PDA

View Full Version : Who has the rustiest, crustiest '50 or '51 Studebaker close to northwest Louisiana?

tomlewis
12-01-2017, 09:25 PM
I'm thinking about yard art. My wife and I own acreage in a rural part of Bossier Parish Louisiana. (No zoning). We keep it well manicured and trim, cutting all of it with either lawn mower or tractor and bush hog. Very mature oak trees abound. None of my antique cars or parts sit outside.

This week we drove down to southern Texas to pick up a drivetrain for one of the antiques, and it occurred to me that yard art could be done with much more class than what we saw.

I am now looking for a '50 or '51 Studebaker that I might strategically place in the yard as decoration. I picked '50 and '51 because the bulletnose is so iconic that even the most ignorant of the folks who drive by should recognize that it is something special. Body style is not really important, but to be a candidate, the car must not (even in the most rabid Studebaker enthusiast's mind) ever be restorable. It must have the bullet nose and grilles (or remnants) still in place. Little evidence of paint would be a plus. Lack of glass or a hood would give me the opportunity to plant a tree to grow through. I would keep the whole display trimmed up, but the whole idea would be for it to once again be one with the earth.

it would be nice to be able to roll it into place, but I could either drag it with my tractor or rent a forklift.

Now, I have not yet broached the subject of this brainstorm with my wife, but I've gotten away with much worse, so it might fly.

In any case, who has a '50 or '51 Studebaker they want removed from their property that is close enough to northwest Louisiana to make this craziness possible? Obviously I want to pay nothing or close to it.

Thanks. Tom Lewis

TWChamp
12-01-2017, 10:45 PM
So, you want something like this. This poor truck looks like it must have been pretty good when it was put out to pasture.
Here's a Studebaker celebrating Christmas the year round.

68929 68930

HOXXOH
12-01-2017, 11:08 PM
It must be something about the name Tom, since I acquired the front clip of a '51 for the same purpose. Although I intend to paint it up a bit and park it next to a wall. I'll place a few broken concrete blocks around and on the hood as if it had crashed part way through the wall. Yeah, my wife shook her head, but walked away laughing.

mbstude
12-02-2017, 08:23 AM
If you can’t find one closer, there’s a ‘51 here that would fit the bill.

8E45E
12-02-2017, 08:37 AM
If you can’t find one closer, there’s a ‘51 here that would fit the bill.

Matt,

It your photos of a '51 were posted here, you'll have to repost them, thanks to Photobucket: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?3274-Rustiest-car-contest&highlight=rustiest

Craig

Buzzard
12-02-2017, 01:26 PM
Also if closer is not an option, here is an Arizona relic I found in a wash.6893868939
Bill

Greenstude
12-02-2017, 02:27 PM
2 --- The '50 in this picture was in an auto salvage on Noyes Mill Road, Limestone, Maine, adjacent to the US Air Force base there. The yard had around 5,000 vehicles in it, from about 1930 to 1970. There were dozens of them with trees growing through them. The yard had a lot of luxury cars, many convertibles, odd-balls like Diamond T pickups, and even a Studebaker Weasel. Many cars in the yard were purchased and restored by antique auto enthusiasts from Maine and the Maritime Provinces of Canada. The yard was crushed in the mid-1990s.

Sadly, the source of many of the better cars was the contract that Calvin West, the original yard owner, had to remove abandoned vehicles from the air base. During the Viet Nam War, far too many airmen did not return to reclaim their vehicles. It also explains why a salvage yard in north-eastern Maine had vehicles with license plates from all parts of the United States.

I took this picture in May 1991, and a few years ago posted it to my account, JarvisEye, at www.Flickr.com (http://www.Flickr.com). I assume others have copied it from there. It has been viewed by almost 3,000 Flickr members.

tomlewis
12-09-2017, 05:50 PM
OK. Yeah, those pictures are what I had in mind. I'll never live long enough to see a tree the size of the one growing out of that Dodge panel truck, but everything starts small.

I just broke the idea to my wife and she actually thought it was a good idea. It might become a landmark ---"When you pass the old Studebaker on the left, go another mile and we'll be the brick house on the right"

i couldn't access the pictures of the yard in Maine. I can imagine it would break my heart. I was in a yard in Georgia about 20 years ago that had been closed so long that some of the trees growing through the cars were about 20 inches in diameter. All the rest was real thick undergrowth The current owner was trying to clear it to be able to sell cars or parts, but all the cars were really far gone. Maybe some stainless trim was salvageable

So, now the hunt is on in earnest. Who has my dream junker closest to northwest Louisiana?

