PDA

View Full Version : Must be Studebaker day on BaT 1963 Studebaker Lark Daytona R2 4-Speed

bumpkinvilledano
12-06-2017, 08:51 PM
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1963-studebaker-lark-daytona-r/#comments

StudeRich
12-06-2017, 09:32 PM
I guess maybe that ugly, incorrect Black Interior Trim might have started with a available replacement Black Dash, but it's just so WRONG on a otherwise Correct looking restoration of a rare R2 4 Speed Lark. :(

mbstude
12-07-2017, 05:24 AM
Joe Bacon owned that car for a while. It may have the wrong color seat inserts but it’s a pretty well done restoration. I thought the interior was tasteful, the black matches the exterior paint. You can always have the vinyl dyed when you buy it, Rich.

The most fun driving Lark of any I’ve ever been in. Heavy duty suspension, heavy duty clutch, stouter-than-stock R2... It’s a handful. Joe gave me the keys during a South Bend May meet. Chris Dresbach rode shotgun and never did find that “oh s*** handle” to hold on to.

studefan
12-07-2017, 04:27 PM
Wonder why the double belts on the alternator?

StudeRich
12-07-2017, 06:35 PM
Here is a stock Red Interior '63 Lark Daytona actually Maroon, unlike the subject Car that was Solid Maroon, this one was ordered with the all vinyl, but without matching Inserts.

bezhawk
12-07-2017, 07:09 PM
Here is a stock Red Interior '63 Lark Daytona actually Maroon, unlike the subject Car that was Solid Maroon, this one was ordered with the all vinyl, but without matching Inserts.

69040I'd rather have a well done modified interior than a POOR STOCK interior, any day of the week.

63t-cab
12-07-2017, 08:12 PM
Actually, that Red / Black interior looks quite sharp " kinda race ready look ". rare, ya rare - very many studebakers are rare for that matter.

I guess maybe that ugly, incorrect Black Interior Trim might have started with a available replacement Black Dash, but it's just so WRONG on a otherwise Correct looking restoration of a rare R2 4 Speed Lark. :(

Guido
12-07-2017, 08:38 PM
It is interesting how certain people continually throw out comments that are critical of other vehicles but never give Forum members the opportunity to critique their work...

63t-cab
12-07-2017, 08:59 PM
As You said, CERTAIN Folks " I think apparently get tired of repeatedly being asked about their Vehicles "! least that's what they say, guess the pokes are only supposed to go one way :confused:

It is interesting how certain people continually throw out comments that are critical of other vehicles but never give Forum members the opportunity to critique their work...

harry
12-07-2017, 09:18 PM
As You said, CERTAIN Folks " I think apparently get tired of repeatedly being asked about their Vehicles "! least that's what they say, guess the pokes are only supposed to go one way :confused:

Amen...!!!

lumpy
12-07-2017, 09:19 PM
I'd love to have it my garage .. assuming i actually had a space for it;) And no I would not modify it , other than some traction aids and a small pair of slicks . Because if I owned it it would be used for what it was designed for.

StudeDave57
12-08-2017, 02:44 PM

As You said, CERTAIN Folks " I think apparently get tired of repeatedly being asked about their Vehicles "!
least that's what they say, guess the pokes are only supposed to go one way :confused:

Fact~ There's a difference between critique of cars for sale and those that are not. True story.
Fact~ For significant cars like this one- it's important for buyers to know if what they are buying is right or wrong.

For the record~
I can assure you when those 'certain people' you are speaking of put one of their own cars up for sale--
you may critique and poke to your heart's content.

But the hard work will already have been done for you because I can ALSO assure you that every non stock part, piece, and paint flake will have already been identified for you in the ad by said seller...
:ohmy: :yeahright: ;) :whome:

Personally-
the R2/4speed combo in that Lark does nothing to offset it being a '63.
As such I maybe should'a scrolled right on past, never even seeing those seats.
Make the car a '64 and I might give it a second glance.
This is just my opinion, not a fact.

Your opinions can/will vary, of course.
I served so that you have the right to your own opinion.
:cheers:

(S)
12-08-2017, 07:50 PM
I've been posting pics of stuff I work on for several years now. I put Studes back on the road and in some cases on the map. Studerich has helped me with most of them. There are photos of our work all over this forum........ Critique away.

jbwhttail
12-08-2017, 08:12 PM
This thread sure took a bad turn quickly. I owned the car in question before the present owner, I can assure you if you had an interest in the car and drove it the black seat inserts would not sway your decision to purchase. Funny how no one commented on the non stock shifter....

avanti-hawk
12-09-2017, 12:17 PM
This thread sure took a bad turn quickly. I owned the car in question before the present owner, I can assure you if you had an interest in the car and drove it the black seat inserts would not sway your decision to purchase. Funny how no one commented on the non stock shifter....
Well said! It's so far out of my price range I refuse to coment on it, but I do like it!!
I currently have my 1974 Eldorado for sale on another website and have received a very disparaging comment regarding the front seat material being non original. I replied that I have a excellent condition original replacement that can be included for another $200,and that I'm only asking $3800 for the car. This received no reply.

