PDA

View Full Version : 1941 Commader how to find dealer that sold car

Bruce
12-31-2017, 08:44 AM
I have a 1941 Commander that I just purchased and am doing a history on it. Can I find a way to what Dealership sold the car? Or track it from assembly to dealer to owners?

fatboylust
12-31-2017, 10:04 AM
The factory production order usually specifies the initial destination although sometimes cars were shipped to a staging area. The National Studebaker Museum will sell you a copy of the production order if you provide them the firewall tag data and the serial number.

Bruce
12-31-2017, 10:51 AM
The factory production order usually specifies the initial destination although sometimes cars were shipped to a staging area. The National Studebaker Museum will sell you a copy of the production order if you provide them the firewall tag data and the serial number.

Thanks so much for the informative reply! Being all new to this as a first time Studebaker owner, I truly appreciate any advice I can attain. I now know what that fire wall tag is by your reply, and will use it to obtain that information from the National Museum.

Thanks Again!

Bruce

rockne10
12-31-2017, 12:21 PM
The Serial Number is the information the Museum needs; not the firewall tag.

TWChamp
12-31-2017, 01:31 PM
Just to be sure, I send all the information on the firewall tag as well as the serial number.

StudeRich
12-31-2017, 04:22 PM
Thanks for reminding him Brad.

It does sound like the OP may be planning to just send the BODY Tag Info, which alone as you/we know is useless alone, will NOT work and really should not be needed.

Bruce
12-31-2017, 06:22 PM
Thanks for reminding him Brad.

It does sound like the OP may be planning to just send the BODY Tag Info, which alone as you/we know is useless alone, will NOT work and really should not be needed.

Thanks to all that have replied, I haven't had a chance to order it yet, but when I do, I surely will give all the information that you all have suggested.

Thanks to all!

Bruce

rockne10
01-01-2018, 05:07 PM
The production order will tell you if the body tag you have is the one that was on the car when it left the assembly line. These tags are seldom removed or replaced, but it does happen, as they are only held in with two screws, while the Serial tag is usually spot welded.