How much vacuum at idle '50 Champion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: How much vacuum at idle '50 Champion

I have a stock 1950 Champion Starlight. Wondering what I should expect to see for an optimal vacuum reading at idle? Is it the usual 17-21 in Hg vac or would it normally be lower? I disconnected the vacuum line from the wiper motor and I'm reading off of that.

I haven't checked idle vacuum in many years, but I'd say you are right that it should fall in the 17-21 range.
    With the long stoke 6 that Studebaker used, I'd expect more toward the high end.

Comment

Vacuum in the Champion is very dependent upon the condition of the valve guides. Worn guides will lower the intake manifold vacuum considerably, as air is being pulled up the intake guide.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

This might be helpful--https://www.motor.com/magazine-summary/mastering-the-basics-reading-a-vacuum-gauge/

Comment

Vacuum, in a '50 champ.....I guess I've heard of it....I have some until I touch the gas pedal, then the wipers stop.....(that's why I put a double action pump on). I agree that the valve guides influence what you can measure and experience (I'm sure mine are worn out....)
          Mike S

Comment

Working...
          X