1958 Packard rear window

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1958 Packard rear window

Hi everyone - I'm looking for a rear window for a 1958 Packard 4 door sedan. I know there is lot of common parts with the Hawks. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Jim O
    1963 Avanti R2
    1951 Champion Convertible
    1953 Commander
    1957 Golden Hawk

No Body Parts on a Sedan or Wagon are common to any C or K Bodies; (Coupes, Hardtops and Hawks).

It will take a '58 Champion, Commander or President Sedan, or of course another '58 Packard SEDAN to get a Rear Glass from, or order NEW.

REFERENCE: 1953 to 1958 Studebaker Body Parts Catalog, Page 185, Group 2125, Picture Number 2125-1 Rear Glass

W, F and Y Bodies: Part Number 1326020 Clear, 1326021 Green Tinted.

This Glass is ONE YEAR ONLY!
    It is quite a bit taller than a '53-'55 Sedan, '56-'57 Sedan or '53-'61 C and K or EVEN a '59-'60 Lark, all having the same basic SHAPE but different.

Last edited by StudeRich; 12-25-2017, 07:59 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Rich, I never owned a 58 and likely out in left field. I thought the roof skin was lowered for 58 sedan models , and if so would the rear glass be shorter in height
      "again I'm guessing " and not taller.
      Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Originally posted by 63t-cab View Post
        Rich, I never owned a 58 and likely out in left field. I thought the roof skin was lowered for 58 sedan models ,
        and if so would the rear glass be shorter in height "again I'm guessing " and not taller.
        Good point-- the sedan roof was indeed flattened out in '58.
        As for the glass height-- I can check tomorrow if no one else does first...

Click image for larger version

Name:	17635339_756924294476960_5704660919769130106_o.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	1717647

StudeDave '57
        US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
        SDC Member since 1985

past President
        Whatcom County Chapter SDC
        San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
        San Diego Chapter SDC
        North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

glass

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          No Body Parts on a Sedan or Wagon are common to any C or K Bodies; (Coupes, Hardtops and Hawks).

It will take a '58 Champion, Commander or President Sedan, or of course another '58 Packard SEDAN to get a Rear Glass from, or order NEW.

REFERENCE: 1953 to 1958 Studebaker Body Parts Catalog, Page 185, Group 2125, Picture Number 2125-1 Rear Glass

W, F and Y Bodies: Part Number 1326020 Clear, 1326021 Green Tinted.

This Glass is ONE YEAR ONLY!
          It is quite a bit taller than a '53-'55 Sedan, '56-'57 Sedan or '53-'61 C and K or EVEN a '59-'60 Lark, all having the same basic SHAPE but different.

http://studebakervendors.com
          I've been looking on line for new glass but so far no luck but I was looking Packard glass not Studebaker.
          1963 Avanti R2
          1951 Champion Convertible
          1953 Commander
          1957 Golden Hawk

Comment

Rich, I never owned a 58 and likely out in left field. I thought the roof skin was lowered for 58 sedan models , and if so would the rear glass be shorter in height
            "again I'm guessing " and not taller.
            I didn't look it up, but the way that I remember it is that the roof panel itself was made flatter/less of a crown. I do not believe that the glass changed from 1957 to 1958 (sedans).
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by n29we View Post
              I've been looking on line for new glass but so far no luck but I was looking Packard glass not Studebaker.
              You can use either one, so long as it's for a sedan.

Originally posted by studegary View Post
              I didn't look it up, but the way that I remember it is that the roof panel itself was made flatter/less of a crown.
              I do not believe that the glass changed from 1957 to 1958 (sedans).

There's really no need to 'look it up. Photographic proof is in my post above.
              That photo blows up pretty big, and in it you can clearly compare either one of my '57 sedans to my Packard sedan.

Also- if the number hadn't changed for '58, I'm sure Dad would not have worded his post the way he did.

StudeDave '57
              StudeDave '57
              US Navy (retired)

SDC Member since 1985

past President
              San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
              San Diego Chapter SDC

Comment

I don't doubt that 58s are by them selves one year only. but find it hard to think they are "quite a bit taller" than the others . next time I see some of these at a meet I'll satisfy My curiosity !

Originally posted by StudeDave57 View Post
                You can use either one, so long as it's for a sedan.

There's really no need to 'look it up. Photographic proof is in my post above.
                That photo blows up pretty big, and in it you can clearly compare either one of my '57 sedans to my Packard sedan.

Also- if the number hadn't changed for '58, I'm sure Dad would not have worded his post the way he did.

StudeDave '57
                Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

As for the glass height-- I can check tomorrow if no one else does first...
                  After a review of what would be involved and how odd the photos would look trying to compare a (nearly) bottom of the line '57 sedan to a top of the line '58 sedan-- it's of no use unless the parts are off the car, with zero trim mucking up the view. Sorry.
                  S-P already did us the service of providing different part numbers-- why the need to question them 60 years later...?

Maybe someday when/if I have the '58 and one (or more) of the '57s apart- I may also have my '59 apart.
                  Wouldn't THAT be a hooot....?

I don't doubt that 58s are by them selves one year only.
                  but find it hard to think they are "quite a bit taller" than the others .
                  next time I see some of these at a meet I'll satisfy My curiosity !
                  We have indeed established that '58s are all their own, yes.

I'm not sure why you quoted me, but....uhhmmmm.....okay.....?

StudeDave '57
                  StudeDave '57
                  US Navy (retired)

SDC Member since 1985

past President
                  San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                  San Diego Chapter SDC

Comment

Never mind Dave, eventually I'll get the answer I'm really looking for !

After a review of what would be involved and how odd the photos would look trying to compare a (nearly) bottom of the line '57 sedan to a top of the line '58 sedan-- it's of no use unless the parts are off the car, with zero trim mucking up the view. Sorry.
                    S-P already did us the service of providing different part numbers-- why the need to question them 60 years later...?

Maybe someday when/if I have the '58 and one (or more) of the '57s apart- I may also have my '59 apart.
                    Wouldn't THAT be a hooot....?

We have indeed established that '58s are all their own, yes.

I'm not sure why you quoted me, but....uhhmmmm.....okay.....?

StudeDave '57
                    Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

One year only. It is a little taller than 56-57. Original National Auto Glass Specifications number B555. In today's parlance DB00555.
                      KURTRUK
                      (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Studebaker International has them:
                        1326020 Clear. 1958 sedan.
                        ...........................................$350.00 ea.
                        1326021 Tinted. 1958 sedan.
                        ...........................................$375.00 ea.
                        Nice evening to all.
                        sigpic

Comment

South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

I have a plain, non tinted one from a 58 Studebaker four door sedan, but it is in Redwood City, California. Way across the country.

Free for the taking. You are welcome to come and get it.
                            Last edited by RadioRoy; 12-28-2017, 11:14 AM.
                            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

I have a 58 packard parts car

Comment

Working...
                              X