believe I have one that needs re-chroming.
                Send me a PM and we can discuss...

Jeff

Comment

In response to Hawklover—I already have and use the bonnet that Nick had made up for Avantis. It is very nice and works with some help. But for me it has 2 problems. 1. I like the look of the original bonnet better. 2. The hose from the S/C to Nick’s bonnet does not fit well on the bonnet and I had to jury rig an adapter and wrap the connection with self- vulcanizing tape to get a good seal. For anyone out there interested in buying one of the bonnets Nick had made up, I think I bought the last one, with no more planned for production. That was a number of years ago.
                  Stan Gundry
                  www.AvantiPublishing.com

Comment

Working...
                  X