Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any one run American Classic Bias Look Radial Whitewall

Hey Guys
    After almost 4 years I am getting ready to put my 1950 Champion back on the road. I am now shopping for a set of wide white walls and was wondering if anyone has run a set of American Classic Bias Look Radial tires. I am also very open to any recommendations on tire size choice and brand. Thank you in advance.

Studebaker Ron

I'm not sure Ron my comment will be what you're hoping for... but, I've got radial ties on my '56 Golden Hawk and feel the better for it, knowing they are a safe tire. At the time of restoring my car, I could purchase wide whites (in the UK) and now almost 6 years after the car's completion, I have loads more tread left on the tires before I can change from thin white strip to a wide white, which is now available.

Good luck with what you choose and maybe you'll be able to share a photo or two with the Forum when your car has her 'boots' on!
    Richard
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Ron View Post
      Hey Guys
      After almost 4 years I am getting ready to put my 1950 Champion back on the road. I am now shopping for a set of wide white walls and was wondering if anyone has run a set of American Classic Bias Look Radial tires. I am also very open to any recommendations on tire size choice and brand. Thank you in advance.

Studebaker Ron
      I had a set of American Classic Bias Look Radials on my 1955 President coupe. I was very satisfied with them in terms of how they were on the road and I really liked the period correct look. However, I did change the stock Studebaker wheels to later model wheels intended for radial tires. I might have bought 7.10 x 15s but they were then locally sold out and thus I went with 6.70x 15 which were fine too.

Pekka
      Attached Files
      sigpic

1960 Lark VIII Regal convertible - 1964 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

I wanted to get some and called coker, and they are not available in 63 and later narrow white wall widths. Too bad, I wanted to order 4 sets of 5 tires!.
        Bez Auto Alchemy
        573-318-8948
        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by PekkaP View Post
          I had a set of American Classic Bias Look Radials on my 1955 President coupe. I was very satisfied with them in terms of how they were on the road and I really liked the period correct look. However, I did change the stock Studebaker wheels to later model wheels intended for radial tires. I might have bought 7.10 x 15s but they were then locally sold out and thus I went with 6.70x 15 which were fine too.

Pekka
          Thanks for the info. Does anyone know if the 670 R15 would be a good fit on a 1950 Studebaker Champion?

Thanks
          Ron

Comment

My 1950 Champion has 205-75-R15 blackwall tires and handles great. I assume they were installed 25 years ago when the car was restored.

I wanted wide whites for my 1950 Land Cruiser that I recently bought, but I can't afford them, so I bought a set of narrow whites 225-75-R15 on ebay for $270 delivered.

I like the looks of the tread and they are fine, even though wide whites would look better. They are from Parish Tire Company in the eastern part of the U.S.

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
              My 1950 Champion has 205-75-R15 blackwall tires and handles great. I assume they were installed 25 years ago when the car was restored.

I wanted wide whites for my 1950 Land Cruiser that I recently bought, but I can't afford them, so I bought a set of narrow whites 225-75-R15 on ebay for $270 delivered.

I like the looks of the tread and they are fine, even though wide whites would look better. They are from Parish Tire Company in the eastern part of the U.S.
              Hey Tom
              Not a thing wrong with used tires but you may want to look for a newer set on your Champion. I has a blow out on my 66 Cadillac with 20 year old tires and I am just happy I did now get into an accident.

Be Safe my friend
              Ron

Comment

Originally posted by PekkaP View Post

Pekka

Pekka
                I did not see your photo when I first opened as I was using my phone. The look is very authentic and if you were happy with how they were on the road I think I am going to pick up a set. Only question is will the 670 R15 work on my 50 Champion. They would be a bit taller than 205 75R15 but just by an inch. I like the Bias look so this may just be my Christmas present to myself

Studebaker Ron

Comment

Don’t forget to check out Diamondback radial wide whitewalls— excellent quality. I have bought 3 sets, most recently a set for our ‘57 Hawk. They are manufactured in a special way that keeps the whitewalls from ever turning yellow.
                  dbtires.com
                  1950 Commander Land Cruiser
                  1951 Champion Business Coupe
                  1951 Commander Starlight
                  1952 Champion 2Dr. Sedan
                  1953 Champion Starlight
                  1953 Commander Starliner
                  1953 2R5
                  1956 Golden Hawk Jet Streak
                  1957 Silver Hawk
                  1957 3E5 Pick-Up
                  1959 Silver Hawk
                  1961 Hawk
                  1962 Cruiser 4 speed
                  1963 Daytona Convertible
                  1964 Daytona R2 4 speed
                  1965 Cruiser
                  1970 Avanti

Comment

Originally posted by drrotor View Post
                    Don’t forget to check out Diamondback radial wide whitewalls— excellent quality. I have bought 3 sets, most recently a set for our ‘57 Hawk. They are manufactured in a special way that keeps the whitewalls from ever turning yellow.
                    dbtires.com
                    I second that. A friend had a set of the Coker radials-that-look-like-bias-plys on his restored 61 Hawk. He didn’t like them at all and after 1000 miles, replaced them with Diamondbacks. He was much happier with the DB’s.

Comment

Diamondbacks are made from off-the-shelf stock tires. Diamondback only adds the sidewall modifications. They do not make anything that looks like an original pie crust edge bias ply radial tire.
                      Matt, we need more info than he didn't like them..... such as WHY.
                      Bez Auto Alchemy
                      573-318-8948
                      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Ron View Post
                        Hey Guys

Studebaker Ron
                        Ron, you may want to talk to David Hauser about his experiences with Coker tires, and his experiences with their customer service.
                        Paul
                        Winston-Salem, NC
                        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                        Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
                          Ron, you may want to talk to David Hauser about his experiences with Coker tires, and his experiences with their customer service.
                          Hey Paul
                          I know about Coker having issues due to old molds that do cause balance issues. This is why I wanted feedback on the American Classic Bias look radial as they are a newer product not made with old tooling. I was talking with Diamond Back and was very disappointed to hear that they do not offer a size for the 1950 Studebaker Champion that is made in the USA. When making a $1000.00 purchase for a Classic American Car I do not want to have tires made in Mexico or China. I work in manufacturing and it has made me very sad to see American jobs flying out of this country for the past 20 years. Unfortunately I cannot support Diamond Back at this time.

Ron
                          Last edited by Studebaker Ron; 12-23-2017, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X