Resto-Mod vs. Restoration?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resto-Mod vs. Restoration?

Just finished reading the Dreamers thread about that 63 Avanti and it got me wondering. Which car would have the higher resale value; A well done *RESTORATION* or a well done Resto-mod. When I say restoration I am talking about a full frame off costing upwards of $30,000+ resulting in a close to factory new vehicle. And when I say Resto-mod I am talking about the same basic quality of workmanship but with upgraded/modified features.

For example lets start with two 62 GT's (the car I'm most familiar with) in #4 condition and a budget of say $35,000 (I know you can spend more). One restored to factory new and the other with modified brakes, suspension, electrical, interior and paint etc. etc... Both *Studebaker* powered (for some reason I have a very visceral reaction to a SBC in any other make of car.

I know there is no real answer to this question I just wanted to hear the pros and cons of going in either direction.
    I'd rather be driving my Studebaker!

sigpic

Easy answer for values.....use another car for an example that has had more time to have this scenario play out, let's say a Model A Ford. Check the value of one fully restored to factory original and another modified with modern running gear and comfort equipment. Same thing is true with any Studebaker, other then very rare or specially built cars. A good example is the first thing most do to a driver quality car is change the brakes and wheels/tires. Next, they want comfort features.......A/C, better audio, add sound deadener and plusher upholstery, tinted glass, better handling, etc.
    Today's people want it to look old, but perform as a new car. That's why the manufactures built retro cars.
    There's still a place for stock, original cars and I hope they are always around, but I like to drive and enjoy my cars too, so will make modifications to make my cars fit my needs.
    sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
    1950 Champion Convertible
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
    1957 Thunderbird

Comment

From what I've been able to tell you cut the value of a GT when you go custom or resto mod. They seem to sell easier and bring just a little more as stock. BUT they also cost more to build back as stock so it maybe a toss up. With a resto or custom you can use a chev I know you said Studebaker but the chev will build more HP for one third the money and be easier to find parts. The rest of the parts you can use what you have in stock or will do the same job for the least amount and still give the desired out come.

Comment

Restored original cars are usually easier to sell. They are what the broader market supposedly wanted at the time they were designed and built.

Resto-Mod/custom/rod or whatever are one person's vision of what he'd like to drive. That may or may not find a buyer who agrees with that vision.

On my custom Hawk, I took the looks I liked best, '64 GT front, C-body middle, '53-55 deck lid and a front bumper on the rear, with custom two-tone paint. Will anyone else agree it's the best possible Stude? Maybe/Maybe Not.

I have what the original owner/designer called, "The World's Only 1965 Avanti". It came about after a late-60s Hollywood cocktail party conversation where the owner told Raymond Lowey he owned an Avanti. Lowey described the proposed design changes for the 1965's and later sent copies of some sketches. The owner had George Barris customize his '63 to closely match the Lowey '65 sketches. It's a unique Avanti with a Lowey pedigree, but even I as current owner do not feel it's necessarily an improvement over the 1963.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post

I have what the original owner/designer called, "The World's Only 1965 Avanti". It came about after a late-60s Hollywood cocktail party conversation where the owner told Raymond Lowey he owned an Avanti. Lowey described the proposed design changes for the 1965's and later sent copies of some sketches. The owner had George Barris customize his '63 to closely match the Lowey '65 sketches. It's a unique Avanti with a Lowey pedigree, but even I as current owner do not feel it's necessarily an improvement over the 1963.

jack vines
          How about some photos of that Avanti, Jack?

Comment

Nothing looks as "yesterday" as a Resto-Mod that was built for the time period. I see a lot of old "rolling money" at the local Cars & Coffee. The "food processor" insert style wheels, the "southwest" color pallet and an over abundance of chrome/polished aluminum are as out of place today as a full exercise suit, a Members Only jacket and a Mullet hair cut. I'd think the principle behind the application of cologne/aftershave/perfume carries over with Resto-Mods. A little is pleasantly acceptable and more is not better.

Not saying there aren't a lot of nice Resto-Mods out there but if not done with a "timeless taste" they tend to get those "more money than brains" snickers as time and styles change. I have a lot of "functional by a thread" cars. And, where as it would seem a blessing to have Overhaul'n take on any one of them - maybe not. One of my cars is a Sunbeam Tiger. After what I saw Foose did on Overhaul'n I felt took value out of the car over doing one nearly stock. Not mentioned, but also for consideration is the "tribute car." Time will tell on those as in the greater scheme of collector cars they are a rather new concept.

