Regal touch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regal touch?

I've often wondered why some 59' and 60' Larks have white plastic switch knobs? [heater, windshield wiper, ect.] I assume the chrome ones were used on the up-scale Regal models but I've learned to never assume anything.

Yes '59 Lark Deluxe's had Black Knobs, '60 Deluxe's Had White Knobs, and both '59 & '60 Regals had the '57-'58 Packard Chrome Knobs.

The '59 Black Knobs were carried over to all Champ Trucks, as were the '59 Lark Parking Light Housings, but used ONLY on '61 to '64 Champs.

See how much nicer the '59 Regal Interior looks than the rather austere looking Deluxes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	59LarkRegal4drHawiian Green4.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	1717747
    Last edited by StudeRich; 01-01-2018, 08:05 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Both my 1959 Lark Regal Hardtop and my 1960 Lark Regal 4-Door Sedan had the chrome knobs. My understanding is that lower trim models had the white plastic knobs. Interestingly, I have seen 1959 and 1960 Larks with radios that had the white plastic knobs and with radios that had the chrome knobs -- not necessarily matching the other dash knobs on a particular car. Could be the result of dealer installed radios which was often the case with Studebaker.
      Bill Jackameit
      1964 Challenger Wagonaire
      1964 Daytona Sedan
      Total of 10 Studebakers owned since 1961
      Bill Jackameit's Studebaker Page online since October 1995
      https://billstudepage.homestead.com/files/studpg.htm

sigpic

Comment

The MOST common place of a Radio Installation was always the Dealer. And if you had left over '59 Radios in the Parts Dept. and you were a smart Parts Dept. Manager, you always sold the Oldest on the shelf first to get rid of it.

Most customers would never notice, and if they did you could easily order the correct knobs from your Local Warehouse or South Bend.
        StudeRich
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I sure would have paid the few extra bucks for the Regal interior.

Comment

My '60 regal wagon has chrome dash knobs, the radio has white knobs and white push buttons.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
              The MOST common place of a Radio Installation was always the Dealer.
              That sounds about right based on personal experience -- both the 1964 Challenger Wagonaire and the 1964 Daytona Sedan that I currently own came from the factory without radios. The Wagonaire has an AC 3473 manual tune radio added by the selling dealer and I added an AC-3473 to the Daytona. The 1959 Lark Regal Hardtop that I owned back in the mid-1960's as a "regular" car came without a radio. I added an aftermarket Motorola unit to that one. Nice radio I always thought the face plate Motorola provided for the 1959 and 1960 Lark was better looking than the factory face plate. The 1960 Lark I owned in the 1980's had a dealer installed radio with white knobs. All three of my Hawks came from the factory with push-button radios -- maybe a reflection of them being more expensive upmarket cars. My Champ pickup and 1949 Champion Starlight Coupe came without radios and that is how I kept them. My favorite radio delete plates are the ones on the older cars that had "R A D I O" on fake push buttons which i always felt was the company saying "you were too cheap to buy the radio."
              Bill Jackameit
              1964 Challenger Wagonaire
              1964 Daytona Sedan
              Total of 10 Studebakers owned since 1961
              Bill Jackameit's Studebaker Page online since October 1995
              https://billstudepage.homestead.com/files/studpg.htm

sigpic

Comment

I have seen many radios with white knobs (and push buttons) in 1961 Hawks. I always thought the '61s used black knobs. Maybe, as stated previously, the Dealers were using up their "Old Stock" 1960 radios first.
                Last edited by qsanford; 01-05-2018, 08:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by qsanford View Post
                  I have seen many radios with white knobs (and push buttons) in 1961 Hawks. I always thought the '61s used black knobs. Maybe, as stated previously, the Dealers were using up their "Old Stock" 1960 radios. first
                  That is my thinking as well.
                  RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                  4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                  5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

My '66 Cruiser had no radio on the production order, but has the correct '66 Stude AM radio installed, with black knobs. Probably in the five months it sat in dealer inventory, someone there figured a radio might help move it.
                    Bill Pressler
                    Kent, OH
                    (formerly Greenville, PA)
                    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                    All are in Australia now

Comment

Rather than install Accessories BEFORE the Sale to "Dress them up" to sell, other than the easy install and removal items: Whitewalls and or Wheel Covers, the: Radios, Antennas, Climitizers, Air Conditioning, Bumper Guards, Mirrors, Clocks etc. were usually left for the Customer to personalize the Car to His or Her Taste and Budget, AFTER the Sale.
                      With Studebaker buyers, the "Budget" was a Big part of the choices.

Otherwise you end up with too much R & R Labor and damaged/used looking pre-installed Parts.
                      Last edited by StudeRich; 01-06-2018, 05:52 PM.
                      StudeRich
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Unscientifically to me, seems like more '60's Studes were sold without radios than other makes.

My Cruiser was built with wire wheelcovers, but no PS, PB, or radio.
                        Bill Pressler
                        Kent, OH
                        (formerly Greenville, PA)
                        Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                        Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                        1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                        1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                        All are in Australia now

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pressler View Post
                          Unscientifically to me, seems like more '60's Studes were sold without radios than other makes.

My Cruiser was built with wire wheelcovers, but no PS, PB, or radio.
                          Sort of like my Golden Hawk that was built with power windows and power seat, but no PS or PB.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I recall overhearing in family conversations in the '50s that many if not most of my elders simply did not trust Power Steering or Power Brakes as being dependable or safe. I believe their perception was that when Power steering failed they would not be able to steer, and when Power brakes failed they would not be able to stop. Power windows and seats, not being critical to control of the vehicle were not viewed as being so dangerous.
                            Got to remember, at that time, older conservative American car buyers had little actual experience with these newfangled power options and little incentive to trust their lives to them. Contemporary 'Hot rodders' and performance minded buyers viewed such as being 'sissified' and so much dead weight to be discarded.
                            Tri-5 owners tossed their PS & PB options in the trash pile by the thousands.

If it had not been for the auto companies making them 'standard equipment' on their luxury lines it would have taken much longer for the public to concede to accept PS & PB. And even then there were quite a few buyers who insisted their new Cadillac or Chrysler be fitted with non-power steering and brakes as a condition of the making the sale. Most State Police vehicles were ordered power delete for decades.
                            Buddy used to drive a big old '69 C-Body 440 powered ex-State Police car. No Power steering, and only god knows how many turns lock to lock.
                            One of my '64 Daytona's was factory equipped with PS, long since removed, and I have never missed it, just
                            less trouble prone useless junk to work around.

Last edited by Jessie J.; 01-06-2018, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Stuerich probably nailed it. A dealer could get more money 'installing' and 'marking up' extra items. I know they did this at the Ford place I worked at. in the 2000's

I have owned and driven 2 Hawks that had the power steering pumps removed. My current Hawk I just love how it handles without the pump. I assume eventually I'll need to look into it before the ram seizes up but I love how it steers and drives. Any thoughts on this? as the thread drifts........ I plan to start a new thread

Comment

Working...
                              X