PDA

View Full Version : wire knock-off wheels available

Mark L
01-07-2018, 01:39 AM
Someone in Los Angeles is selling a set of six knock-off wire wheels. They are either currently installed on an Avanti, or were isntalled to show how they look. It would be interesting to know the numbers and history of the Avanti. It looks like someone added some material to the wheel cut-outs.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/wto/d/knock-off-wire-wheels-15/6444019693.html

70Avanti2
01-07-2018, 01:53 AM
Think they were a option on 70's Avanti 2's

bezhawk
01-07-2018, 08:59 AM
69575The splined adapter bolts on the stock rotors, and drums. then the wheel slides over the adapter. They fit in stock wheel openings.

spokejr
01-07-2018, 09:29 AM
I can't get as good a view from the pics as I need to identify who made those but I think that they are Borranis, second thought is Dunlop, Zenith is third. I can say those are not Dayton.

I would be glad to go look at either the car or the wheels, they are about a half hour drive from my home in Pasadena.

Ken Buchanan

70Avanti2
01-07-2018, 11:07 AM
Believe Borranis were the option for Avanti 2's

spokejr
01-07-2018, 11:42 AM
Dayton, Zenith and Borrani were all options depending upon what year. In the 60's it was Borrani, come the 70's and Borrani was in a state of flux while Dayton and Zenith were growing. Dunlop in the 70's was trying to find new markets with the decline of British Leyland. Now, Borrani is back, go figure.

PackardV8
01-07-2018, 11:43 AM
I can't get as good a view from the pics as I need to identify who made those but I think that they are Borranis, . . . I can say those are not Dayton.

I would be glad to go look at either the car or the wheels, they are about a half hour drive from my home in Pasadena.

Ken Buchanan

Ken is a wire wheel expert and it would settle the question to have him look at them.

I have a set of Dayton and a set of Borrani, but these in question are different than either. Doesn't mean wheel companies can't have changed designs over the years.

Anyone considering wanting the wire wheel look, agree they have bling, but they're also heavier than the hubs of hell and are very labor-intensive to keep sparkling clean.

jack vines

Green53
01-07-2018, 12:05 PM
They are not Boranni's. I don't think they are Daytons as well.

Denny L

spokejr
01-07-2018, 12:18 PM
I would have to see the splines to know for sure. Daytons I can say they are not as they have their slines on a taper in back. That leaves Borrani, Dunlop or Zenith. These three had their splines on the bore of the hub, like the wheels in the picture. Unfortunately the picture is too dark to see how course or fine the splines are. Zenith used rather course splines, Borrani and Dunlop fairly fine. Borrani stamped the rims for ID with their logo, rim size and model number on the outer face. While the hub shape is more like Dunlop/Zenith when viewed from the outboard side, Borrani did make some hubs the shape seen here too.

I dropped the seller an e-mail. Thanks to this thread, my curiosity is peaked.

Once I get a look, I'll let you know what I find.