PDA

View Full Version : Production order

lumpy
12-18-2017, 05:25 PM
Just received my PO for my lark , It looks pretty much correct except it says its a 4 door which it is not. Color, trim, options seem to match up. And destination states Redlands Ca , within 50 miles of where I bought it:) What is AC KIT 1331133? Thanks in advance Colin

StudeRich
12-18-2017, 05:30 PM
If this is a Cheaper Model Lark (Deluxe), that is likely the Stainless Windshield and Rear Glass Trim.

Is it a F4 2 Door Sedan, it SHOULD say that.

lumpy
12-18-2017, 05:45 PM
Hey Rich it says..59S F4 DLX 6CYL 4 DR SEDAN And yes it has the stainless trim:!:

StudeRich
12-18-2017, 05:57 PM
So the Typo is only on the Model "Description", not on the ACTUAL Model number build of the Car, which is what 'Built" it as a 2 Door.

I believe the '59's may be "Transcribed" from the original so may be a Museum error.
If not, it is a Factory Line-a-Type operator error.

lumpy
12-18-2017, 06:02 PM
Sounds good thanks again Rich:!!:

62champ
12-18-2017, 07:20 PM
My Deluxe Lark (60) had the Regal dress up kit (W4 - four door sedan), so maybe that is what that kit is for on your 2dr.

https://i.imgur.com/risbU0s.jpg

RadioRoy
12-18-2017, 07:38 PM
Hey Rich it says..59S F4 DLX 6CYL 4 DR SEDAN And yes it has the stainless trim:!:

"F" is a two door. A four door would be a "W".

Warren Webb
12-18-2017, 08:02 PM
When I received my production order for the 59 wagon it had a final assembly date of 1957. I contacted the museum & reported the error in which case they sent me a corrected version at no additional cost.

lumpy
12-18-2017, 08:05 PM
I also noticed there are no numbers in front of listed options.. like on 62champs PO says " 42 UNDERCOATING" mine just says UNDERCOATING. One of the few options it has says
DLX STEERING WHEEL
373 STEERING .
Also on champ62s it says 40 dry air cleaner..mine just states dry air cleaner..Did the museum not make an accurate copy?
Also under body # it says [ none listed ]

StudeRich
12-18-2017, 08:26 PM
The 1959 and earlier Production Orders will NEVER look as good as the 1960 and Later ones. The form is completely different.

The '59 and earlier are stored on Microfiche, the Later ones are on Original Paper Forms in File.

This is why your '59 does not look like a '62.

lumpy
12-18-2017, 08:35 PM
So Rich whats your take on no body #?

StudeRich
12-18-2017, 11:13 PM
So Rich whats your take on no body #?

I have no idea, you would have to ask the Museum if it is available on the Original or not, maybe since you Paid, they might look. I am sure some would have been just missed at the Factory.

Skinnys Garage
12-18-2017, 11:13 PM
The production order for my '59 Lark arrived with no body number also. Always thought it was just a copy error, possibly another reason?

JoeHall
12-19-2017, 10:36 AM
About 15 years ago I ordered a PO for a GT. It was so disgustingly inaccurate that I never ordered another PO. The ones for 56J , researched by Frank A are very accurate. At least the 100 or so I have seen were.

studegary
12-19-2017, 12:10 PM

I figure that was an error by the SNM. They seem to be having people that do not know Studebakers doing their work. Their work should be proofread before going out. The typist probably thought that the 4 in F4 meant a four door.

EDIT: They should provide you with a correct copy.

Bill Pressler
12-20-2017, 03:43 PM
All of the production orders from Newman and Altman were transcribed onto blank forms. I don't recall the SNM ever transcribing '60's production orders--they make a photocopy so I don't know how a GT production order could have mistakes on it. I'm betting you got a production order from the old Newman and Altman.

StudeRich
12-20-2017, 04:27 PM
Remember that the Car in question is a 1959, the LAST year for the old process, and the Break Point for the Price!
The 1960 and on P/O's are a totally different process.

studegary
12-20-2017, 08:02 PM
All of the production orders from Newman and Altman were transcribed onto blank forms. I don't recall the SNM ever transcribing '60's production orders--they make a photocopy so I don't know how a GT production order could have mistakes on it. I'm betting you got a production order from the old Newman and Altman.

We are talking about a 1959 six cylinder Lark, not any sort of "GT".

lumpy
12-20-2017, 08:18 PM
A pink 1959 Lark to be precise... And I've been trying to build up her self esteem , so not any sort of GT is a little hurtfull:lol:

Bill Pressler
12-22-2017, 05:57 PM

From Joe Hall, post 14:

"About 15 years ago I ordered a PO for a GT. It was so disgustingly inaccurate that I never ordered another PO. The ones for 56J , researched by Frank A are very accurate. At least the 100 or so I have seen were."

