PDA

View Full Version : work needed

cadill
12-18-2017, 02:00 PM
I have a 52 that has some overdrive problems. Wiring I'm sure. does anyone have a recommendation for a mechanic in the Roseville Ca. area? I've called several in the area and they are not interested. Would have to go on a lift. Help!
Frank

Hallabutt
12-18-2017, 03:04 PM
Just curious, where is Roseville?

Greenstude
12-18-2017, 03:06 PM
If your overdrive problem is wiring, in what condition is the rest of the wiring? You may want to consider a whole new chassis wiring harness. I had a new one put in my 1947 Champion 15 years ago. I knew the old one had problems, and was very surprised just how bad it was upon seeing it after removal. It was a real fire hazard, with the insulation cracked or missing in several places. The key to a painless change of wiring harness is to carefully label every wire showing where it goes before removing the old harness. Then lay it beside the new harness, and label it.

The new harness which I bought from Studebakers West was a perfect match to the original. Every wire was in the correct position, with the correct gauge and colour of wire, and the correct terminals. I believe other vendors also have excellent harnesses.

RadioRoy
12-18-2017, 03:35 PM
Just curious, where is Roseville?

By Sacramento, California.

Skip Lackie
12-18-2017, 03:44 PM
Do you have a shop manual? It has a diagnostic diagram that is very simple to follow.

Lou Van Anne
12-18-2017, 03:46 PM
Try John Martin, Auburn: 530 320 0624....he knows Studebakers and is in the repair business.....have you joined the local Sacramento SDC Chapter? PM me and I'll send you some info.

TWChamp
12-18-2017, 07:39 PM
There was a recent thread on overdrive problems, which might help you. Basically you have a governor, relay, and solenoid. When you get to about 33 MPH with the OD handle pushed in, the governor sends the ground signal to the relay, the relay contacts close, and send the voltage to the solenoid to engage the overdrive.

The only problem I ever had was in 1968, when I bought my 1950 Commander from 2 little old ladies that never used the overdrive, I had to clean the relay contacts.