PDA

View Full Version : leaky silver hawk transmission - $$$ ??

rockymtnguy
12-07-2017, 05:04 PM
I have a '57 Silver Hawk with an automatic transmission which leaks quite a bit when the engine is running. Common problem ?? I am assuming the seals and gaskets need to be replaced. How much should it cost to have the transmission rebuilt - if that is what is needed. Thanks

kmul221
12-07-2017, 05:37 PM
I just spent $1500. For a complete rebuild & I had a lot of the parts,1st time since I owned the car it has not leaked fluid.

dynolou2
12-07-2017, 08:14 PM
Well, assuming that it may have been resealed or rebuilt at some time since it left the Studebaker factory it is time to rebuild your unit. Leaking with the engine running is a bad front seal and /or seal cut torque converter Lip seals and sealing o-rings are probably hard as rocks, when you try to remove them they break. Time to talk to other Stude owners in your area about who they used, the good and bad. Good Luck Lou Cote

JoeHall
12-07-2017, 10:16 PM
If it drives out OK: no hesitation going into gear; upshifts and downshifts OK; passing gear works OK, I'd just re-seal it. First, I'd try to determine where most of the leak is coming from, by placing a clean piece of cardboard below it, about 3' by 4'. Run the car and watch where the cardboard gets wet, then let it sit over night and see where it leaked down the most. Install front and rear seals, and pan gasket, then ease on down the road.

GrumpyOne
12-07-2017, 11:11 PM
I have a '57 Silver Hawk with an automatic transmission which leaks quite a bit when the engine is running. Common problem ?? I am assuming the seals and gaskets need to be replaced. How much should it cost to have the transmission rebuilt - if that is what is needed. Thanks

If otherwise your transmission is operating properly, a reseal is all I would do and that is a fairly simple process.

Transmission removal will be necessary and I would recommend removing the entire assembly including bell housing and converter. The three seals is the front pump, (converter) along with the shift linkage seal and pressure shaft seal. The rear seal only requires driveshaft removal.

Flight-O-Matics are very stout and will last almost forever with frequent fluid changesl

Another suggestion would be to switch to a synthetic fluid such as Valvoline Dex/Merc or Type F. Your tranny will love you for it...

rusty nut garage
12-08-2017, 08:36 AM
Recently sent to customers to a transmission shop for this model transmission rebuild in the PHX area. Both were in the $800 range. Complete rebuilds. Find someone who is familiar with the flightomatic.