Pop's Chariot
12-09-2017, 01:47 PM
To me this is a dream Lark, If only it had a skyroof though.
If I had the dough I would happily buy it.

swvalcon
12-09-2017, 02:38 PM
Pop's Find yourself a lark R-2 convert. That would be a sky roof wouldn't it?

t walgamuth
12-09-2017, 04:53 PM
Looks like a very nice car!

52-fan
12-11-2017, 09:30 AM
Looks like a very nice car!

Nothing about that car would keep me from driving it.....except my lack of $$$. :(

drew72mgb
12-13-2017, 12:55 PM
Nothing about that car would keep me from driving it.....except my lack of $$$. :(

Ain't that the truth.

I wish I had the $$$

dpson
12-13-2017, 01:16 PM
It ends in 36 minutes and has been bid up to $26,100.

How high do you think it will go? $30K plus?

Update: Sold for $42,000!

Bet there are some oldtimers rolling over in their graves to think a 63 Lark would ever sell for that kind of money.

rusty nut garage
12-13-2017, 03:20 PM
well that escalated :-) Take the super lark off of my bucket list of cars to own. They just went out of sight

It ends in 36 minutes and has been bid up to $26,100.

How high do you think it will go? $30K plus?

Update: Sold for $42,000!

Bet there are some oldtimers rolling over in their graves to think a 63 Lark would ever sell for that kind of money.

nels
12-13-2017, 04:36 PM
Actually they've changed hands for way more than that at private sales. I hate to say it but it's about time these cars start getting recognized. They are way cooler than a 57 fuel injected Chevrolet, a 409 Chevrolet or a 406 Ford. Just park an R2 Lark next to one of those and see which one draws the crowd.

2R2
12-13-2017, 04:49 PM
Actually they've changed hands for way more than that at private sales. I hate to say it but it's about time these cars start getting recognized. They are way cooler than a 57 fuel injected Chevrolet, a 409 Chevrolet or a 406 Ford. Just park an R2 Lark next to one of those and see which one draws the crowd.

Nelson, I couldn't agree more...but of course, I am biased, as the owner of a factory '63 R2 Lark. The Studes never fail to attract a crowd at the MCACN show every year.

BobPalma
12-13-2017, 05:00 PM

;) Aw, c'mon, Nels; you don't hate to say that! :woot: ;) :lol:

Like the man said, you'd be hard-pressed to find one with the OEM engine and transmission, as solid as was this car before being restored, and have it finished to that level for that kind of money. In fact, you couldn't. Just ask Sebastian how much money he'll have in his Green Mist 1963 F4 Regal when it is done. :eek:

:D Congrats to all, all the way around. :cool: BP

jbwhttail
12-13-2017, 05:13 PM
I'm glad the car brought that kind of money, I sold it at what I thought was a fair price five years ago and now the present owner drove it for five years and he received a fair price also. The car was purchased by the Woodland Auto Museum in Buena Vista California and will be displayed along side a 1963 R2 four speed Avanti(that is driven regularly). As Nels said "its about time!". Just this afternoon we dropped of our 1964 R2 GT for a frame off restoration, The sale of the Lark today convinced me that quality done Studebakers can and will bring a fair price. The owner of the Lark shared with me that he has sold several cars thru Bringatrailor.com and always gotten top dollar with low cost.

SScopelli
12-14-2017, 12:34 AM
;) Aw, c'mon, Nels; you don't hate to say that! :woot: ;) :lol:

Like the man said, you'd be hard-pressed to find one with the OEM engine and transmission, as solid as was this car before being restored, and have it finished to that level for that kind of money. In fact, you couldn't. Just ask Sebastian how much money he'll have in his Green Mist 1963 F4 Regal when it is done. :eek:

:D Congrats to all, all the way around. :cool: BP

Oh the humanity Bob:D:lol::!:

Its really a simple question to answer. I don't even keep track.

But seriously my estimates are as follows:

$2,000 Purchase price
$3,000 Engine
$300 Transmission
$400 Rear end/drive train
$900 Exhaust with "X" pipe
$1,800 Powder coating
$500 Zinc plating
$800 Polishing
$800 Frame components
$1,200 Chrome Plating
$1,500 Body Metal prep (media blast)
$2,200 Interior (Green Cloth NOS was available and reasonable, seat reconstruction and installation cost mainly)
$7,000 Paint
$450 Glass
$800 Tires
$500 Brakes
$2,000 Misc goodies
$200 Plumbing
----------------
$26,350

Total sweat equity is not included.

As of now a few categories are actually lower than my estimate, but nothing to brag about.:(

Lets not forget the Whistler restoration will also be a high dollar resto. StudeJohn started with a lower buy in cost from Chuck, and John has a few NOS parts up his sleeve, but I believe the estimates are fair and accurate to get these F body Larks up to snuff.