Tom

mbstude
12-09-2017, 07:26 PM
So, now the hunt is on in earnest. Who has my dream junker closest to northwest Louisiana?

Tom

I'll get a picture of the '51 tomorrow just for the fun of it. It's a lot worse than the one that Buzzard posted pictures of.

TWChamp
12-09-2017, 09:04 PM
I just got home from picking up a load of Turning Wheels magazines in Red Wing, then on to drop off a Model AA truck windshield frame 30 miles further south. He saw the Turning Wheels magazines, then pointed to a large ditch and said there are 2 bullet nose Studebakers buried in the bank. I should have asked how long ago they were buried, but I doubt there's much left of them now.

mbstude
12-12-2017, 12:59 PM

Hard to see in this picture but the roof is caved in from a tree falling on it.

I know we've got some junky grilles and a bullet around here somewhere.

tomlewis
12-29-2017, 05:17 PM
Here are some candidates I found not 25 miles from my house.693746937569376Right now the'52 sedan is the most presentable for a display. Headlights and grille make it look more like what I want. The '48 Starlight coupe is the most interesting body style, but has no front clip. I am leaning towards the '50 sedan. It has the bumpers inside the car and I know crusty headlight doors and grilles and bullet nose are out there. It has a drawback in that it still has an engine in it, but I could pull that to make the car lighter to pull around and make room for a tree to grow. I spoke with the owner this morning, and he laughed and said I was the second guy in a week to be looking for yard art. The other guy was looking for and old truck. There are at least 50 at this location (no Studebakers). Anyway, I'm sure we'll come to a deal.

Junk Studebakers in the front yard ---for this I went to college?

Tom

Cowtown Commander
12-29-2017, 06:02 PM
Poor, poor Brenda she marries a guy driving a Porsche and now he's dragging home nasty Studebakers for "yard art". Grand kids went to spend the weekend with their maternal grand mother in Shreveport today - I told grandson he should get his grandma to take him to see my friend Tom's collection of "Old Timey" cars and he thought that was a grand idea. I have been trying to find the picture from Pate a few years ago with you in front of a Big Foot Bullet Nose Stude - now that was an opportunity for you to pick up some unique yard art.

tomlewis
12-29-2017, 08:05 PM
Sure, George. Let them know they'd be welcome. Is that the Grandson I met at Pate? I don't expect to leave the property until after New Years Day. You know my phone number.

I know you're just jealous because you probably couldn't get away with this craziness in the big city.

I remember that high-rise bullet nose. I didn't recall that you had taken pictures.

Tom

BobWaitz
12-30-2017, 10:30 AM
Sorry I'm late to the party, Tom, but I have a couple of prospects for you:

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.5027826,-93.7542263,3a,75y,92.95h,78.82t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sN_F76E289A6JSqj-lZ_wRA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Right here in downtown Shreveport there are at least three rusty examples of Studebaker's finest: A Champ and a '51, and another I can't see the front of in the second view:

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.5025834,-93.7542592,3a,75y,100.84h,78.09t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sYMy4g88nx27n4W-VQpPfdw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Texas Auto Sales
1135 Texas Ave
(318) 221-7186

I saw these cars while driving through town in 2014 and if you notice, the streetview from 2017 shows they haven't moved at all. You could probably tow it home from there on a quiet Sunday morning.

tomlewis
12-30-2017, 09:11 PM
Thanks Bob. I think the last time I spoke to the owner of those relics was about 15 years ago. There are more Studebakers on that lot. The " good" ones are up front I'd see them every day because I was carrying the mail in Shreveport and my route was beyond this lot and I'd drive by. At that time the cars looked like they had not moved for about 25 years and the owner was the type of guy who was convinced that they were worth their weight in gold, when what they were actually worth was their weight in scrap. I think he quoted me a price of 8 or 10 thousand for the '51 and I didn't realize that I looked that stupid It was fun talking to him though. The cars are still there, and I really don't think that any of the other makes have moved either.

About a mile west of that lot, on the same street, there was a '37 Dictator sedan. That one would have made really good yard art, but it disappeared about 12 years ago.

Tom

BobWaitz
12-30-2017, 11:05 PM
Bummer! I spent a couple weeks every summer there growing up as my Mom's family is from the area. I hope to get down there sometime next year to visit my Aunt and a few cousins. I'll let you know when that is and maybe we can talk Studes a little.