I was just saying I don't know how that could've happened from the museum. Newman and Altman, yes.

8E45E
12-22-2017, 06:18 PM
What the museum really needs is a microfilm/microfiche reader that will also make photocopies from it. They do exist as I've seen them in use in the public library making photocopies of pages of back issues of the local newspaper which is stored on microfilm.

Craig

TWChamp
12-22-2017, 08:49 PM
What the museum really needs is a microfilm/microfiche reader that will also make photocopies from it. They do exist as I've seen them in use in the public library making photocopies of pages of back issues of the local newspaper which is stored on microfilm.

Craig

About 10 years ago I used the one at the Benson Ford Research Center to print out things I was looking up for my Model A.
It was easy to use and made nice copies. The BFRC is part of the Henry Ford Museum.
I don't think we can go into the Studebaker National Museum to do our own research, can we?

Bill Pressler
12-23-2017, 09:47 AM
About 10 years ago I used the one at the Benson Ford Research Center to print out things I was looking up for my Model A.
It was easy to use and made nice copies. The BFRC is part of the Henry Ford Museum.
I don't think we can go into the Studebaker National Museum to do our own research, can we?

Yes, we can. I've done it two or three times over the years myself. They do need advance notice and an idea of what you're interested in researching. They really don't want the "I'll let you know when I get there" answer. :)

JoeHall
12-23-2017, 12:40 PM
From Joe Hall, post 14:

"About 15 years ago I ordered a PO for a GT. It was so disgustingly inaccurate that I never ordered another PO. The ones for 56J , researched by Frank A are very accurate. At least the 100 or so I have seen were."

I was just saying I don't know how that could've happened from the museum. Newman and Altman, yes.

Thinking again about the time-frame, it woulda been 1990-91, because that was when I bought a 63 Cruiser, and found a copy of the original PO under the carpet. It was beneath the front seat, on the driveshaft tunnel, and immaculate. So I ordered the one for the GT, expecting the same, and was sorely disappointed. Several of the codes were wrong, i.e. no mention of tinted windows, which the car clearly came with, etc.. I even double checked the VN on the rear frame member, because I thought maybe they had sent a PO for the wrong car, or I had sent the wrong VN. There was no mistake and, as mentioned, I have never ordered another one since.

Dwight FitzSimons
12-23-2017, 12:52 PM
Back in the days when N&A sold the production orders they typed a copy of the original on the original form with the original equipment. That gave a nice, original look, but it introduced errors, a very bad thing. Today the SNM photocopies the original production order, so it should be as accurate as the original PO.
-Dwight

Bill Pressler
12-23-2017, 02:32 PM
Thinking again about the time-frame, it woulda been 1990-91, because that was when I bought a 63 Cruiser, and found a copy of the original PO under the carpet. It was beneath the front seat, on the driveshaft tunnel, and immaculate. So I ordered the one for the GT, expecting the same, and was sorely disappointed. Several of the codes were wrong, i.e. no mention of tinted windows, which the car clearly came with, etc.. I even double checked the VN on the rear frame member, because I thought maybe they had sent a PO for the wrong car, or I had sent the wrong VN. There was no mistake and, as mentioned, I have never ordered another one since.

1990-91 was absolutely from Newman and Altman. The museum did not have the production orders then. I know this as in 1991 I went through production orders at Newman and Altman, looking for number of Avanti-powered Skytops.

I had a friend with a '65 Commander two-door sedan and his retyped production order from N&A showed it was built on 12/24/65, instead of 12/24/64. As far as I recollect, N&A only ever used one type of blank production order form across years.

For '59 and older, the Studebaker National Museum transposes from microfilm onto blank forms, as has been pointed out in this thread. But that would absolutely not happen for a '60 or later model.

I've had three from the museum for '60's Studebakers. All three were photocopies of the original form.

lumpy
12-26-2017, 05:59 PM
So this afternoon returned home from the shop to find a new studebaker museum manilla envelope in my easy chair , thanks Hon:rolleyes: when I opened it I found a note stating they had found an error in my original order and had issued a new one. It now shows "59SF4 DLX 6CYL 2 DR SEDAN" It still shows No body # so I can only assume the original doesn't either. Funny thing is I never contacted them ..I can only guess they watch the forum?

lumpy
12-26-2017, 10:11 PM
Iv'e dealt with hundreds of companies over the years , but this is a first for me.

Bill Pressler
12-28-2017, 07:04 AM
You might still inquire about the lack of a body number. That strikes me as very unusual, but never say never.

S2Deluxe
12-28-2017, 06:26 PM
You might still inquire about the lack of a body number.

The likelihood of the car's body having been changed over the years, would seem relatively insignificant! Perhaps, if it was verified that the body number, on the car, isn't actually on another production order, it could then be added to your's?
I can't imagine any reason, that would be a problem, but it's not up to me!

Good luck,

Mark