No announcement yet.

Help! Steering wheel puller and wheel.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Steering wheel puller and wheel.

Hi All, I'm looking for a steering wheel puller for a 52 Champion. I bought the one from Studebaker Inter. and it is not the right one for my car. The correct one is pictured in the Shop manual. It must pull from under the steering wheel, not bolt into the top of the wheel. If anyone has one, can I borrow or rent from you. I promise to mail it back. Or do you know where I could buy one. Also, I'm looking for a new steering wheel for the same car. Any info will be appreciated.
    Frank

I can't help you with the puller. As for a new steering wheel, contact the Shrock Brothers (814-672-5544). They also have a website. They are not cheap but their steering wheels are top notch. I bought one for Dad's 50 Champion and it is perfect.
    Wayne
    "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Comment

Based on the picture in the shop manual I made a tool to pull the steering wheel on my '52 Land Cruiser. Send me a PM if you would like to make connections to borrow it.

Comment

If you can borrow one, good deal. If not, I've used a bearing puller for similar jobs.

​ob

Comment

This might be a tool you can borrow from your local Auto Zone parts store.
          Ed Sallia
          Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Here's one used on Model A Fords that might work for you: http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/steering-wheel-puller
            Dan Peterson
            Montpelier, VT
            1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
            1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

I made one once used it, mailed it to loan, never to be seen again

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                If you can borrow one, good deal. If not, I've used a bearing puller for similar jobs.

​ob
                That sounds like a good idea. I'd add a stiff rubber pad over the puller to help protect the steering wheel.

Be sure to protect the threads by running the nut to the end of them.

Comment

I'll try, O'Reilly same as Stude Inter.

Comment

Originally posted by lark63 View Post
                    I made one once used it, mailed it to loan, never to be seen again
                    The person you loaned it to does not realize what he has done, or the bad juju he is propagating. Too bad there are people like that. I loaned my expensive hydraulic floor jack to my neighbor and then watched as he abused it out in the street in front of my house.
                    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                      The person you loaned it to does not realize what he has done, or the bad juju he is propagating. Too bad there are people like that. I loaned my expensive hydraulic floor jack to my neighbor and then watched as he abused it out in the street in front of my house.

My pet peeve is people that borrow a floor jack and drag it through sand and dirt which will soon render it useless. Lost a Walker Whippit jack that way. Now I don't loan out tools even to family!

Comment

Me either. Spent a lot of hours cleaning up my snapon end wrenches after my Son in Law left them in the street when he was through with them. Guess I should be thankful they weren't stolen.

Comment

Tools no longer leave my house either since someone borrowed an expensive homemade tool to make a copy, and never returned it.
                          Even when I worked at the dealership, I told the other mechanics if they needed to borrow a tool more than twice, it was time for them to buy that tool for themself.

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
                            Tools no longer leave my house either since someone borrowed an expensive homemade tool to make a copy, and never returned it.
                            Even when I worked at the dealership, I told the other mechanics if they needed to borrow a tool more than twice, it was time for them to buy that tool for themself.
                            So true! Once or twice for the new guy is okay. After that he's told to 'tool up'.
                            At least two different tool trucks stop at most shops every week.
                            Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
                              I realize that all of the tools of mine that have come up "missing" are the type of tools that are unusual and you may only use them once in a great while, not the ordinary tools that most have.
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                              X