Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1957 President classic Help

I bought the one on ebay item #190191884137 I am not sure if i will
    part this out or repair i have located all glass and car is very solid floors like new engine complete etc. Advice on trying to start engine?

Everyone has their own method for loosening those pesky Pistons up, one of our members started a Bar-B-Q with charcoal in the valley of the block to free up the pistons, but presume you want to use the non-destructive easier method!

I would put a small brake bleeder hose on the end of a pump type oil can and fill it with Marvel Mystery Oil or any good highly penetrating oil. Then shoot it in the Cylinders on the top center inboard side of each, at least 2-3 Tablespoons or more and let it soak overnight or a day or two before trying to crank it.

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Everyone has their own method for loosening those pesky Pistons up, one of our members started a Bar-B-Q with charcoal in the valley of the block to free up the pistons, but presume you want to use the non-destructive easier method!

I would put a small brake bleeder hose on the end of a pump type oil can and fill it with Marvel Mystery Oil or any good highly penetrating oil. Then shoot it in the Cylinders on the top center inboard side of each, at least 2-3 Tablespoons or more and let it soak overnight or a day or two before trying to crank it.

StudeRich
      Studebakers Northwest
      Ferndale, WA
      StudeRich
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

It turns free by hand at the crank and the plugs look good But where is the dip stick ? Would you use starting fluid or gas? carb is vey clean and choke works good. I dont have ing key any thoughts to remove or jump out?

Comment

It turns free by hand at the crank and the plugs look good But where is the dip stick ? Would you use starting fluid or gas? carb is vey clean and choke works good. I dont have ing key any thoughts to remove or jump out?

Comment

Welcome to SDC and the Forum, you can join SDC from the top of the page on this forum.

You are going to need a short alligator clip equipped jumper wire and a longer one 3 ft. or so to hot wire it.

You connect the long one, from the ign. switch side of the ceramic resister that should be on the firewall to the + Batt. cable terminal on the Solenoid for Ign. then connect the short one to the same hot side of the Solenoid and just touch it on the small term. on the Solenoid marked "S" for start for 4-5 second bursts to crank the engine, every now and then squirting a small amount of gas from a small container when the engine has stopped turning. This can be dangerous, as you never know if it may backfire out of the carb. and set the gas on fire, that is why you don't want very much of it, and never crank it while putting the gas in.

Also try not to stand in line with the fan, so it does not throw anything including fan blades at you! Above all be careful! It is always much safer to buy a new Ignition switch, and replace it, then to hotwire it! [:0]

If it has been sitting a long time since it was last run, the points may be pitted, corroded and or closed up, so the coil will not fire. It may need new points to run. You check for spark at one of the plug wires if it does not start.

The dipstick tube would have been just to the rear of the center exhaust port on the pass. side cylinder head.

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
            StudeRich
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Welcome to SDC and the Forum, you can join SDC from the top of the page on this forum.

You are going to need a short alligator clip equipped jumper wire and a longer one 3 ft. or so to hot wire it.

You connect the long one, from the ign. switch side of the ceramic resister that should be on the firewall to the + Batt. cable terminal on the Solenoid for Ign. then connect the short one to the same hot side of the Solenoid and just touch it on the small term. on the Solenoid marked "S" for start for 4-5 second bursts to crank the engine, every now and then squirting a small amount of gas from a small container when the engine has stopped turning. This can be dangerous, as you never know if it may backfire out of the carb. and set the gas on fire, that is why you don't want very much of it, and never crank it while putting the gas in.

Also try not to stand in line with the fan, so it does not throw anything including fan blades at you! Above all be careful! It is always much safer to buy a new Ignition switch, and replace it, then to hotwire it! [:0]

If it has been sitting a long time since it was last run, the points may be pitted, corroded and or closed up, so the coil will not fire. It may need new points to run. You check for spark at one of the plug wires if it does not start.

The dipstick tube would have been just to the rear of the center exhaust port on the pass. side cylinder head.

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
              StudeRich
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote: It turns free by hand at the crank and the plugs look good But where is the dip stick ?
                Here is where the dipstick is. If it is not there, maybe the tube bracket has been removed from the head bolt. Look down at the oil pan and see if the dipstick tube is connected

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

quote: It turns free by hand at the crank and the plugs look good But where is the dip stick ?
                  Here is where the dipstick is. If it is not there, maybe the tube bracket has been removed from the head bolt. Look down at the oil pan and see if the dipstick tube is connected

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

Thanks you are a big help

Comment

Thanks you are a big help

Comment

That's a shame Leonard, that beautiful SteelDreamzs '56 or '57 Sedan or Wagon has a really nicely restored engine compartment, so perfect right down to the hose clamps and American Bosch decal on the wiper motor that it makes the battery box really stand out being the wrong color, they were painted at the manufacturer, Black before installation and installed after the fenders were painted, so they are never fender color. [V][:0]

StudeRich
                        Studebakers Northwest
                        Ferndale, WA
                        StudeRich
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

That's a shame Leonard, that beautiful SteelDreamzs '56 or '57 Sedan or Wagon has a really nicely restored engine compartment, so perfect right down to the hose clamps and American Bosch decal on the wiper motor that it makes the battery box really stand out being the wrong color, they were painted at the manufacturer, Black before installation and installed after the fenders were painted, so they are never fender color. [V][:0]

StudeRich
                          Studebakers Northwest
                          Ferndale, WA
                          StudeRich
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Welcome and your handle is very close to mine. Many years ago I brought my 57 Classic back from the edge of the grave, but that was 84 when things were cheaper.
                            Good luck on getting yours going. The 289 is a great motor.

Brian Millette
                            the other 57 classic.

Comment

Welcome and your handle is very close to mine. Many years ago I brought my 57 Classic back from the edge of the grave, but that was 84 when things were cheaper.
                              Good luck on getting yours going. The 289 is a great motor.

Brian Millette
                              the other 57 classic.

Comment

Working...
                              X