Extra engines that need to leave my garage and live in yours

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extra engines that need to leave my garage and live in yours

After many years of gathering car parts, it's time to get rid of some. For some reason, I was always worried that an engine might fail, so I bought some spares. I need more space for other things, so they must go.

1. there are two Commander six engines, one a 49 Commander car engine bolted to a truck bell housing. I turned this engine recently and it may have one valve stuck open, but has compression in the other cylinders.

The other one I cannot get to the serial number pad, but I recall that it is newer than 49. Both are 245 Cubic inch displacement. Both were sold to me as good running, recently rebuilt engines, but I cannot vouch for that, since I have never fired them up. Both have been inside my garage for 35 years or so.

2. Next is a Champion engine that was supposedly from a 52 truck. NOTICE THIS, PLEASE!

3. Finally, is a 55 Rambler flat head six. This has the side mounted water pump and is the largest displacement that these engines went to.

My email is in my profile and I prefer that to PM, but either will work.

Happy New year everyone.

Trying to sell these seems like a losing game so I am willing to give them away.
    Last edited by RadioRoy; 01-04-2018, 08:26 PM.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

If you kick up an old R3 while wading through those engines, I'd like first chance on it... In the meantime, I'll bump it up for ya!

Comment

Roy, the Late Commander Sixes are 245's, sometimes called 246 probably because they are more than 245.5 c.i.d. But then again if they are Bored ?????? c.i.d.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Too bad those Commander 6s are too far away in California.
        1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
        1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
        1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
        1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
        1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
        1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Comment

Originally posted by DougHolverson View Post
          Too bad those Commander 6s are too far away in California.
          I agree. I'd have to find a spot for the Commander 6.
          I already bought a few Champion engines from hot rod projects, to keep them safe from a scrap guy.

Comment

Yeah, why couldn't you be closer to Tennessee...

Comment

Boys, they are free. Figure out how to come and get them, please.
              RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
                I agree. I'd have to find a spot for the Commander 6.
                I already bought a few Champion engines from hot rod projects, to keep them safe from a scrap guy.
                Roy you are from Minnesota, why not just pile them all in the back of your wagon and make a trip home?
                Candbstudebakers
                Castro Valley,
                California

Comment

I don't have the energy any more. I suppose, by some perverse quirk of human nature, that giving them away will make them less desirable to anyone who might want them.

Comment

Will the two big 6s fit in back of a Impreza? >:3 I'm almost tempted.
                    1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case

Comment

Originally posted by DougHolverson View Post
                      Will the two big 6s fit in back of a Impreza? >:3 I'm almost tempted.
                      They may physically fit, but I doubt that the Impreza would hold up under the weight.
                      This reminds me of the past when I transported V8 engines in the back of a Ford station wagon and in the trunk of a Packard.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I got a trailer. One of these engines popped up on the Sioux City Craigslist for $300, so I'm wondering how cheaply I could make a budget trip to the coast?

Comment

My 1999 Olds 88 gets 34 MPG on the highway, but just pulling a small trailer drops the mileage to 24.
                          My diesel 1980 VW Rabbit gets 55 MPG, and I carried home a Model A engine in the back seat, and a Model T engine with the front of the frame, in the rear hatch. The seller at the swap meet looked on in amazement, but he remembered me in the following years of the meet. I should license the diesel and start driving it again.

Comment

any thing can be done if one really wants to do it, I once shipped a 50 star light coupe to Australia and in the trunk I put a big block 454 chevy engine complete and shut the trunk lid, when it got there the new owner Ian Mackellar was a little surprised, he knew it was coming but not in the trunk of a car.
                            Candbstudebakers
                            Castro Valley,
                            California

Comment

Check out Uship.com. This site advertises your load to truckers, if they have room they will throw you a bid. Helps them with fuel money and a lot of times you will be surprised at the price. Those engines don't take up a lot of space and a lot of trucks have plenty of room for the weight.

Worth a shot.

Pat
                              Pat Dilling
                              Olivehurst, CA
                              Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Working...
                              X