It's A Deluxe Scotsman!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's A Deluxe Scotsman!

Howdy All, After much anticipation, a computer glitch at the Studebaker National Museum, and then waiting for the reorder, I received my production order on the '59 4E3-112 today. It is indeed a one of one known, 4E3-112 Deluxe Scotsman! The production order also contained some other surprises, It, like my '59 4E7, was ordered, shipped, an has spent it's entire life here in Big Sky Country. It truly is an unusual little truck, a Scotsman ordered with a Deluxe Grill package, a light duty shortbox half ton ordered with heavy duty springs front and rear, and a 4.09 Twin Traction axle, but with a 3 speed overdrive transmission? Very unusual combination.....I have a question about the order that someone may be able to answer. As you can see in the destination box after Miles City, Montana it has Z/W 9-35. Can anyone tell me what this stands for? Thanks, Tim

<div align="left">Tim Stevens Big Sky Country, Montana '59 4E7-122 Deluxe '59 4E3-112 Deluxe Scotsman '59 Silver Hawk '57 Parkview Wagon '41 Double Dater Coupe</div id="left">
    I own time machines.....

Jeeze Tim that IS rare! It would have been a whole lot simpler to order a 4E6 Studebaker Truck with a Commander 245 engine, instead of a 4E3 Scotsman with a Deluxe kit, that is weird!

About the only way you could tell it from a Studebaker, would be the missing door visors and probably it has the Scotsman dash.

The wiper booster box says: "YES", is that a dual fuel pump or a auxiliary electric vacuum pump?

What I noticed is that it was built as a 4E 1959 model on Oct. 1959, after the car line was already building 1960 cars, but the truck line never had to shut down for the year model changeover, because swapping a few nameplates around did not require much re-tooling! [:0][:0]

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Jeeze Tim that IS rare! It would have been a whole lot simpler to order a 4E6 Studebaker Truck with a Commander 245 engine, instead of a 4E3 Scotsman with a Deluxe kit, that is weird!

About the only way you could tell it from a Studebaker, would be the missing door visors and probably it has the Scotsman dash.

The wiper booster box says: "YES", is that a dual fuel pump or a auxiliary electric vacuum pump?

What I noticed is that it was built as a 4E 1959 model on Oct. 1959, after the car line was already building 1960 cars, but the truck line never had to shut down for the year model changeover, because swapping a few nameplates around did not require much re-tooling! [:0][:0]

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studemaker
        Howdy All, After much anticipation, a computer glitch at the Studebaker National Museum, and then waiting for the reorder, I received my production order on the '59 4E3-112 today. It is indeed a one of one known, 4E3-112 Deluxe Scotsman! The production order also contained some other surprises, It, like my '59 4E7, was ordered, shipped, an has spent it's entire life here in Big Sky Country. It truly is an unusual little truck, a Scotsman ordered with a Deluxe Grill package, a light duty shortbox half ton ordered with heavy duty springs front and rear, and a 4.09 Twin Traction axle, but with a 3 speed overdrive transmission? Very unusual combination.....I have a question about the order that someone may be able to answer. As you can see in the destination box after Miles City, Montana it has Z/W 9-35. Can anyone tell me what this stands for? Thanks, Tim

<div align="left">Tim Stevens Big Sky Country, Montana '59 4E7-122 Deluxe '59 4E3-112 Deluxe Scotsman '59 Silver Hawk '57 Parkview Wagon '41 Double Dater Coupe</div id="left">
        Indeed! The production order is usually the BEST argument settler there is!![^]

Great to see a rare truck like that survive!

Craig

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studemaker

Indeed! The production order is usually the BEST argument settler there is!![^]

Great to see a rare truck like that survive!

Craig

Comment

The lack of chrome trim on the doors also points to Scotsman, as all '59 Deluxe's whether two tone paint or solid colour had the chrome strip. Nice looking unit, Tim![8D]

<h5>Mark
            '57 Transtar
            3E-6/7-122
            </h5>
            Mark Hayden
            '66 Commander

Comment

The lack of chrome trim on the doors also points to Scotsman, as all '59 Deluxe's whether two tone paint or solid colour had the chrome strip. Nice looking unit, Tim![8D]

<h5>Mark
              '57 Transtar
              3E-6/7-122
              </h5>
              Mark Hayden
              '66 Commander

Comment

Rich, The original engine was pulled in what I am guessing around 1967. This compession test was penciled on the inner fender. It was replaced with a 170 OHV6. I was stumped by the WS/Wiper booster box being checked, as it looks like the electric wipers are original.

I own time machines.....

Comment

Rich, The original engine was pulled in what I am guessing around 1967. This compession test was penciled on the inner fender. It was replaced with a 170 OHV6. I was stumped by the WS/Wiper booster box being checked, as it looks like the electric wipers are original.

I own time machines.....

Comment

Thanks Mark! Its been an adventure figuring out what it really was.... Scotsman or Deluxe. Funny thing.... It turned out to be both!

I own time machines.....

Comment

Thanks Mark! Its been an adventure figuring out what it really was.... Scotsman or Deluxe. Funny thing.... It turned out to be both!

I own time machines.....

Comment

Probably the only one with an OHV 6!! I assume you'll have her lookin' like your other '59 in no time.

<h5>Mark
                        '57 Transtar
                        3E-6/7-122
                        </h5>
                        Mark Hayden
                        '66 Commander

Comment

Probably the only one with an OHV 6!! I assume you'll have her lookin' like your other '59 in no time.

<h5>Mark
                          '57 Transtar
                          3E-6/7-122
                          </h5>
                          Mark Hayden
                          '66 Commander

Comment

Cool find Tim. Have a lot of fun with this truck. It has that solid start look to it. Don't forget pics for us.

Gordon

Comment

Cool find Tim. Have a lot of fun with this truck. It has that solid start look to it. Don't forget pics for us.

Gordon

Comment

Working...
                              X