early 1953 studebaker vin, (serial) numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• early 1953 studebaker vin, (serial) numbers

is there a number where studebaker stopped using the mercedes star logo after they were sued? i have an early starliner with the mercedes star identification; really curious as to where it fits into the picture. thank you.
    gfperry

Yes, it's covered in the body parts book. US cars are listed by body numbers so you'll need the information on the firewall body tag.
    Canadian cars are listed by serial number.
    Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	53 and bells diner 045.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	1717470I think it was at least 3/4 of the production year. I have one of these, and curious myself. This one has the tri star wheel covers, radio delete, ash trays, horn button........ and may be for sale.

Comment

Originally posted by arkusvt View Post
        is there a number where studebaker stopped using the mercedes star logo after they were sued?
        On the C/K bodies, at least, I believe, the Vernon assembly plant in southern California, used them throughout the entire 1953 model year.

Mark
        sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

is there a number where studebaker stopped using the mercedes star logo after they were sued?
          Studebaker was NEVER sued by Mercedes Benz over the use of the Tri-Star. They were cordially asked to cease using it without even the threat of legal action. After all, four years later, Studebaker-Packard took over the distribution of Mercedes Benz products in USA and Canada.

Craig

Comment

They continued to use the tristar as a raised section of the back-up light lenses on C/K cars until 55. That was aldo the last time they used glass for major lenses (except for license lights.
            Bez Auto Alchemy
            573-318-8948
            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Your forgetting the Avanti headlamp lenses those were glass in fact Avanti Motors had to do a recall because of the glass headlamp lenses in the late 60s or early 70s as glass lenses were deemed to be unsafe.

Comment

Originally posted by S2Deluxe View Post
                On the C/K bodies, at least, I believe, the Vernon assembly plant in southern California, used them throughout the entire 1953 model year.

Mark
                The hood and trunk tristars were used throughout the model year on 1953s assembled in Vernon (LA).
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

i haven't purchased a body parts manual as yet. the vin.# is 8323568, the body# is 4H-K5,8802.the body plate is attached by two phillips head screws. is that correct? the car was repainted with a color change 28 years ago; the plate and screws are the new color. i acquired the car from an 84 year old gent who bought it 50 years ago from the original owner; it has 29k original miles on her, with only 9k added in the last 50 years, so i have no reason to question anything, just curious. thanks for any help!
                  gfperry

Comment

...the body plate is attached by two phillips head screws. is that correct? the car was repainted with a color change 28 years ago; the plate and screws are the new color.
                    That IS correct; and the body tag was screwed in place before final painting, so under it should be only primer. Not that anyone will ever care to look.
                    Brad Johnson,
                    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Per the 53-58 Body Parts Catalog, Pg 30 [Closed Bodies, U S A]

Note #24
                      Type "A" emblem [tristar] used on models before body numbers

14G
                      W1-2887
                      W3-9792
                      W5-12604
                      F1-1771
                      F3-4685
                      F5-2061
                      C3-3258
                      C5-10335

4H
                      W3-7729
                      W5-6014
                      Y5-13014
                      F3-1617
                      C3-3751
                      C5-11445

This would refer to the trunk emblem since the hood and front emblem is covered in the chassis parts catalog.
                      But I suppose the hood emblem would have changed at the same body number.

Note #25
                      Type "B" emblem [V] used on and after body numbers and car serials in Note 24.

Per Pg #257, [Open Bodies, U S A]
                      Note #21
                      Type "A" ornament used on models before body numbers

14G
                      K5-7547

4H
                      K5-15058

Note #22
                      Type "B" ornament used on and after body numbers and serials in Note #21
                      Last edited by 55 56 PREZ 4D; 12-05-2017, 10:58 PM. Reason: added K5 info
                      South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

i haven't purchased a body parts manual as yet. the vin.# is 8323568, the body# is 4H-K5,8802.the body plate is attached by two phillips head screws. is that correct? the car was repainted with a color change 28 years ago; the plate and screws are the new color. i acquired the car from an 84 year old gent who bought it 50 years ago from the original owner; it has 29k original miles on her, with only 9k added in the last 50 years, so i have no reason to question anything, just curious. thanks for any help!
                        One of the South Bend built Commander Starliners that I owned had a S/N starting in 833XXXX (higher than yours). I knew that car since it was new and it had the Tri-Star hood and trunk emblems.

The Serial Number plate should be spot welded on and not painted. The body plate should be held on with Phillips head screws and be painted with the body.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

55 56 PREZ 4D - (I didn't want to repeat your chart.) Your chart does not include the K body Starliners.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Per the '51-'54 chassis manual:

Type "A" aka tri-star hood emblems used on:

14G W & F body S/N G1245498 and earlier
                            14G C & K body S/N G1246604 and earlier
                            4H W, F & Y body S/N 8340196 and earlier
                            4H C & K body S/N 8339269 and earlier

Type "B" aka the V/S emblems start with the next S/Ns from those.

My own '53 K body is a 14G-K5 and S/N G1228619 and has the tri-stars. It was built in May of '53.

Jeff in ND

Comment

Your serial number indicates the car was built in May of 1953. That was the same month it was decided to quit putting the three pointed star on new production, but they kept them in parts stock for replacement purposes.
                              Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Working...
                              X