PDA

View Full Version : Fundamental things

alaipairod
12-26-2017, 07:38 PM
When I bought our '57 GH, we only drove a few miles, before going into a frame off resto.
The engine that came with the Hawk ran good enough to leave it alone for later attention.
That didn't last, and an engine replacement with correct numbers and a total rebuild came to past.
Adhering to the break in regimen.....Under 3k rpm, and 60mph is what I was doing.....Yesterday I took the Hawk out for his longest run, about 30 miles.
Pulling up the driveway, he stalled......Symptoms were like a vapor lock...........That had never happened in prior runs.....I let him cool off for 15 minutes, and he started right up......After exhausting all theories, I zeroed in on the gas tank.........I found out that the gas cap had been replaced with a non venting cap, sometime during the resto project. My local Napa store sold me a certified venting cap..........Tomorrow's test run will tell the story........

StudeRich
12-26-2017, 09:00 PM
Yes, you were pulling a Vacuum on the Tank, that will do it. :(

jclary
12-27-2017, 06:21 AM
Good thing you hadn't planned a longer trip. Very fortunate to get back home and be able to diagnose the situation in the comfort of your own driveway and not panicked in the middle of distracted, impatient, unforgiving traffic. Thanks for posting. This is an important tip for others who could find themselves in a similar situation.

fpstude
12-27-2017, 09:02 AM
That is an impressive catch. As said by John, you could have been in a worse location. I won't forget this example.

TWChamp
12-27-2017, 10:33 AM
Lucky the suction didn't collapse the tank. I've heard of that happening.

Mike Van Veghten
12-27-2017, 10:51 AM
Just for my clarification...

alaipairod - You are talking a "body" off of frame restoration, or actually turning the car over and taking the frame off of the body ?

Mike

alaipairod
12-27-2017, 03:42 PM

alaipairod - You are talking a "body" off of frame restoration, or actually turning the car over and taking the frame off of the body ?

Mike
......Sorry about the confusion Mike, It was a body off of frame resto.

StudeRich
12-27-2017, 04:04 PM

alaipairod - You are talking a "body" off of frame restoration, or actually turning the car over and taking the frame off of the body?Mike

Help me understand the difference Mike, does it REALLY Matter if you take the Frame off of the Body, or the Body Off of the Frame?
Sounds to me like the result is the SAME, clean and refinish them BOTH. :confused:

Jerry Forrester
12-28-2017, 08:36 AM
Help me understand the difference Mike, does it REALLY Matter if you take the Frame off of the Body, or the Body Off of the Frame?
Sounds to me like the result is the SAME, clean and refinish them BOTH. :confused:

I'm with Rich this time. That doesn't happen very often.

TWChamp
12-28-2017, 04:01 PM
I'm with Rich this time. That doesn't happen very often.

I am also. I've always heard the term "frame off", and clearly knew the meaning. It's only lately that I hear people trying to change the expression.