Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: 1955 rocker panel

Hi,

I'm in the process of replacing the rocker panels on my 1955 Speedster. Have purchased the new ones from Classic Enterprises and have the passenger side panel removed and ready for install. Question is this, how is the best way to weld the upper edge (between the channel) to the inner panel? I have both a spot welder and a mig welder but it doesn't appear as though I can get either one between the channel to match the factory attachment. The lower edge is just a pinch weld so real easy but the upper kind of has me stumped.

Jim

How was it originally fastened or welded?
    For hard to replicate spot welds, you could drill a hole in the top panel and plug weld it to the lower panel.

Comment

Jim, You should have enough room to work the mig around the upper channel area. I'm not familiar with CE rockers,but even if they have a more narrow channel than n.o.s. rockers I think You'll have enough working room.
      Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

I plug welded mine, drilled a series of 3/16" holes and created plug (rosette) welds along the top. Been a while ago, but I don't recall any access issues. Make sure the weight is on the wheels and suspension when you weld them in place, those frames flex a lot if the car is on a two post lift.

Comment

Thanks all,

The upper part of the rocker panel channel is 1/4" x 1/2" x 9/16" so my concern was getting the tip of my mig welder into this channel. I may just cut down the tip to fit, similar to the ones that Eastwood sells. I also have the body off the frame so I hoping flex is not a problem.

Thanks again,

Jim

Comment

I welded the rockers like 63 R2 Hawk did, I can’t get the tip of the welder in the channel (bear in mind I have two wire welders, a Lincoln 252 and the Hobart Handler 140 and for light work use the Hobart), just have a little extra stick out to start your plug weld. Since weather strip goes in the channel I use a Dremel with a small grinder disk that cleans the weld up adequately. I think I will use Seam sealer to seal the upper joint.

Comment

IIRC, I turned the shield gas way up so I could run the weld wire out far enough to reach inside the channel. I remember having some difficulty seeing what I was doing. And yes, some Dremel cleanup was required! Been a while, but I don't remember anything too difficult to get the welds in place.

Comment

I am strongly considering attaching the set of NOS rockers for my speedster with body panel adhesive. I got the idea from Horsepower Enterprises on the Speedster they recently built. It is one of the finest I have ever seen. Doing it this way, you are sure to never have rust issues and for a total restoration like I am doing, you can get the alignment perfect.

Here is the YouTube video showing it. I didn't talk to them to confirm that's what they actually did, but it must be since they finished painted the car before the rockers are installed. I would welcome feedback on this approach.

This is the best full Studebaker restoration set of videos I have found.

1:00 https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk2Zk20Etf4

2:15 https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4gq4zyXdVL0

Matt
                Matthew Wendt

Comment

I am corrected, it looks like all the priming was done with them off, but the final painting was installed. I emailed them to ask. I wouldn't think you would weld with all that primer work done.

I am surprised the order that they painted the car, it looks like they mounted the body, then finished painting it. I guess you can get gaps perfect, but the risk of overspray is too high for me.

Notice no undercoater and the firewall color, is that correct? It looks like an LA built car.

Matt
                  Matthew Wendt

Comment

I use a weldable primer on all panel areas that need to be welded. Area is primed against rust, welded on and will be sealed and painted as the build progresses.
                    sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                    1950 Champion Convertible
                    1950 Champion 4Dr
                    1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                    1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Do to the way the Studebaker body is build and the fact that they have a known weakness to start with I would not use panel adhesive on the top or sides of the rocker panel. Use on the bottom at the pinch weld would be a good idea but any flex of the body could cause the adhesive to break loose anywhere else.

Comment

Got a chuckle out of this thread, has everyone here lost the ability to do some simple gas welding? It's not that hard to do!

Comment

Originally posted by Hallabutt View Post
                          Got a chuckle out of this thread, has everyone here lost the ability to do some simple gas welding? It's not that hard to do!
                          We're not allowed to play with fire. LOL

Comment

Working...
                          X