1963 Champagne Gold Poly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1963 Champagne Gold Poly

Last week I was considering silver mist poly for repaint of the 63GT. Thanks much for suggestions, especially Bez.

This week, after consultation with the wife, I am leaning toward champagne gold poly. Does anyone know of a modern paint code match?

Thanks Again,
    Joe H

Sorry I can't help with the Champagne Gold Metallic, but it does remind me that the other Day I saw a BEAUTIFUL F-350 that had to be a brand New 2017 or 18 that was a perfect match for that really neat Golden Sand '64 Color.

If you want Original, that would be too Sandy/Beigey and lighter than Champagne Gold, SOME ONE would probably notice!
    Last edited by StudeRich; 12-04-2017, 04:01 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Funny that.... Is aw that same Ford color on a truck the other day. That color was not popular up here back in the 60-70's..... looked good...

Comment

My 1999 Olds 88 is Champagne, which must have been a popular color, as I've seen a lot of them.
        I like the color, and when trying to describe it to people, I tell them it's a light metallic gold with a hint of pink and silver mixed in.

Comment

My 63 Hawk was Champagne Gold originally and I repainted it Champagne Gold. The GT Hawk is a formal looking car. It looks best (IMHO) in a formal color like Champagne. It can still be a sporty car (mine was a 4 speed), but it doesn't need to be a "sporty" color (again IMHO)

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Dick that is a beautiful GT. Do you recall if the Studebaker champagne gold crosses to a modern formula? My painter only uses PPG, but hopefully I can come up with a code or formula for him.

Comment

Thanks, Joe. See March 2008 TW for the story on this car.

IIRC, I took the paint chip book for the product I was using and matched it up to a door jamb. I did not paint the door jambs, trunk and most of under the hood so it did match up real close. I don't remember the color number and I don't have any of the left over paint. Sorry.

BTW, I sold this car to a museum in Winnipeg. It was a Hamilton assembled car. It has been sold at least once since then.
              Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

1963 Studebaker Paint Avanti Gold, Avanti Red, Avanti Turquoise, Avanti White, Seabeach Sand, Seaspray Green, Super Red, 10 Velvet Black, 11 Ermine White, 12 Blue Mist, 13 Green Mist, 14 Silver Mist, 15 Champagne Gold, 16 Regal Red, 17 Rose Mist, Apache Red, Desert Sand, Glade Green, Omaha Orange, Parchment White

PPG code is 22279. If your PPG person can not find it, tell them to call the PPG rep. If they still can not find it, find another PPG painter. Seriously..

Make sure they check the "poly." seems the modern "poly" is very fine.

Here is the PPG match for Blue Mist. Left side is original, right side is PPG. The PPG code from this site, 12717, was used and was able to match it up.

Comment

SScopelli,
                  Looks like 22279 is the real deal. Hopefully can get this formula. Will mention the poly. When painting the Air Force bule poly on the 56J in 1987, I was told poly is very fine metal flake. It came out great on the 56J. Hopefully they will get it right on the 63GT.
                  Thanks Much,
                  Joe H

Comment

Today, I picked up the 63 GT from the paint & body shop. Went with PPG, 1963 Studebaker champagne gold, with white roof, in BC/CC. The paint job and body work are impressive, but I am a bit underwhelmed by the champagne gold. Maybe it is the white roof, that doesn't seem to blend with the gold. Or maybe it is the gold itself.

The color looks identical to the first pic in #5 above, of the painter spraying the paint. However, it is significantly different from all the other, outdoor pix above, of Dick's GT. Mine looks same as the first pic above, whether inside or outdoors.

Oh well, maybe it will grow on me, as sunglow gold did on a 56J I once owned.

Should have some pix to post here, in a week or two.
                    Last edited by JoeHall; 02-23-2018, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Joe keep in mind color on pictures can be deceiving. It's a lot to do with lighting and camera settings.

Comment

My 64 Hawk was painted Campagne Gold 15 yrs ago . Had chip card and matched it to paint chip. Probably a bit crude for the purist. More recently I have found a supplier that will match old colors exactly (Nason) Car was originally Golden Sand which kinda looks like dirt (to me at any rate)

Comment

Working...
                        X