Big fluid leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Big fluid leak

I just discovered a puddle of tranny fluid shortly after a lengthy engine rebuild. Why would the seal give way so quickly? Also rear seal leak, which seems to be endemic with our cars.
    peter lee

Need more info..... Front, rear, etc.

Comment

tranny fluid would have little or nothing related to engine rebuild, unless part of the servicing...

Comment

If the torque converter was not centered ...
        78 Avanti RQB 2792
        64 Avanti R1 R5408
        63 Avanti R1 R4551
        63 Avanti R1 R2281
        62 GT Hawk V15949
        56 GH 6032504
        56 GH 6032588
        55 Speedster 7160047
        55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

If engine is out always replace front seal on trans b4 reinstalling engine. Lots of folks bolt torque converter to engine; its easier on trans and seal if converter is slid onto trans before engine is dopped back in and then bolted up to flex plate. With my luck the new seal would be defective.

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
            tranny fluid would have little or nothing related to engine rebuild, unless part of the servicing...
            I agree with post #5, and submit the transmission front seal has everything to do with an engine rebuild, and is always, "part of the servicing". No competent mechanic would neglect to replace it while the motor is out. That is unheard of by any mechanic who can even spell the word. It seems we have lowered the bar into the dirt, as far as competence expected from repairers we pay good money to.

If the mechanic replaced the seal, he destroyed it when reinstalling the motor. If he did not replace the seal, he either forgot or assumed the 50+ year old, rock hard seal would be OK. Either way, he should make it right, free of charge. It spells gross incompetence/negligence, and he should be embarrassed.
            Last edited by JoeHall; 12-22-2017, 06:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
              If he did not replace the seal, he either forgot or assumed the 50+ year old, rock hard seal would be OK. Either way, he should make it right, free of charge. It spells gross incompetence/negligence, and he should be embarrassed.
              Unless, of course, the car owner complained about the cost of everything, and the shop only did exactly what was asked. I've seen that happen as well.

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                Unless, of course, the car owner complained about the cost of everything, and the shop only did exactly what was asked. I've seen that happen as well.
                I believe, properly explained, he woulda opted for the seal replacement. The explanation of options: While the motor is out now, you can spend $10 for the seal and $20 for the labor to install it. Alternatively, once the motor is back in, and it begins to leak in about 100 miles, you can pay $10 for the seal, and $500+ for us to install it.

I could be wrong, but the OP seems like the kinda guy who woulda opted for option 'A'. Now, his only option is 'B'.

Comment

What shape is the pan gasket in,and what state are the pan bolts in ?
                  Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Working...
                  X