Hallabutt
12-14-2017, 04:33 AM
Rich,

Not sure what you're comment refers, is it the red seat and door inserts, or is it the black dash and surrounds. I doubt that the red steering column, and wheel would have been correct, but I like the overall look. Not trying to find fault with your comments, but I would like clarification.

I know that the black would not have been incorrect for this car. I have an all original black car, like this, with black interior with white inserts, and a black and white steering wheel. "Malarkey" has original paint and interior, but it's a 259 automatic car. I can vouch for it's authenticity since it's been in the family since it was a year old, when my Dad bought it from the estate of the original owner.

When I got the car after my Dad's passing in 1988, it was intended to be my only Lark concession. Although I had been driving Studebakers since I was seventeen years old (73 now), I was slow to warm up to the stubby little Larks. As my constant companion for almost thirty years, as I drove all over the western US, it completely changed my conception of the Lark. That car is probably the biggest reason that my collection contains four Larks today. I love all my Studebakers, but if I was to make a coast to coast trip, in a Studebaker, this is the car I would take.

nels
12-14-2017, 10:10 AM
I guess the backup bidder was sn60. I'm trying to put a real name to the sn60?

StudeRich
12-14-2017, 04:49 PM
Rich,
Not sure what you're comment refers, is it the red seat and door inserts, or is it the black dash and surrounds. I doubt that the red steering column, and wheel would have been correct, but I like the overall look. Not trying to find fault with your comments, but I would like clarification.

I know that the black would not have been incorrect for this car. I have an all original black car, like this, with black interior with white inserts, and a black and white steering wheel. "Malarkey" has original paint and interior, but it's a 259 automatic car. I can vouch for it's authenticity since it's been in the family since it was a year old, when my Dad bought it from the estate of the original owner./Cut/

Bill I am sorry, I thought that was pretty clear that ALL of the Black is wrong.
I am just saying that you Cannot have Black trim on the Door Panel, Black Inserts in the Seats, Black Piping on the Red Bolsters, and a Black dash in a RED (Maroon) Interior Car IF you want to retain it's "Rare Car, ONE OF XX" Value. :rolleyes:

Yes I know, one of the "Unknowing" did pay $42,000.00 for it, but that's HIS problem.

The Black Interior is fine if you like it, and order a Black Interior, (which I happen to Hate) but you don't get to have Both Red AND Black, thank God! :(

The ONLY option for All Vinyl, was Off-White Seat Inserts or Solid Color like this Car originally had, -all Red.

Skip Lackie
12-15-2017, 07:35 AM
I guess the backup bidder was sn60. I'm trying to put a real name to the sn60?

That's Ed Capozzi's handle on this forum.

nels
12-15-2017, 12:37 PM
Thanks Skip. I thought it looked familiar.

StudeMichael
12-17-2017, 09:52 PM
Bill I am sorry, I thought that was pretty clear that ALL of the Black is wrong.
I am just saying that you Cannot have Black trim on the Door Panel, Black Inserts in the Seats, Black Piping on the Red Bolsters, and a Black dash in a RED (Maroon) Interior Car IF you want to retain it's "Rare Car, ONE OF XX" Value. :rolleyes:

Yes I know, one of the "Unknowing" did pay $42,000.00 for it, but that's HIS problem.

The Black Interior is fine if you like it, and order a Black Interior, (which I happen to Hate) but you don't get to have Both Red AND Black, thank God! :(

The ONLY option for All Vinyl, was Off-White Seat Inserts or Solid Color like this Car originally had, -all Red.

You can't make an incorrect interior correct by liking it. On a rare car it should have been restored correctly. There is not much else to say.

BobPalma
12-18-2017, 04:29 AM
That's Ed Capozzi's handle on this forum.

:) Guys, I've corresponded with the back-up bidder; sn60. It is not Ed Capozzi.

The back-up bidder's ID on Bring a Trailer is sn60, but that's not his ID on our SDC Forum, here. It's pure coincidence that he chose sn60 as his "handle" on the BaT auction site; I'm not sure he is aware of sn60 being Ed Capozzi's ID on the SDC Forum, or even knows Ed. The back-up bidder has posted fewer than 200 times on the SDC Forum. (He told me he chose sn60 for the BaT auction site because he's interested in buying a nice R2 lark.)

I'd go ahead and post his real name here but he's "on" the SDC Forum so I'll let him identify himself if he'd like.

To emphasize: The back-up bidder on this car was not Ed Capozzi despite that bidder's "handle" being sn60 on the Bring a Trailer auction site. Two different people with one common "handle" being used on two different forums. :ohmy:

An easily-understood example: If I registered to bid on Bring a Trailer as Chicken Hawk, it wouldn't be the same Chicken Hawk as on the SDC Forum, who its Ted Harbit.

An odd and ironic coincidence, that's all. :cool: BP