brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brakes

Started working today on setting up my front brake conversion. If everything goes as planed it should take a drum brake car and turn it into a late model disc brake set up for about $300 in parts including the caliper bracket using easy available over the counter late model parts. Will keep all of us CASO's informed in how it goes and do a break down on what you need to do and how.

What vehicle?

Comment

Setting this up for a Gt hawk but sure it will work on others as I think a lot of Studebaker hubs are pretty much the same. I know the lark control arms are so would think the spindle and hub isn't that much different.

Comment

save the front drums if in decent shape for CASO's

Comment

It's been done before. Stock Stude hub, no modification. Homemade 10mm thick waterjet cut steel brackets. grade 8 bolts and spacers to fit the spindle back side level. Off the shelf Jeep rotor over Ram truck shouldered lug studs. If one had the stock rotors, then all you would have to do is make the brackets and order the calipers for thinner non vented rotors.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0058 %281%29.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	1717676Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0061 %281%29.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	1717677
          Bez Auto Alchemy
          573-318-8948
          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Benz. I got the 2000 Jeep rotors. They fit the hub just fine but will need longer studs. The stock jeep look like they will work but are going to need a slight ream on the hole size. Waiting on s-10 calipers and a bracket from speedway motors and will need to rework the bracket to fit as needed. Which looks like to only hard part of the whole deal. So should be real close to your system. Then just going to add a corvette double master and a adjustable valve to the rear. No power.

Comment

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
              Benz. I got the 2000 Jeep rotors. They fit the hub just fine but will need longer studs. The stock jeep look like they will work but are going to need a slight ream on the hole size. Waiting on s-10 calipers and a bracket from speedway motors and will need to rework the bracket to fit as needed. Which looks like to only hard part of the whole deal. So should be real close to your system. Then just going to add a corvette double master and a adjustable valve to the rear. No power.
              That should work fine. look at some of the Wilwood calipers, they are not very expensive.
              BTW, the name is Bez, no "N" like the Mercedes. Either that, or I have been spelling it wrong my whole life.
              Bez Auto Alchemy
              573-318-8948

Comment

A lot of modern brakes can be made to fit relitively easily depending on your skills and tools. Here's my '62 GT with '04 Mustang brakes, a 3/8" plate is all the mount is made of. I'm putting the mustang rear disks on too but will wait a bit because I may be swapping the rear axle.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	62 Stude with 04 mustang front brake.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	1717692

Comment

Here's the hub and rotor. The hub is the stock Studebaker with the drum removed and the rotor is from a 2000 Jeep Cherokee front 4 wheel drive. The stock studs are just a tad short by the time you get the rotor and the wheel on and would by unsafe as they do not extend pass the nut by the 1/2" min. You should extend pass the nut by the diameter of the stud as a min.which would be 1/2". Hub fits the rotor just fine and fits in to the wheel as it should with room to spare. Rotor is 11" and cost me $32 at the local parts store. Lot better that $199. ea. Next is to mount hub to spindle and be sure everything clears and I don't think there will be any problems. Then it's simply fit the caliper and build the bracket to hold it where it needs to be as soon as they get here.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
                    Then it's simply fit the caliper and build the bracket to hold it where it needs to be as soon as they get here.
                    That's where any problem that exists will arise. Everything will fit around a rotor easy. Don't forget to check your wheel fitment round the caliper too. That is where you'll probably run into problems if you want to run a stock type steel wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by bensherb View Post
                      That's where any problem that exists will arise. Everything will fit around a rotor easy. Don't forget to check your wheel fitment round the caliper too. That is where you'll probably run into problems if you want to run a stock type steel wheel.
                      That is the good thing about the Jeep rotor. It has one of the deepest offsets to move the caliper inboard to clear the wheels.
                      Bez Auto Alchemy
                      573-318-8948

Comment

Working...
                      X