No announcement yet.

Can You ID This Dual Action Fuel Pump?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can You ID This Dual Action Fuel Pump?

I bought this pump at least 3 years ago off ebay, but don't recall if it was for a 1950 Champion, or a 1950 Commander. All my Commanders are hundreds of miles away, so I was wondering if someone could ID this pump?

BTW, I don't see a 1950 Commander pump in the SI catalog, which seems strange.
    Also I see this pump has the shallow glass, but others have a deeper glass. Anyone know what's up with that? Thanks, Tom

Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	1756262 Click image for larger version

Name:	004.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	193.2 KB
ID:	1756263

There should be a number on the edge where it bolts to the block. That number should I’d it. Even the commander pumps varied where th gas line attached. I have a pump catalog with the numbers in it
    Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
    1961 Hawk 4-speed
    1967 Avanti
    1961 Lark 2 door
    1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

I know what you mean by the number on the mounting flange, and that's the strange part. This is an all new made in USA pump, and it has no numbers on the pump, but I have to assume it's in it's original box, which is numbered 9218.
      The box also says "As Advertised in the Saturday Evening Post", so you can bet it could be from the 50's or 60's at the latest, and the diaphram isn't compatible with today's crap gas.

Comment

9218 is a Champion pump
        Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
        1961 Hawk 4-speed
        1967 Avanti
        1961 Lark 2 door
        1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm thinking this is a rebuilt fuel pump. It might be a very old "period" rebuild, but the actuator arm pivot pin appears to be one where the pin extends through the body of the pump, held in place by a crimped "C" or "E" clip. Most of these are unsealed and guaranteed oil "leakers."

Years ago, I sold tooling to a large automotive component "rebuilder" including water pumps, fuel pumps, alternators, generators, etc. I'm not surprised that there is no part number visible. If you have ever been in one of these facilities and witnessed the parts cleaning processes, abrasive vibrators, wire brushings, and other aggressive cleaning processes, you would understand how raised cast numbers and shallow stampings disappear.

I'll not speculate on the exact application, but the pump will probably work. Unless that pivot pin is sealed, it will also leak oil.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by unclemiltie View Post
            9218 is a Champion pump
            Just my luck, because I want to take a spare fuel pump with me when I pick up my 50 Land Cruiser in the spring.

John, this definitely is a brand new pump, and not a rebuilt, but as I said, it most likely was made in the 50's or 60's and can't stand up to the crap gas of today.

Comment

I sell quite a few NOS or fuel pumps that were rebuilt in the 60's/70's for a variety of vehicles.
              Every ad I place tells potential buyers they will need to be rebuilt again to modern standards.
              Have not had a return or complaint yet so the warning must be working and the buyers are freshening them up.
              Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                Years ago, I sold tooling to a large automotive component "rebuilder" including water pumps, fuel pumps, alternators, generators, etc. I'm not surprised that there is no part number visible. If you have ever been in one of these facilities and witnessed the parts cleaning processes, abrasive vibrators, wire brushings, and other aggressive cleaning processes, you would understand how raised cast numbers and shallow stampings disappear.
                John, by any chance was this Hastings in King, NC?
                Paul
                Winston-Salem, NC
                Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

I wouldn't trust an NOS fuel pump, regardless of the type of fuel used. A 60 year old rubber diaphragm just isn't going to last very long.

NOS pumps do make fantastic cores to put a fresh kit in, though.

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
                    John, by any chance was this Hastings in King, NC?
                    No, it was Arrow, in Spartanburg S.C. As many industries in the 1980's & '90's struggled to comply with government regulations, wage pressures, rising costs, etc., they lost out to cheap offshore competition.

Last I remember, the dilapidated old manufacturing plant housed a "charity contract job facility for disabled workers," warehousing, and a portion used for a weekend flea market. A sad end for a once thriving industry.
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I wouldn't bash nos or old rebuilt fuel pumps , I know some have failed due to todays fuels , But I have a friend who has a 57 Golden Hawk which still has the original pump , My 64 Daytona has a nos pump installed in 1988 and My wife's Champ truck has an nos pump put in 2 years ago and It has made trips to Rhode Island and So Bend , Ed

Comment

Working...
                      X