PDA

View Full Version : After more than four decades of ownership, a new experience…

jclary
12-22-2017, 05:45 PM
Today, dawned foggy, partly cloudy, but otherwise, seasonably mild. My mother is in a wonderful nursing facility seven miles away from my house. Like all such facilities, it has its problems, but none are perfect. It is a beautiful campus, with a pond, landscaped drive into the grounds. Instead of a huge “institutional” single building, there are residential “Cottages.” Each cottage has twelve private rooms, with a kitchen, large community room, and as much of a “family” atmosphere as possible.

With Christmas so near, it was time to deliver a little Christmas cheer to the staff for the hard work they do for my mother and neighbor residents in her cottage. I decided it would be an excellent time to pull my ‘55 Truck out of the barn and drive it to the facility. For the season, I have a Snoopy Doll wearing goggles & a Santa hat in the matching “Pedal Truck” along with a small Christmas tree in the bed. A great season display. My wife has never enjoyed all the attention the Studebaker draws, she had rather “blend in,” so she followed behind in her silver Camry.

All the way there, folks were giving thumbs up. At a traffic light on the way home, a young lady pulls up beside me, lets her window down and shouted “THAT’S SO COOL!” :D

This happened at one of the busiest intersections in our town. Four & six lanes plus turn lanes. The light changed, I released the clutch and off we went...suddenly...sputter...falter…and my engine died!:eek:
All that Christmas spirit, suddenly evaporated, busy folks slamming on brakes, changing lanes, charging by like…GET TH’ HELL OUTTA TH’ WAY!!!:mad:

A couple of tries, it would fire up and die again.:( Then, I had to jump out, run back to my wife’s car, and show her the “emergency” flasher switch. She had never had to use it. Before I could get back to my truck, I looked up and there was a big heavy duty Ford Dually truck (North Carolina license plate) backing toward my truck. A rather grubby, dirty, but smiling young man, jumps out and greets me with a smile.

“Where you wanna go?” he asked. “Just up to the next driveway,” I said. (Referring to the parking lot of a closed business a few yards up.) He quickly dropped his tailgate, whipped out a tow chain, and in a couple of minutes, had my truck hooked up. This person certainly knew what he was doing, and how to do it without scarring, or jerking my truck around. With me steering, we had my truck out of harms way in a jiffy. I offered to pay him, but he declined. I told him I could handle the situation from there, he shook my hand and headed on back to N.C.

A phone call to a friend, who owns a tow service, had me waiting about a half hour before he could get to me. Turned out to be a $70 five mile ride. Years ago, that would have me very upset. Years ago, I was not 73 years old. Mike carefully & gently offloaded the truck in my driveway. I paid him, shook his hand and sent him on his way. My wife had already driven home and was busy lovingly preparing a meal.:)

So...after no one was looking, I got my gas can, poured about three gallons in the tank, cranked up the truck, and drove it back into the barn.:o This is the first Studebaker I ever had. You would think that after 40+ years, I would know better than trust a 62 year old gas gauge.:rolleyes: Oh well...I’m just happy to be home, and thankful that I could reach in my wallet and find $70.:!: (I remember when I couldn’t) And after all these years, my truck's first roll-back ride.

MERRY CHRISTMAS, HAPPY HOLIDAYS, & HAPPY NEW YEAR!

69240 69241

JGK 940
12-22-2017, 06:24 PM
At least you didn't have to get visited by ghosts or something.

Merry Christmas, John, to you and all of yours.

spokejr
12-23-2017, 10:10 AM
At least you didn't have to get visited by ghosts or something.

Merry Christmas, John, to you and all of yours.

I'm thinking he's visited by a ghost from the fuel tank, "The Ghost of Gasoline Passed"!

To John and the rest of you in Studebaker Land, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

BobPalma
12-23-2017, 12:37 PM
:!: Thankfully it was no worse, John, that no one ran into you!

Perhaps the spirit of the season kicked in for those involved. $70 isn't too bad for a roll-off ride.

