Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are 1962 Daytona and Lark doors interchangeable? Ripples in the door skin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Are 1962 Daytona and Lark doors interchangeable? Ripples in the door skin?

Restoration of our '62 Daytona continues. Before putting the Daytona in the shop for mechanical work we removed all the exterior trim and chemically stripped the paint and shot the car with primer. In the stripping process we found the passenger door had considerable filler. When the filler was removed we found a tight(close together) series of vertical, shallow "ripples" in the passenger door skin. It looks like what you would see if you throw a small pebble into a pool of water. There is no sign of any other damage and the door lines up and opens and closes fine. I can't imagine how the door could have been damaged to create this effect and and wondering if it is a manufacturing flaw of some kind. This then caused me to wonder if the doors on the Daytona are interchangeable with the Lark 2 door hardtop? Given the different side trim on the Daytona and Lark, are the contours of the doors different as well. And how about the front fenders? Are they interchangeable with the Larks? Just wondering......

A '62 Convertible and a Hardtop are BOTH Larks, they both came in Regal or Daytona Trim >meaning the Lark Daytona's had Bucket Seats Standard.

The difference in extra Body Side Mouldings are just holes, that's it. A 2 Door Hardtop in Regal or Daytona trim DOOR will work fine, it is the SAME.

But that Door should be more than fixable just do a Better job of taking out the wrinkles before a thin coat of filler than the last Guy, Macco or Earl Scheib, they are not being Made anymore you know!

A Lark Deluxe 2 Door SEDAN however, will NOT fit.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 01-08-2018, 12:34 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Any hard top or convertible door from 61 to 62 is interchangeable albeit the trim between 61 (follows the door handle) and 62 (follows the crease) is different. 62 trim should be the same except for the "Daytona" spear that goes under the trim on the door. The trim has cut outs for the spear and the spear is fasten with screws, then the trim goes on top, so don't damage your Daytona trim.

61:

62:

daytona:

I agree with Rich that a little bond is not a crime.. And keeps you from having to adjust the "new" door and adjust the vent window.
      The vent window has three adjustment points. eeek!

Comment

Thanks Rich. I was pretty sure the doors were the same but thought it was worth checking. We do plan to use the door. Actually the Maaco guy did a pretty good job since there were no signs of the wrinkles until we stripped the door. I had an old timer (actually I am an old timer myself!!) say he thought it was fixed at the plant before it was shipped new. Still can't fathom how the wrinkles got there..... Thanks again Rich.

Comment

Thanks for your response, the photos and the good advice. We will certainly use the door. As you suggested changing door would be a bear! I was not aware of the 3 adjustments for the vent window...eek is not strong enough!!

Comment

Originally posted by JKelly View Post
            Restoration of our '62 Daytona continues. Before putting the Daytona in the shop for mechanical work we removed all the exterior trim and chemically stripped the paint and shot the car with primer. In the stripping process we found the passenger door had considerable filler. When the filler was removed we found a tight(close together) series of vertical, shallow "ripples" in the passenger door skin. It looks like what you would see if you throw a small pebble into a pool of water. There is no sign of any other damage and the door lines up and opens and closes fine. I can't imagine how the door could have been damaged to create this effect and and wondering if it is a manufacturing flaw of some kind. This then caused me to wonder if the doors on the Daytona are interchangeable with the Lark 2 door hardtop? Given the different side trim on the Daytona and Lark, are the contours of the doors different as well. And how about the front fenders? Are they interchangeable with the Larks? Just wondering......
            You say "vertical, shallow 'ripples'" then you say "like you would see if you throw a small pebble into a pool of water". It can't be both. The pebble would make concentric circles and not parallel lines. If it is circles, I imagine some foreign material got in the die set when that door was pressed. It wasn't bad enough to discard so it was repaired. Factory repair of panels was not unheard of in the 1950s-1960s.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Thanks for your response, the photos and the good advice. We will certainly use the door. As you suggested changing door would be a bear! I was not aware of the 3 adjustments for the vent window...eek is not strong enough!!
              Eek ( ) is my term for I don't adjust 61/62 HT doors that often and cant remember a good sequence for adjust the 3 screws.

Top front one tilts it fwd and back,
              Top inside door tilts it in and out,
              The bottom one adjusts to follow the bottom angle after the two are set.

And only adjust the vent window after you get the door aligned.

It would be nice if an original factory worker could of provided insight on how to line up the doors and vent windows.

Comment

It would be nice if an original factory worker could of provided insight on how to line up the doors and vent windows.
                At the last tour I was on in the SB assembly plant that had some old employees describing how they installed and adjusted various parts during assembly, they described these tools.

Doors

Windshields

For some reason, not all the windshields survived the adjustment.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                  You say "vertical, shallow 'ripples'" then you say "like you would see if you throw a small pebble into a pool of water". It can't be both. The pebble would make concentric circles and not parallel lines. If it is circles, I imagine some foreign material got in the die set when that door was pressed. It wasn't bad enough to discard so it was repaired. Factory repair of panels was not unheard of in the 1950s-1960s.
                  Thanks Gary...of course you are correct. Poor analogy on my part. The ripples/wrinkles are vertical. What I was trying to describe was the modest height and width of the ripples and their separation. To have these ripples generally in the lower center of the door and for the door edges to be straight is what I found odd, leaving me to think it might be a production problem that was repaired. Whomever repaired it the first time did a pretty good job....we will try to duplicate his work.

Comment

Restoration continues on 62 Daytona. I found a solid 62 four door lark with good front fender, hood and truck lid. Will these part fit my 2 door Daytona?

Comment

If doors are hard to come by and you are interested in removing ripples, a shrinking disc might help. Plenty of info on youtube on using one. Sunchaser makes good ones but here is a less expensive option.

Bob

Comment

Restoration continues on 62 Daytona. I found a solid 62 four door lark with good front fender, hood and truck lid. Will these part fit my 2 door Daytona?
                        Yes, if you really meant trunk.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                        X