No announcement yet.

How to find original color of your car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to find original color of your car?

I have a 56 champion 2dr. The car to have been "restored" in the 80s. How do you find out what the color originaly was? The paint job they did on it was a decent one and was taken down to the metal before repainting. Any help would be wonderful.

Sean

Orlando FLA
    Orlando FLA

Get the cars production order from studebakermuseum.org. Or, it's possible that the piece of paper stating the color is still stapled to the underside of the dash, on the glove-box side.

Comment

Many ways. Unless the car was dipped in the 80's I'm sure there are many places where the original paint still exsisted. The easiest way though would be to contact the Stude museum and get the build sheet. If you are looking for a challenge start taking inside panels off and look for diffent colors. Take the door jam mech off and see if they painted around it,lift some rubber/ss trim up and look for a color change, Remember it could be the correct color already and you would be able to tell this because the org. would still be faded. Good luck.

1956 Studebaker Pelham Wagon Houston, Texas
      Remember, \"When all is said and done. More is always said then ever done.\"

Comment

If you're lucky, you can find the original color tag glued to the underside of the glovebox; or, you can order a copy of the original buildsheet from the Studebaker National Museum.

It's unlikely the repaint was done so well a remnant of the original color doesn't still exist, under the cowl, under the door sills or under the interior door panel trim.

Brad Johnson
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        33 Rockne 10
        51 Commander Starlight
        53 Commander Starlight

previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Pull out the bottom of the back seat. Usually even in a total rebuild they don't paint in there unless it was rusted out. It has the virtue in being easy, and the seat goes back in just as easily. Also, the paint is usually not faded like doors and such.

Lotsa Larks!
          K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
          Ron Smith
          Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
          K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
          Ron Smith
          Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Working...
          X