PDA

View Full Version : latest work

bezhawk
12-04-2017, 09:56 PM
68994After doing some preservation work on the Crawford Museum Avanti, I'm building up another one frame up. 68995Made a frame rotisserie.6899668997Tearing into Twin Traction for inspection.68998

studegary
12-04-2017, 10:04 PM
Looks excellent. Is this for yourself or a customer? Is it also a 1964? By "another", do you mean another R3?

bezhawk
12-04-2017, 10:07 PM
For a customer, 63 R2 automatic. Simultaniously doing an R2 4speed car too. Got 7 more lined up.

studegary
12-04-2017, 10:13 PM
For a customer, 63 R2 automatic. Simultaniously doing an R2 4speed car too. Got 7 more lined up.

Thanks for the info. I am glad to see this effort/money being put into Avantis. I would guess that some of the recent auction results have helped your type of business.

bezhawk
12-04-2017, 10:28 PM
Well, the last few sold at auctions were some of my restorations that bought record numbers. It may be the other way around (I hope) that I'm helping raise prices with my work. Rates are the same in this industry weather a Pinto, or a Deusenburg. It's the parts, and amount of time that makes the difference.

studegary
12-04-2017, 10:36 PM
Well, the last few sold at auctions were some of my restorations that bought record numbers. It may be the other way around (I hope) that I'm helping raise prices with my work. Rates are the same in this industry weather a Pinto, or a Deusenburg. It's the parts, and amount of time that makes the difference.

Yes, I realize that the auction results were on Avantis that had your good work done on them. Good work does not always equate to good prices at sale time. I am glad to see your work recognized by appropriate sale prices. This has to help your business and others.

SilverHawkDan
12-04-2017, 11:50 PM
Awesome good to see quality work being done. While not affordable for most it is good that some are willing to make the investment to make their cars as good as they can get. Keep up the good work.
Dan

BobPalma
12-05-2017, 05:55 AM
:!: Very nice, Brad; impressive. :cool: BP

64V-K7
12-05-2017, 04:24 PM
serial number? ? ?

wdills
12-06-2017, 07:49 AM
I want to grow up to be Brad.

bezhawk
12-06-2017, 08:55 AM
I want to grow up to be Brad. Me too! :lol:

swvalcon
12-06-2017, 09:24 AM
I've thought a frame rotisserie would come in handy. Never thought of using engine stands. Best thing is multi purpose. If not using them for a frame they could be used as engine stand. Already have one so just need to get one more. Thanks for the post Brad.

Cruzzar
12-06-2017, 10:53 AM
Regarding using engine stands for a rotisserie, make sure the tube that the original engine stand inserts into is horizontal (parallel to the floor) otherwise the rotisserie framework won't rotate without binding. Some engine stands weld the tube with a slight incline built into them.

DougHolverson
12-06-2017, 01:17 PM
Are engine stands big enough to make a body rotisserie if the body is from a double ender or Hawk?

JoeHall
12-06-2017, 01:55 PM
High quality, professional work. Congrats on your talent, hard work and contributions Brad.

wdills
12-06-2017, 02:30 PM
Doug, I don't think a typical engine stand would be tall enough to allow the body to rotate. Nor would it be wide enough to be very stable. IMHO, a body rotisserie is no place for us to let our CASO shine. That being said, I did build my own rotisserie. But I did it because I was not satisfied with the typical rotisserie that you see advertised. I built mine out of heavier steel and combined what I felt was the best features of several into one piece of equipment.

Charlie D
12-06-2017, 02:47 PM
Brad,

I am hoping you plan to add to this post as you make progress on the frame. It is neat to see the progress recorded with photos. I am assuming what I am seeing in the first few pictures is an epoxy primed frame. Then the brake lines, steering box, and dual exhaust installed. What type of black paint did you use. The twin traction looks really complex. I always enjoy your posts and appreciate the advise you have provided to me in the past.

Charlie D.

bezhawk
12-06-2017, 06:56 PM
I like a paint that is called Chassis Saver made by Magnet paint. It is much like Por-15, but can go over clean metal, and / or primer. Once dry, you can hit it with a hammer, and not mar it. It is that tough. On the Twin traction, I always take them apart. After the last one the spider gear cross pins were both broken in half. I have also seen the clutches galled and severe metal spalling on them. These were in excellent condition. I also use new grade 8 bolts on the case as when force is applied, it forces the cross pins up a ramp to tighten (apply) the clutches. This force spreads the case apart.
On the rotisserie, I agree, if you make one like this, use it only for frames. I did not mean to imply that it was ok to use on a full body.

JoeHall
12-06-2017, 08:11 PM
I like a paint that is called Chassis Saver made by Magnet paint. It is much like Por-15, but can go over clean metal, and / or primer. Once dry, you can hit it with a hammer, and not mar it. It is that tough. On the Twin traction, I always take them apart. After the last one the spider gear cross pins were both broken in half. I have also seen the clutches galled and severe metal spalling on them. These were in excellent condition. I also use new grade 8 bolts on the case as when force is applied, it forces the cross pins up a ramp to tighten (apply) the clutches. This force spreads the case apart.
On the rotisserie, I agree, if you make one like this, use it only for frames. I did not mean to imply that it was ok to use on a full body.

The model 44, TT I installed in the 62GT over 30 years ago is overdue for rebuild. I have no idea how many miles were on the 64 Super Hawk I removed it from, but it has been in my car now over 300,000 miles. Recently, after replacing the power steering hose I took the car into a large parking lot and did several figure 8 turns nad corcles, with the steering lock to lock. I heard the rear end popping and cracking, so put another dose of additive in the oil. But that is only a band aid, as I really need to disassemble and rebuild the rear end. Whew, just another task to add to the round-2-it list.

Wish mine was disassembled and laid out all nice and pretty like yours in in the pix. LOL

(S)
12-06-2017, 08:21 PM
Nice work. On Avanti 1001 James had a heck of a time with the new exhaust system. Being one of 'the' prototypes, the exhaust we got probably fits regular Avanti's just fine, but it did not fit the frame on 1001 ..