Decent builder, '64 R1, Auto, Air. @ DVAP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decent builder, '64 R1, Auto, Air. @ DVAP

Saw this @ Desert Valley in AZ this week. Pretty decent fixer upper. It looks like the fire started at the battery or voltage regulator? She will need some new plastic but for some guys, this would be pretty minor.
    I didn't take the time to give it a full procto, though things looked pretty complete. This includes the boiler room. Perhaps it willl live again?
    Meant a '63, it has the long battery!
    Attached Files
    '64 R2 back on da road again

A wise man once said "There is nothing more expensive than a cheap Avanti.". This one looks like it fits the bill. (Of course, it may not be so cheap , being that it's at DVAP.)
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
    Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Wasn't someone just a few weeks ago offering a free body that could be used for this?

Comment

Whoa! Did a honey badger get to that front clip or was it a Billy-Bob with alcohol and a sledgehammer? Besides that bit of damage though, she appears to be salvageable. I'd say go for it but tread softly.
        Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
          Wasn't someone just a few weeks ago offering a free body that could be used for this?
          I think that is one that is now on eBay starting very low and with no reserve. The last that I looked (earlier today) it was just over $4K.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Does anyone know if that Brownish or Gold LF Fender and Door seen at the LR of the Avanti belongs to a '64-'65 Lark Type?
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Think so, or I wonder if more likely a 63 based on what I think the side trim shows

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
              Does anyone know if that Brownish or Gold LF Fender and Door seen at the LR of the Avanti belongs to a '64-'65 Lark Type?
              Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Originally posted by 63t-cab View Post
                Think so, or I wonder if more likely a 63 based on what I think the side trim shows
                A 1963 would not have that separated side trim on the front fender.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Bob Langer
                  Glenshaw,PA

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                    It may be the 1958 Packard they have for sale.

Bob Langer
                    Glenshaw,PA

Comment

Bob, after viewing both pics I believe You nailed it. funny thing is I first thought it might be a 62 Lark "cuz it looked like maybe it was a wrap around windshield" but then changed My mind and thought 63 Lark Daytona

Originally posted by Bob Langer View Post

https://www.dvap.com/project_car/1958-packard-coupe/
                      Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Langer View Post

https://www.dvap.com/project_car/1958-packard-coupe/
                        That is probably what is seen in the other picture.

They call it a "coupe" and a "two door hardtop", yet the pictures show a four door sedan.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

It IS amazing how that place 'Thinks" they can buy a rusted junker for $50.00 or $100.00 and flip it for around $3000.00!

Everyone deserves a Profit, but a Killing is not required.

Yep, it was the Junk '58 Packard 4 Door for $4,250.00 the color and bent Antenna matches.
                          Last edited by StudeRich; 12-30-2017, 06:23 PM.
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Expect the Avanti to take somewhat northward of 20k and 2 to 5 years DIY depending upon your skills and circumstances. Double or triple+ that if your plan includes pro shop restoration. Few things are more expensive than a cheap Avanti. Most as far down the line as this one, will end up sitting for more decades once the costs of bringing it back are realized. Of course there are those few with the facilities, parts stash, and actual Avanti restoration experience to pull it off for less, but it certainly isn't me, or 99.9% of the enthusiasts I know.

Comment

Originally posted by Jessie J. View Post
                              Expect the Avanti to take somewhat northward of 20k and 2 to 5 years DIY depending upon your skills and circumstances. Double or triple+ that if your plan includes pro shop restoration. Few things are more expensive than a cheap Avanti. Most as far down the line as this one, will end up sitting for more decades once the costs of bringing it back are realized. Of course there are those few with the facilities, parts stash, and actual Avanti restoration experience to pull it off for less, but it certainly isn't me, or 99.9% of the enthusiasts I know.
                              For true. Everyone who's seen it over the years has been wise enough to pass on it. That's why it's in a wrecking yard. At $7,500, one could part it out and almost break even.

On a similar vein, a flash point for me is when we see a listing of a junker such as this one, and the seller says, "Easy restoration." If it's so forkin' easy, why haven't you already done it?" !!

jack vines
                              PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                              X