PDA

View Full Version : GT dash test fit

Jerry Forrester
12-13-2017, 04:43 PM
Looks like Buttercup is gonna lose about half of his glove compartment. The AC and heater hoses are trying to occupy the same space as the back half of the glove compartment. But like a friend just told me, "All you need is enough room for an insurance card".
He's right. But I'm going to have a GT center console/glove box between the bucket seats just in case I want to carry something besides an insurance card. Maybe a pair of gloves. Imagine that, a pair of gloves in a glove box.

https://i.imgur.com/13rRmmP.jpg

DEEPNHOCK
12-13-2017, 05:19 PM
No glove.... No love....

StudeRich
12-13-2017, 05:58 PM
Do you plan to Bend that Ol' '37 Dictator top shifter, shift lever back a bit to save your Knuckles?

Jerry Forrester
12-13-2017, 07:59 PM
No glove.... No love....

What kind of gloves are you talking about? Sometimes I wonder about you. <G>

Jerry Forrester
12-13-2017, 08:02 PM
Do you plan to Bend that Ol' '37 Dictator top shifter, shift lever back a bit to save your Knuckles?

Actually, that's a Jeep shifter on top of the original '55 3 sp. w/od. But yes, I may have to adjust it a tad.

ndynis
12-14-2017, 06:25 AM
Jerry, thanks for posting you work-in-progress. I enjoy following along.
Nick

Jerry Forrester
03-23-2018, 02:33 PM
Putting the dash together today in prep for the installation.
https://i.imgur.com/ttc0rKj.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/YUyGDtj.jpg

I need a pair of turn signal indicators. I think mine are to far gone to use. I gave my SI catalog to someone and haven't got a new one yet. Are these available from any of our vendors. Or, do anyone of you have a pair you can let go?
https://i.imgur.com/SQ9k0Md.jpg

DEEPNHOCK
03-23-2018, 02:36 PM
Looking good!

Jerry Forrester
03-23-2018, 03:01 PM
Thanks Jeff.
But no, that info didn't help. ;-)

Captain Billy
03-23-2018, 03:10 PM
Just got mine installed the other day, I too had to cut about half the glove box away. I guess the insurance slip and gloves will fit but I also installed a duo USB charger with digital voltage readout for all those many modern devices, I can say that now I just stepped up from a flip phone.

55s
03-23-2018, 03:26 PM
Very nice job, Bill. Do it yourself??

Very nice job too, Jerry.

bensherb
03-23-2018, 03:37 PM
I need a pair of turn signal indicators. I think mine are to far gone to use. I gave my SI catalog to someone and haven't got a new one yet. Are these available from any of our vendors. Or, do anyone of you have a pair you can let go?
https://i.imgur.com/SQ9k0Md.jpg

I didn't know those things were supposed to have an arrow on them. Mine have nice chrome, but are just a green dot with no arrow. I have LED's behind them so they're actually bright enough to see.

How about cleaning the chrome and just painting them Silver, or Black , or Brown to match the woodgrain? I use a Toilet cleaner called "The Works" to remove rust, it works very well and will remove cad, zinc and chrome too, but probably not the nickel. It doesn't look like much of that is left anyway. I've never had it affect plastic or paint at all.

Lou Van Anne
03-23-2018, 05:05 PM
My 64 has the arrows.....
I didn't know those things were supposed to have an arrow on them. Mine have nice chrome, but are just a green dot with no arrow. I have LED's behind them so they're actually bright enough to see.

How about cleaning the chrome and just painting them Silver, or Black , or Brown to match the woodgrain? I use a Toilet cleaner called "The Works" to remove rust, it works very well and will remove cad, zinc and chrome too, but probably not the nickel. It doesn't look like much of that is left anyway. I've never had it affect plastic or paint at all.

Jerry Forrester
03-23-2018, 06:14 PM

Yeah, that's what I will probably do if no one comes through with some nice ones.

Jerry Forrester
03-23-2018, 06:21 PM
Just got mine installed the other day, I too had to cut about half the glove box away. I guess the insurance slip and gloves will fit but I also installed a duo USB charger with digital voltage readout for all those many modern devices, I can say that now I just stepped up from a flip phone.

That's a very nice set up.
I plan to build some sort of small console/cup holder for Buttercup. Nothing as nice as yours. Just something to go from the GT console to up under the dash. But I have that danged floor shifter to work around.

studegary
03-23-2018, 07:58 PM
I do not see them in SI's catalog. That does not mean that they may not have a few.
Perhaps you could find a chrome shop that could refinish the ones that you have :D.

EDIT: "Them" being the turn signal indicators that you asked about.

Starlight
03-23-2018, 08:52 PM
Jerry, is that a large clock beside the speedo and tach....and what brand the instruments?

Colgate Studebaker
03-23-2018, 09:23 PM
Jerry, sorry but I can't help with the "blinker" lenses, but I'd like to know how much of the A/C unit hangs below the bottom of the dash? I love your project and the way you're getting it done. Bill

Jerry Forrester
03-23-2018, 09:40 PM
Jerry, is that a large clock beside the speedo and tach....and what brand the instruments?

Yes, it is a clock. I bought the six instrument set from Classic Instruments and then later I bought the clock.
I'm not sure it's a Classic Instruments, although I can't find it on their website, I think it is.

Jerry Forrester
03-23-2018, 09:43 PM
Jerry, sorry but I can't help with the "blinker" lenses, but I'd like to know how much of the A/C unit hangs below the bottom of the dash? I love your project and the way you're getting it done. Bill

Bill, I'll have some pictures for you in a few days, after I get the dash installed.

Ron Dame
03-24-2018, 08:58 AM
Looks great Jerry, how did you do your wood grain?

Robert
03-24-2018, 01:34 PM
Captain Billy-I'm curious as to your center console.It looks to be molded.What was the original application or is it aftermarket?How close to floor pan is the fit?It looks great.

Jerry Forrester
03-24-2018, 01:35 PM
Looks great Jerry, how did you do your wood grain?

An artist friend did it for me. Not perfect but good enough for me.

Hawkowner
03-27-2018, 04:55 PM
What brand are your instruments the look great.

Jerry Forrester
03-27-2018, 06:25 PM
What brand are your instruments the look great.

Post #19.
Thanks.

Captain Billy
03-28-2018, 06:54 AM
Mercedes Benz....contact with the tunnel varies on location front to back

64V-K7
03-28-2018, 07:13 AM
Regarding those turn signal indicators, didn't someone recently mention that you can cut up a part of a seven-up bottle to get the same color and replace the old lenses?
Those old bezels can be steel wooled and clearcoated

rkapteyn
03-28-2018, 07:50 AM
An Avanti center console fits nicely and are still available from Nostalgic.