Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For a 2R: Will a 1 ton front axle assembly fit under a 1.5 ton without much hassle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame / Springs: For a 2R: Will a 1 ton front axle assembly fit under a 1.5 ton without much hassle?

I have a '49 or '50 2R16A that the front wheels are frozen. I have found a front axle assembly from a 2R15 (year unknown). Will it fit without much hassle? Mine has the lever shocks, not sure if the other one does or not.

Ataim.

To switch the Shock Type, just save the correct Brackets for the Airplane Type (Tubular) and use those since they are available shocks New.

I am sure the Studebaker Truck Parts Catalog will show a Larger Dia. "I" Beam on a 1 1/2 Ton, but it likely IS interchangeable since the 1 1/2 Ton Axle was an Option on 1 Tons, you "Should" be able to go backwards.

This is one of those things that unless you have actually DONE it, you or likely no one will know for SURE.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by Ataim View Post
      I have a '49 or '50 2R16A that the front wheels are frozen. I have found a front axle assembly from a 2R15 (year unknown). Will it fit without much hassle? Mine has the lever shocks, not sure if the other one does or not.

Ataim.
      The 2R15 front axle will be about 2.5 inches shorter in tread width and will probably have 17" wheels. The 2R16A should have 20" wheels. Not sure about whether the bolt patterns are the same or how much of the brake hardware will interchange. Do you know why the front wheels are frozen? Brakes stuck? Wheel bearings?

As I stated in my response to your question on Stude Truck Talk, only the 1/2 and 3/4-ton trucks had tubular shocks, so both the 2R15 and 2R16A would have had lever shocks.
      Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post

I am sure the Studebaker Truck Parts Catalog will show a Larger Dia. "I" Beam on a 1 1/2 Ton, but it likely IS interchangeable since the 1 1/2 Ton Axle was an Option on 1 Tons, you "Should" be able to go backwards.
        Rich-
        This is news to me. Am familiar with optional HD springs and rear axles, but not front axles. Can you point me to where the 1.5-ton axle is listed as being optional on 1-ton trucks?
        Skip Lackie

Comment

Might be better to unstick those fronts for the 16.

BTW, since you are in Texas, there's a 2r16 or 17 with 2pd rear that I found in a Junkyard in Ringold, Texas; not far from Witchita Falls on Hwy 82. The junkyard is visible from Hwy 82 if anyone is interested. Truck was complete. Been a while, last time I was in the area was 2003.

Comment

Working...
          X