PDA

View Full Version : Wow. A really nice Coupe

studefan
11-29-2017, 09:55 PM
A beautiful car. Could the miles be original?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1938-Studebaker-State-Commander/112663793124?hash=item1a3b490de4:g:XhkAAOSwZqZaHzyZ&vxp=mtr

ddub
11-29-2017, 11:56 PM
Would love to have it. I would like to see comments from ASC types.

Chris Pile
11-30-2017, 06:26 AM
Hubba-hubba!

8E45E
11-30-2017, 06:32 AM
About the third one I've seen with the Miracle Shift transmission.

Craig

junior
11-30-2017, 06:40 AM
Very striking car, is that Miracle Shift like a pre-selector for a manual gearbox? Cheers, junior

8E45E
11-30-2017, 07:21 AM
Miracle-Shift was not a pre-selector in any way. It was designed to keep the floor space free for a middle passenger, and utilized engine vacuum and a mechanical actuator near the transmission to perform the shifts.

More here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?68965-vacuum-shift

Craig

t walgamuth
11-30-2017, 08:57 AM
Cool! I love the lines.

6hk71400
11-30-2017, 09:40 AM
About the third one I've seen with the Miracle Shift transmission.

Craig
I will have to check and see if this was Bruce Sandburg's car. It was featured years ago in Hemming's Classic Car under the drivable dream section. At the time, the coupe had 55,000 miles on it and wore original black paint. The knob on the shifter was original but had chips in it. Bruce's coupe did not have overdrive. He sold it years ago. I am not sure but what are the chances of another 38 coupe with Miracle Shift being around?

Bob Miles
Tucson AZ

8E45E
11-30-2017, 01:32 PM
I will have to check and see if this was Bruce Sandburg's car. It was featured years ago in Hemming's Classic Car under the drivable dream section. At the time, the coupe had 55,000 miles on it and wore original black paint. The knob on the shifter was original but had chips in it. Bruce's coupe did not have overdrive. He sold it years ago.

I don't believe so. His has this 'fatman' steering wheel: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?67683-Picture-of-a-horn-button-for-1938-Commander&highlight=fatman&styleid=1

Craig

6hk71400
11-30-2017, 01:43 PM
I don't believe so. His has this 'fatman' steering wheel: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?67683-Picture-of-a-horn-button-for-1938-Commander&highlight=fatman&styleid=1

Craig

You are correct Sir! I remember that Bruce put that on his coupe. Jokingly when Chuck Naugle was making one of his trips back east, Bruce said if you find one of these wheels get it. When Chuck got back, he was showing Bruce pictures of his trip and the last picture was of a fatman wheel that the Schrock brothers had. Chuck then pull the wheel out of Earl and Bruce bought it.

Robert Miles
Tucson AZ

Hallabutt
11-30-2017, 02:51 PM
The 38 is a great looking car! I hope whoever buys it leaves it stock! There are very few 30's Studebaker coupes, of any year that have survived. The Presidents are especially scarce, but the 38 Commander is in the same category. 1938 was a down year for all the car makers, but while the Stude, with it's cathedral headlights received critical acclaim, the public didn't buy it. Even today the styling tends to polarize people.

There is a grey one that resides in the Portland area. I think that it formally belonged to Harry Schesnuk. Harry and I had been talking about it's purchase for years. I was just waiting for him to let me know when he was ready to sell. I'm still not sure how it got away, but he said that it went to someone in the Portland area. I think that I saw the car at the Forest Grove Concours d' Elegance this year. I never was able to contact the owner to confirm that it was the same car. Anyone know the car, and care to comment?

As an aside, the 1938 and 1939 shared the same body. The front end treatment makes the cars look completely different. While the 1940 might easily be mistaken for the 1939, because of the little changed front end, the bodies were completely different. The 1940 was the last pre-war President/Commander business coupe offered by Studebaker. There have been several interesting 1939's advertised lately. I know if I didn't already own one I would have been interested.