PDA

View Full Version : '57 Packard Clipper progress

Buzzard
01-04-2018, 10:35 AM
Finally! Picked up the steering wheel-my pal made it like new. After install, then I'll load it on a trailer and get it to my upholstery shop for finishing(door & side panels, rear seat). This is after last years' frustrating lack of progress.
More as things progress. I'm not complaining but as many of you know this is a work in progress done in stages while I'm in Arizona for about 3-4 months during the winter while the snow hits back at home. The biggest frustration is trying to remember where I left off partially due to my old memory.
Once back from upholstery it's install LS1214 to put her back to factory original.69522
Cheers,
Bill:!:

PackardV8
01-04-2018, 11:46 AM
That Studebaker-Packard will be a beauty when you're done.

And having several projects going on concurrently in two distant locations and relying on that old memory compounds your problem.

You've got more work to do coming up soon. ;>)

jack vines

Buzzard
01-05-2018, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the "heads up" Jack. I can't say I'm waiting with baited breath as we both know how much is ahead for later this year. (Hoist install before motor swap for example). But maybe that's what keep me going instead of waiting for my next tee time.
Hope all is well in the very frozen north. Life is good and warm here in Arizona.
Cheers,
Bill

StudeRich
01-05-2018, 01:34 PM
That Wheel looks really Good Bill, did it have cracks in the usual places to be filled?

TWChamp
01-05-2018, 06:01 PM
The 50 Land Cruiser I just bought will need to have some steering wheel cracks repaired.
I knew I should have bought the mint one at South Bend last year.

57pack
01-06-2018, 09:07 AM
Any new pictures Bill?

Buzzard
01-06-2018, 09:13 AM
Yes this wheel suffered from 40+ years sitting in Socal heat so cracks were very evident in all the usual places. It wasn't missing sections or anything like that so I guess it was a pretty good candidate for the overhaul. I attempted epoxy and just created more work for my pal who I believe ended up using JB Weld and lots of paint. He even sourced more of my correct body color white (from when he painted the car 4 years ago) so it matches perfectly. He made a jig so as to be able to turn the wheel so as to spray the colors uniformly. I've got to load her on the trailer today and then off to Mr.Upholstery on Monday. More pics as it happens.
Bill

Buzzard
02-10-2018, 10:54 AM
Picked her up from the upholstery shop this week and just received the tinted flat glass, so lots to do before heading back up north to BC.703147031570316

Stude Shoo-wop!
02-10-2018, 01:09 PM
That rose and grey patterned interior is just lovely and befitting to 1950’s AmeriCARna! Excellent choice Buzzard!

mbstude
02-10-2018, 01:39 PM
Your upholstery shop did a nice job. What a nice wagon!

Are you missing the chrome handle for the spare tire cover?

Buzzard
02-10-2018, 04:00 PM
Matthew,
Just another "missing in action" piece of the puzzle. Over 6 years and living in two different countries and with an old memory that sucks, this apparently just goes with the territory. I know it's here somewhere.
Jake, the material(headliner, carpet and seat upholstery) is factory 1957 correct from SMS in Oregon and in reality, that is all I'm trying to accomplish. Make the Country Sedan as it was delivered to the dealership in 1957. I'll fill in more details later.
Bill

mbstude
02-10-2018, 04:26 PM
Matthew,
Just another "missing in action" piece of the puzzle. Over 6 years and living in two different countries and with an old memory that sucks, this apparently just goes with the territory. I know it's here somewhere.

Bill

Send me a message with your address. I have an extra used one I’ll send ya.

BobPalma
02-10-2018, 05:24 PM
Picked her up from the upholstery shop this week and just received the tinted flat glass, so lots to do before heading back up north to BC.703147031570316

:!!: Nothing short of beautiful; congrats. :!: ;) :cool: BP

Stude Shoo-wop!
02-10-2018, 05:34 PM
Matthew,
Jake, the material(headliner, carpet and seat upholstery) is factory 1957 correct from SMS in Oregon and in reality, that is all I'm trying to accomplish. Make the Country Sedan as it was delivered to the dealership in 1957. I'll fill in more details later.
Bill

Well, make sure not to keep me waiting! It should be excellent judging from what I have seen so far!

raoul5788
02-11-2018, 09:52 PM
Matthew,
Bill

You actually got SMS to weave your fabric? Good for you, I waited a year and they still hadn't made mine. I can't tell from the picture, does yours have the gold mylar thread running through it?

Buzzard
02-12-2018, 09:06 AM
Chip,
Yes re the gold mylar, but don't forget I've be at this for six years now and the upholstery was one of the first things I was dealing with. If I recall Chip, I seem to remember thinking that SMS was simply middlemen who had the material woven elsewhere. It was probably 5 years ago I received it from SMS and there were other carpet related problems which they never dealt with. I'm not trashing them but I'm also not highly endorsing them. However I am pleased with the end product. More to follow.
Bill

raoul5788
02-12-2018, 09:46 AM
Chip,
Yes re the gold mylar, but don't forget I've be at this for six years now and the upholstery was one of the first things I was dealing with. If I recall Chip, I seem to remember thinking that SMS was simply middlemen who had the material woven elsewhere. It was probably 5 years ago I received it from SMS and there were other carpet related problems which they never dealt with. I'm not trashing them but I'm also not highly endorsing them. However I am pleased with the end product. More to follow.
Bill

I'd be happy to trash them, but it's water under the bridge. The owner is Doug Pollock and I dealt only with him. He insinuated that they made the fabric themselves although he may never have actually said that. I will say if they don't have what you need in stock you are likely to wait a very long time for your order.

acolds
02-12-2018, 10:17 AM
SMS is the only game in town for correct material but they take a long time 2 years is a rush for them I to had a wait may be a Clipper thing . Yours do look nice good job

raoul5788
02-12-2018, 10:51 AM
Chip,
Bill

What did you end up using for the carpet? My local guy couldn't source the same low loop type so he used a Mercedes carpet that's thick and low cut.

Buzzard
02-12-2018, 12:49 PM
Chip,
The carpet was correct in every way, except for fitment. My guy gave up trying to reach them (no return calls) and ended up cutting & sewing in areas you can't see, eg. under- seat heater, under firewall etc. It is long enough ago that
old memory that sucks I don't recall who I was dealing with. Thanks again for your pics of your dash as that led us in the right direction for my guy to replicate yours. I am real pleased and just putting it back together now.
Cheers, Bill

TWChamp
02-12-2018, 05:20 PM
What does SMS stand for, and are they an upholstery shop, or something else? Thanks, Tom

Skip Lackie
02-12-2018, 06:11 PM
They are a supplier of original automotive fabrics..

https://smsautofabrics.com/