PDA

View Full Version : Wow. Pre-war Studebaker photos from Vancouver, B.C.

Scott
12-26-2017, 10:20 PM
I hope this link works, but there are a lot of Studebaker photos to drool over. You can even zoom in and pretend you're there. Most of these are from one photographer: S. Thomson. Lots of delivery vehicles. My favorites so far are the Sigmore Motors display and the Studebaker Prize Winning Exhibit at Vancouver Agricultural Exhibition, 1917. Enjoy!
http://searcharchives.vancouver.ca/informationobject/browse?topLod=0&query=Studebaker

junior
12-27-2017, 06:51 AM
Thanks for posting...did you notice the T speedster in the photo: Part of Fleet of Studebaker 6 cyl. cars, Blue funnel Line? That would have been so cool tooling around in that rig back in the day! I like the contrast in size between the Furd and Studes. cheers, junior

http://searcharchives.vancouver.ca/part-of-fleet-of-studebaker-6-cyl-cars-blue-funnel-line

8E45E
12-27-2017, 06:57 AM
I always liked those panel trucks which I posted the link here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?20484-Studebakers-and-digital-photo-archives&highlight=vancouver+talking

And here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?68873-Vancouver-Branch-of-the-Studebaker-Corporation-of-Canada

Craig

Commander Eddie
12-27-2017, 10:43 AM
That is a fine collection of period photos. Thanks for sharing. I really enjoyed examining all the details. After looking at those cars and trucks I don't don't know why anybody would buy anything else back then.

Scott
12-27-2017, 11:07 AM
It's been a while, Craig. I knew I'd seen some of the photos before and maybe that's because of the link you provided back then. Thanks! It never hurts to look again, huh?

I always liked those panel trucks which I posted the link here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?20484-Studebakers-and-digital-photo-archives&highlight=vancouver+talking

Craig

Scott
12-27-2017, 11:12 AM
Has anyone noticed the Westminster Trust Company sign on the building in that Blue Funnel picture? "4% interest paid on deposits"! Good times - new Studebakers and 4% interest. I don't feel so good about "progress" anymore.

DougHolverson
12-27-2017, 11:24 AM
Too bad Studebaker didn't push the truck business more in those days. Those old trucks are kind of cool.

Greenstude
12-27-2017, 05:23 PM
The "Blue Funnel Line" cars have 1917 British Columbia license plates. The Studebaker to the left has a Dealer plate.

dictator27
12-28-2017, 12:44 AM
Stuart Thomson was Vancouver's official photographer for more than 4 decades. I have cruised around the photo archives many times; but he did not do anything similar for any other auto maker. I believe Studebaker must have approached him for publicity photos.

DougHolverson
12-28-2017, 07:11 AM
Or maybe he was smitten by Studebakers because they're just that awesome.... :3

dictator27
12-28-2017, 08:35 AM
In the early 30's the same car can be seen in many of his street scene photos. Apparently he was driving a Pontiac at that time.

Studebaker Wheel
12-28-2017, 11:53 AM
These photos are outstanding in composition and clarity. Seldom seen vehicles in their natural settings, very impressive. The photographers equipment was obviously top notch. I note the images are from glass plate negatives and I assume the negative size was 8 X 10" therefore all prints were 1 to 1 in size. Really great stuff! They do have two vehicles marked as Studebakers that are not. One the fire chiefs car with J. H. Carlisle looks to be a Selden car. The second the "Love Special," not sure what it is but definitely not a Studebaker, but a very unique and expensive car for the time.

8E45E
12-28-2017, 01:08 PM
If I remember reading right, British Columbia was officially 'right hand drive' until 1920, and I believe the last province/state in North America to be RHD.

Interesting the 1917 photo of the Ag Center show there's a mix of both RHD and LHD Studebakers on display.

Craig

dictator27
12-28-2017, 06:44 PM
The "Love Special is a Roamer. BC drove on the left until 1920 but the shift from RH to LHD wasn't completed until 1922. The photo of the Studebaker service station also has a mix of left and right control vehicles. The Westminster Trust building (Blue Funnel Line) is actually in New Westminster, not Vancouver. It still exists and is one of the best preserved buildings in the area. The interior is still as it was in 1904.

altair
12-29-2017, 10:02 PM
I believe the 1914 - 1918 Studebaker trucks chassis was a ww1 military spec and were outfitted as trucks, military ambulances, delivery vehicles, passenger busses and a host of other configurations before and after the war. There were several Studebaker dealers in the Vancouver area eventually turning in to Datsun dealers and then in to Nissan Dealers that are still thriving to day. I went in to a Nissan dealership and told the sales man that the grandfather dealership was a Studebaker Dealership, I don't think he was too impressed.

altair
12-29-2017, 10:15 PM
69381This is Stuart Thompson

Scott
12-29-2017, 10:58 PM
Happy guy.

69381This is Stuart Thompson

dictator27
12-30-2017, 01:29 PM
Photos 5166, 5171 and 5272 were all taken on the (then new) Georgia Viaduct easily identified by the setting sun motif cast into the bridge railing. The provincial flag has a setting sun on it. Street car tracks are visible in 5272. They were never used. The building in 5272 is the Vancouver Armory which is still there.
Interesting to note that the Studebaker service station was at 1233 W Georgia and Willis Kingsley dealership was at 1190 W Georgia.