Best to you and yours for Christmas and the New Year. :cool: BP

Buzzard
12-23-2017, 03:07 PM
I'm glad all worked out so well. The very best of the season, John to you and your family from the frozen North (Canada). Aleit I bailed a week or so ago and am now enjoying somewhat warmer weather in Arizona.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year
Bill & Sonja

Colgate Studebaker
12-23-2017, 04:08 PM
Such an interesting start to the holidays. No harm done so you're in good shape. Have a great holiday season to you and your family. Bill

jclary
12-23-2017, 05:57 PM
:!: Thankfully it was no worse, John, that no one ran into you!

Perhaps the spirit of the season kicked in for those involved. $70 isn't too bad for a roll-off ride.

Best to you and yours for Christmas and the New Year. :cool: BP

Thanks Bob, (& all the rest)...One thing I had forgotten, Mike (the guy that owns the tow truck) is also my County Councilman. When I paid him, I didn't have correct change, so I offered a $100 bill. He couldn't make correct change and gave me back two twenty dollar bills. Then he told me I could pay him next time I see him. I tried today, but the gate to his business was closed. I think he has given his office staff the rest of the holidays off, and all the trucks were out on calls. I don't want to be obligated to a politician, even if it's only ten bucks.;)

Today, it's cloudy, & raining, but I gathered my gas cans and made a dash to the local "non-ethanol" pumps for about 15 gallons. Some of it for my ATV, but much will find its way into the Studebakers. Church is less than a half mile. If it clears up by morning, I might drive a Studebaker to church. After yesterday's goof-up, I'll probably not venture much further in a Studebaker 'till I regain my confidence, & recover from my embarrassment.:o;)

stude truck 55
12-23-2017, 08:25 PM
Great story ! Been in that situation myself ( with a new gauge ) I don't trust it and don't let it get below 1/4 before I'm looking for gas station checked out the gauge and sending unit several times and decided to just accept it for what it is and add gas sooner rather than later ! Glad all worked out well for you .

raoul5788
12-24-2017, 08:47 AM
I'm thinking he's visited by a ghost from the fuel tank, "The Ghost of Gasoline Passed"!

To John and the rest of you in Studebaker Land, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

I see what you did there! :)

t walgamuth
12-24-2017, 09:58 AM
Its a great story John, thanks for sharing!

tsenecal
12-24-2017, 11:47 AM
No need to be embarrassed, you see plenty of newer vehicles broke down on the roadside also. Technically, you didn't really break down, just ran out of gas due to another small mechanical issue. I have "rescued" a few people on the side of the road over the years, and have been rescued a time or two. I'm glad the guy came along to help you out. It's always good to payit forward, just in case you may be the one that needs some help one day. Merry Christmas!

jclary
12-24-2017, 12:28 PM
No need to be embarrassed, you see plenty of newer vehicles broke down on the roadside also. Technically, you didn't really break down, just ran out of gas due to another small mechanical issue. I have "rescued" a few people on the side of the road over the years, and have been rescued a time or two. I'm glad the guy came along to help you out. It's always good to payit forward, just in case you may be the one that needs some help one day. Merry Christmas!

Speaking of "paying it forward," the young man that helped get me out of the road, as I mentioned in my first post, was a RE-POSSESSOR. In the brief time we had together, he told of one of his recent jobs where he was tasked with repossessing the car of a single mom. She had encountered some unexpected medical setbacks. He told me she was only $310 behind in her payment, and showed him her medical bills. He made her payment and let her keep her car. I've watched a few of those so-called reality repo man TV shows and never observed anything like that. Has to be a special person.:)

tsenecal
12-24-2017, 12:55 PM
Yes, sounds like a great guy. Maybe when she has recovered, and is in a better place financially, she can help somebody else.

studeclunker
12-24-2017, 03:21 PM
Glad to hear everything worked out okay John. Thanks for sharing your day and experience. Yes, it is sad how many people are so impatient and nasty. It is also a true delight when one comes across decent, caring people. Happy Christmas to you and your family.

JRoberts
12-24-2017, 03:25 PM
John, this thread is a great Christmas Story. That young man certainly has his heart in the right place.