Overdrive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overdrive

Is it OK to drive in overdrive, all the time. I live in a flat area in CA and the people drive fast.

Just leave it on. It will shift down when you slow below 25 MPH, as I remember.
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

It's OK to do that and it will just freewheel when it drops out of overdrive. In other words, no engine braking while it's freewheeling.

BTW, this would be a bad idea when going downhill or in a large city with a lot of stop and go traffic.
      Last edited by TWChamp; 12-19-2017, 04:08 PM.

Comment

The Good News is; if you get in a possibly somewhat dangerous situation approaching a Hill or Mountain in Overdrive, it is simple without ANY Damage to the Unit to just Floor it, do not release all the way until, you pull out the O.D. Handle and presto, you are back in Direct with plenty of Deceleration for when you crest the grade!
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Yes, for sure. FWIW, I've driven every Stude I've ever owned in overdrive 99.9% of the time.

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

Just a warning - if you ever have to jump your Studebaker or try to push start it..... turn the OD off. It will keep the engine from starting.... Ask me how I found out....
            The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

I leave my Champ in overdrive all the time.
              Joe Roberts
              '61 R1 Champ
              '65 Cruiser
              Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

In most, except pure stop & go traffic, ....... 2nd gear "IN" OD is pretty good for the left leg....FWIW... I always make sure I operate the OD cable (and any other conduit type cable) each time I get in the truck...... amazing how fast 60 year old cables get stuck (see thread on stripped OD handle)

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                  Yes, for sure. FWIW, I've driven every Stude I've ever owned in overdrive 99.9% of the time.

jack vines
                  Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
                  I leave my Champ in overdrive all the time.
                  Amusing discussion. Before I had a vehicle with an "overdrive" transmission, I was kind of obsessed with the concept. When I finally got one, (over four decades ago), I was almost disappointed. The reason being, due to me always wanting to "tinker" with stuff...I thought an overdrive would require a lot of "driving involvement" on my part. However, it turned out to be so simple, that there was no added "skill" I could demonstrate to my friends to impress them. Don't get me wrong...I love the contraptions, but in my youthful ignorance, I expected more excitement!

Now, I sort of compare the concept of "overdrive" to the "AUTONOMIC" functions of our biological bodies, such as breathing, blinking, and the beating of our hearts. Something we become accustomed to (take for granted?), and find easy to ignore until something goes wrong. Properly maintained, overdrives are very durable, rarely give trouble, and work as designed. I love mine and appreciate the benefits of having them.
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
                    In most, except pure stop & go traffic, ....... 2nd gear "IN" OD is pretty good for the left leg....FWIW... I always make sure I operate the OD cable (and any other conduit type cable) each time I get in the truck...... amazing how fast 60 year old cables get stuck (see thread on stripped OD handle)
                    That's a good idea.
                    I also put oil along the whole length of the cables every once in a while.

Comment

I thought an overdrive would require a lot of "driving involvement" on my part.
                      Just add a floor shift with a kickdown button on the knob. When I'm in the mood, there are six forward gears.

jack vines
                      PackardV8

Comment

Actually just add a simple off-on switch to the governor and you can lock it in overdrive at any speed.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Pile View Post
                          Just a warning - if you ever have to jump your Studebaker or try to push start it..... turn the OD off. It will keep the engine from starting.... Ask me how I found out....
                          Does anyone have a Clue what Chris is talking about here?

If jump starting the Car with another Battery and Cables, the Overdrive is not electrically engaged when parked, so could not make ANY difference unless something is wired wrong.

cadill (Frank): I see we forgot to mention to NEVER Park the Car in Neutral (of course) or ANY Gear except REVERSE!

If the Parking Brake is not strong enough to hold or not applied, the Car CAN roll away if not in Reverse!
                          Last edited by StudeRich; 12-20-2017, 10:36 AM.
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I would say he is trying to tell anyone that has not manually disengaged the OD via the pull out cable. That they will not be able to push start the car, it will FREE WHEEL. That is what I make of it, then again I may be totally wrong.

Comment

Does anyone have a Clue what Chris is talking about here?
                              You understand English, Rich? Disengage the OD (pull out the knob) before jumping or push starting, or it won't start. Simple.

Comment

Working...
                              X