PDA

View Full Version : Download PDF versions of manuals?

KenF
12-07-2017, 05:25 PM
From what I understand all Stude manuals are now copyright free, but the prices I see for some seem rather high - the two manuals I need for a 55 truck come to more than $100 - ouch. Are there sources for scans or PDF versions? I don't really need a paper manual or an original printed one.

StudeRich
12-07-2017, 06:20 PM
Welcome to the SDC and to the SDC Forum. :)

Ken, check your PM's (Private Messages) at the top of the page when logged in.

Swifster
12-07-2017, 08:47 PM
You can get the manuals on CD for $19 to $25. For that you'll get all the manuals for a given year (service and parts manuals). I have mine loaded on the computer and print the pages I need when I go out to the garage.

PeterHawk
12-08-2017, 06:13 AM
You can get the manuals on CD for $19 to $25. For that you'll get all the manuals for a given year (service and parts manuals). I have mine loaded on the computer and print the pages I need when I go out to the garage.

Can you "cut & paste" from the CD to a Word document?

Mrs K Corbin
12-08-2017, 06:46 AM
The ones I have are .pdf....

christophe
12-08-2017, 07:33 AM
Can you "cut & paste" from the CD to a Word document?

I just tried this with my 59-64 shop manual but the .pdf is protected by a password.

PeterHawk
12-08-2017, 10:39 AM
I just tried this with my 59-64 shop manual but the .pdf is protected by a password.

What format do you think the manuals are in, Word, Excel, notepad, text file etc.?

christophe
12-11-2017, 02:58 AM
What format do you think the manuals are in, Word, Excel, notepad, text file etc.?
It has been scanned from the original document, so there is no intermediate format. When I got my CD, I printed all sections related to my car and they served me well so far. There is no copy protection for this CD but I made only one copy for office use.

(S)
12-11-2017, 04:00 AM
Someone spent a whole bunch of time and money putting these in CD form. What you are asking is, can I steal somebodys work. ? I buy tons of these from the source for re- sale and have never even thought of copying the work they did because just 'cause I bought one, I can steal? . How dare you?

christophe
12-11-2017, 10:32 AM
Someone spent a whole bunch of time and money putting these in CD form. What you are asking is, can I steal somebodys work. ? I buy tons of these from the source for re- sale and have never even thought of copying the work they did because just 'cause I bought one, I can steal? . How dare you?

I'm not sure this comment was meant for me but, in case of, I just made a copy for MY office and only for MY personal use. Thus, I don't have to take the CD with me when commuting from home to the office. If my memory serves well, you're entitled to have a backup copy, but if I'm wrong, just tell me.
Nice day to all.

Skip Lackie
12-11-2017, 01:42 PM
Under copyright law, you are allowed to make a copy of any copyrighted material for your own use.

KenF
12-11-2017, 03:03 PM
Although the original source material is no longer copyrighted, according to Archive.org and the LoC. I don't mind paying a small fee for a burned CD of PDF files as I'm planning to do, but the idea of paying $70 to 99 for a printed one seems like egregious profiteering.

TWChamp
12-11-2017, 08:51 PM
Like Ken, I also prefer the printed manuals, and that is a high price to pay. I'd keep looking for used manuals for a good price, either on ebay or Amazon. I also check the used book store, but seldom find car books in there.

KenF
12-11-2017, 10:25 PM
There's a handful of libraries that carry some Studebaker manuals according to online search results, sadly none too near me - not sure if they would do an inter-library loan or not, manuals usually are non-circulating. My cities main library also has a good selection of Studebaker reference material, might be worth checking out.

ddub
12-11-2017, 11:05 PM
In my opinion there is no substitute for an original manual. The pictures are significantly clearer than the reprints. No experience with the disks. Originals come up on ebay regularly, price depends on condition.

kurtruk
12-12-2017, 12:37 AM
Although the original source material is no longer copyrighted, according to Archive.org and the LoC. I don't mind paying a small fee for a burned CD of PDF files as I'm planning to do, but the idea of paying $70 to 99 for a printed one seems like egregious profiteering.

How much would it cost you to "copy" each page of your truck's manuals? Our take them in and have them re-printed? (Remember to figure in the cost of quality paper, not copy machine paper, and the heavier covers, and having them collated and bound.)

Skip Lackie
12-12-2017, 03:57 PM
In my opinion there is no substitute for an original manual. The pictures are significantly clearer than the reprints. No experience with the disks. Originals come up on ebay regularly, price depends on condition.

Agree. Prices of original manuals on ebay are all over the place. And there are/were often some real bargains at Intl Meets, York, etc.