So, over the years the stock restoration is my vote for the wiser investment.
            '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Whichever you prefer, resto-mod or restoration, let's face it -- it's a hobby not an investment.

Comment

I don't worry too much about value, but buy the cars because I like them, and I think post war Studebakers had some of the best car designs ever. I also think they were well built, and I like to preserve history, so I like them just as original as possible. If it's too hot to drive somewhere, then I'll drive modern and enjoy my air conditioning, otherwise Studebakers can be driven anywhere with ease, especially when they have overdrive. There's a glut of customs out there, and we need more people preserving the history of Studebaker.

Comment

In my case previous owners modified my car quite a bit from original but its still all Studebaker.
                  I'd rather be driving my Studebaker!

sigpic

Comment

It depends on the car. If we are talking about a nicely done post war car the value may be in the creature comforts. The same might go for a late 30's, fat fendered coupe. On the grand scheme of things these have a limited value to start with. When you start talking about a "Classic," forget about it. Take, for instance, a "Classic" 1931 Four Seasons, few buyers would step up to the plate, to pay a price well over six figures, for the car as a resto-mod. Even so the value added, of somebody's personal dream, of a lesser car, has the good possibly of turning into a financial nightmare. Street rods, resto-rods, or resto-mods seldom recoup the value that has gone into the car.

I'm a stocker at heart, but if I lived in much of the country where it gets beastly hot, it would be hard for me to think about touring without AC. I admit that we have a great many transplants, who have come to the PNW thinking that everything has to be air conditioned. Thankfully we have enough natives that know better.

Few people that put real money into a car can expect to make money. Whether or not it sells better is a real crap shoot. This is a hobby, few really make any money at it. When an owner is ready to move on, the owner who has put the least into his hobby car, stands the best chance of loosing less.

Comment

I think it depends on what the goal is. For the semi collectable Studes such as Speedsters, Golden Hawks, and Avantis, an original restoration is worth more since these have some collector value. R1/R2 Hawks and Larks as well as convertibles also have higher desirability. Other Studes are likely worth more as resto-mods. Non R engined GTs and Hawks other than the goldens do not seem to have much collector value at this time. Hopefully, that will change.
                      78 Avanti RQB 2792
                      64 Avanti R1 R5408
                      63 Avanti R1 R4551
                      63 Avanti R1 R2281
                      62 GT Hawk V15949
                      56 GH 6032504
                      56 GH 6032588
                      55 Speedster 7160047
                      55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Restoration (kept at stock) would be the best possible return for Studebaker and Avanti owners. Restoration can also get one upside down in a vehicle all too quickly, where the restorer will not get that investment back when selling the vehicle. It should be the owner's prerogative to do as they please with the vehicle, but there is also a price to pay for one's particular taste that potential future buyers would not like.
                        sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by 64studeavanti View Post
                          I think it depends on what the goal is. For the semi collectable Studes such as Speedsters, Golden Hawks, and Avantis, an original restoration is worth more since these have some collector value. R1/R2 Hawks and Larks as well as convertibles also have higher desirability. Other Studes are likely worth more as resto-mods. Non R engined GTs and Hawks other than the goldens do not seem to have much collector value at this time. Hopefully, that will change.
                          Exacty , this is what I see here. Avanti, always worth more stock, unless it's a "special" model everything else is worth more modded to drive with a stock appearing body, as long as the mechanical work is done properly.

Comment

Talking Avanti, there's an 83 resto-mod that was built on Fantomworks for probably cost 3x of the $48,000 that's still being asked on Ebay for the car. A couple of Brad's restored blower 63/64's have gone for much more than that at recent auctions.

You might say apples to oranges but the 83 has all the bells and whistles and while it's not a 63/64, it's probably representative of what a 63/64 resto-mod would command.

So just a data point to support restored or original over resto-moded Avanti's

Bob

Comment

It seems that this post perfectly describes the Stude market.

Hopefully these $100K Golden Hawk auctions will start to drag the "less desirable" Hawks and others up in value a bit, but right now a nicely done resto-mod will probably bring more money than a pure stock restoration. Not sure about the bullet nose models. They may be more desirable as a restoration.
                              Wayne
                              "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X