GT Prep For Paint Job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GT Prep For Paint Job

Next week's mission is to get the 63GT prepped and delivered to the paint & body shop by Friday. I have all parts needed to repair the rear end damage: trunk, rear shroud, etc.. But must remove all, "bright work" and a few extra pieces before taking it to the shop, since I am changing the body color from black to champagne gold. In addition to everything shiny, will remove the door panels, since he is going to remove the doors to paint the jams. Also will remove the fender vent doors, and front & rear corner pieces, so as to get paint everywhere it needs to go. Gonna leave the front gravel shield on, but will remove and disassemble the side grills.

Having disassembled and repainted the car only about four yeas ago, I anticipate everything will come off easily. But it is still gonna take 15-20 hours in the garage to get my part done. The paint & body guy said it will take him 3-4 weeks from the day I drop it off. So should have a fun February putting it all back together.

It is not gonna be concours level, but hopefully very presentable when done. Gonna leave the top white, and the trunk and engine bay black. Not worried about being, "correct" when it comes to details like that. Just gotta get up the gumption to get out into the garage and get started.
    Last edited by JoeHall; 12-23-2017, 12:11 PM.

Sounds like the right way to do it, now get out there and git 'er done!! When I painted my Hawk, I took all that stuff off and I also *carefully* drilled out the swages on the headlight surrounds and drilled and tapped the bosses 6-32 so I could disassemble and paint the die cast pieces without having to try and mask the chrome part. Reassembled with SS button head socket screws so the "next time" I paint the car I can take 'em apart easily. And don't forget to paint the metalwork behind the hood satin black, or you will be reminded on the forum....

Comment

Are you painting under the hood also?

Comment

Joe, I think You have a sound plan in the works. the end results should be nothing short of what You're striving for, and look forward to lots of pics.
        Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Originally posted by harry View Post
          Are you painting under the hood also?
          Reread the initial post - he is leaving it black.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Well I drove the car the 10 miles to the paint & body shop today. Left the head & tail lights on for the drive, in case I ran into LE along the way. With the wife's help, it took only a few minutes to remove them, once there. It is totally stripped down, so now the ball is in their court, and they estimate less than a month, "unless we get swamped with deer hits again". Last month, with hunting season and deer moving around more than usual, they were swamped with cars that had hit deer. Sounds like that is a perk they can count on annually, thanks to deer season.

They are doing a frame-off on a 65 Chevelle, sitting in a corner, and the detail of their work is impressive. The shop has three full time people, and each seems to have a specialty, in addition to general skills. One guy operates the, "puller" which they will use on my car, in the area where the trunk latch is located.

Looking forward to getting it back. If they do as well as I anticipate, they will probably get the 56J this spring or summer. Last painted in 1987, it is way overdue. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Comment

Joe, it sounds like You have a pretty good grip on what the Shop is capable of doing with the Hawk. are You going base coat / clear coat ?
              Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Yep, BC/CC. This is the first car I ever tried BC/CC on, and did so last time around when it was painted black & white four years ago. That turned out disappointing, though I really have myself to blame more than anything. I decided to use a paint brand I have since forgotten the name of. It is supposedly real good stuff, but has major differences in how it is to be applied. The painter was not familiar with it, and there were problems. This shop owner said he only uses PPG, and would not even discuss anything else. So I said, PPG it is. Learned my lesson leas time. Gonna stick with what the painter knows best.

Comment

PPG IS good.
                  Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

I sure wish my 50 Champion was painted with PPG enamel when it was restored in the early 90's.
                    The unknown brand lacquer looks like crap now.

Comment

True PG is as good as it gets. They have their cheaper lines called Omni and Shop Line. As long as they are using actual PPG, you are good to go.
                      Wayne
                      "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wdills View Post
                        True PG is as good as it gets. They have their cheaper lines called Omni and Shop Line. As long as they are using actual PPG, you are good to go.
                        Reading on-line, it looks like Deltron is their good stuff. Is that your understanding ?
                        Thanks

Comment

Joe, if You haven't already done so You may want to discuss the Shop use a High Solids Clear.
                          Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Originally posted by 63t-cab View Post
                            Joe, if You haven't already done so You may want to discuss the Shop use a High Solids Clear.
                            The guy is real proud of his clear. Promises I will love it, and guarantees for as long as I own the car. Not sure what it is, but it sounds good. Wish I knew a lot more about paint than I do.

Comment

In that case He's referring to H.S., He would not even dare to use Mid Solid and give that guarantee !

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                              The guy is real proud of his clear. Promises I will love it, and guarantees for as long as I own the car. Not sure what it is, but it sounds good. Wish I knew a lot more about paint than I do.
                              Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Working...
                              X