Double-ender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double-ender

I was thinking about how for a "which way is it going?" mobile, my '47 Champion is almost like two different vehicles once you get to know it. You have a blunt front with that busy Exner '40s Art Deco grill. The tapered rear end is like an early salvo of '50s Googie. The rear fenders even have a boomerang looking curve, and the boomerang is like a stereotypical Googie motif.

OTOH, one of the guys that rents Mom's farm glanced over my '51 Starlight the other day from the rear 3/4s and made a remark like "It almost looks like they put the windshield on the wrong end.
    1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
    1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
    1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
    1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
    1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
    1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

They were the butt of many jokes.....50/51s were know as: "Two-row corn pickers"......ya have to have some farm experience to understand.
    Lou Van Anne
    62 Champ
    64 R2 GT Hawk
    79 Avanti II

Comment

The '52s we're termed "clam diggers" by some. I always like the '52s tho.
      Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
      Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

When I was about 10 years old I remember seeing a newspaper article showing two 1950 Studebakers that someone cut in half and welded the two front together.
        Of course now I realize what a waste of two beautiful cars that was.
        In the late 50's and early 60's I remember several times people remarking about my dad's 1950 Champion that it was a "coming or going" styled car.

Comment

I never understood the coming and going thing. Did hear them called corn picker front end.

Comment

The two front end thing has been done numerous times with many cars. The first Studebaker I saw like that was at the Gettysburg IM in 1980.
            The clam digger reference regarding the 52 models never connected with me. Maybe because I know nothing about clam digging. The design reminds me more of a combine.
            "In the heart of Arkansas."
            Searcy, Arkansas
            1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
            1952 2R pickup

Comment

Just my opinion but, I believe the original query about "coming or going" was probably as a result of the wrap-a-round four rear windows in the 5-passenger coupe of 1947. Prior to that the majority of glass was in the front of the vehicle. With the debut of the "Starlight", all of a sudden, the most extensive view was from the rear. Had it only been driven backwards these would have the greatest panoramic view of the road ahead.

Here's the "double-ender" that was at the 1980 Gettysburg International Meet. It was then and still is owned by the Clown Brigade of the Jaffa Shriners Mosque in Altoona, PA.Click image for larger version

Name:	clown car2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	1717476 Click image for larger version

Name:	clown car.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	1717477
              Last edited by rockne10; 12-04-2017, 05:56 PM.
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I agree with Rockne10's opinion on the "which way is it going" saying. The five passenger coupes were quite a sensation when they first came out. I still remember seeing one in late 1946. It was the glass (far above normal for the time) and the rear styling being somewhat similar to the front styling (novel at the time).
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by DougHolverson View Post
                  I was thinking about how for a "which way is it going?" mobile, my '47 Champion is almost like two different vehicles once you get to know it. You have a blunt front with that busy Exner '40s Art Deco grill.
                  There is truth to that. Two different designers, one legitimately working at his job to satisfy his boss, and one working after-hours on the front end to satisfy the customer as I stated here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...-going-to-hurt!

Craig
                  Last edited by 8E45E; 12-05-2017, 06:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                    I agree with Rockne10's opinion on the "which way is it going" saying. The five passenger coupes were quite a sensation when they first came out. I still remember seeing one in late 1946. It was the glass (far above normal for the time) and the rear styling being somewhat similar to the front styling (novel at the time).
                    Yes. I guess you hadda be there. I recently was listening to a rebroadcast of a fall 1946 Jack Benny radio show where the new "coming or going" 1947 Studebakers were the running gag of the night. Not in a disparaging way. (The show was sponsored by Jello, not Studebaker.)
                    Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
                    X