Christmas lull update on the Silver Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas lull update on the Silver Hawk

For some reason the shop can't straighten the frame on the Hawk even with a zillion dollar laser jig. It's recommended that I swap frames. At least I got one in my stash. So far that's not cheering me up.
    1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
    1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
    1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
    1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
    1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
    1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

It seems to me that it would have to have deep Rust Pits 1/4 to 1/2 way thru, Major Cracks or obvious bad "Kinks" in the Frame rails before it would be un-straightenable or unusable.

Can you SEE those?

Does the Shop have the Shop Manual Frame specs?
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I'll update more once I run up there and back. I couldn't really get into details because I was on the cell phone while doing a mail run. (I was mailing letters to the birth family that I should have finished and mailed at least two days ago.) I think it's because the frame is a bit accordion kinked in one place under the firewall.
      1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case

Comment

I’m going to try to run up to Sioux City tomorrow and tow it home. I’m wondering if I really like Studebakers this much.*This is on top of two flavors of frustration,*not with the car itself, but with two sets of*circumstances around it, and three flavors of depression, including midwinter coldness and darkness, and Christmas seasonal.*

Comment

I'm now going to run up and get the Hawk, when I feel more like resting and recuperating to get back into working week and Christmas rush tomorrow.

Anyway, some traveling music for cruising through the Loess Hills and flat gumbo Bottom of Iowa....

Comment

The Hawk is back down at the farm and parked behind the Morton. I'm up at the farmhouse. Now waiting for an warm Indian summer or early warm Spring day to get things going again.

Comment

Working...
            X