39 Commander

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 39 Commander

hello all as you can see im new on here and to the studebaker as well. My parents bought a 1939 Commander for me for graduation a few years ago and it has been sitting in the garage ever since. It has never been touched and ALL PARTS are there. My question is where do I start with one of these I want to keep it ALL ORIGINAL because it only has 21000 miles on it....any help would be great!

Thanks ahead of time!

Depending on how far you want to go with a restoration, you can start almost anywhere. I don't have lot of money for full retsorations, so I always start with the mechanical stuff to get the car at least running and movable - and preferably safe (good brakes are a must).
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Depending on how far you want to go with a restoration, you can start almost anywhere. I don't have lot of money for full retsorations, so I always start with the mechanical stuff to get the car at least running and movable - and preferably safe (good brakes are a must).
      "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

all right what do you all suggest for someone who has no knowledge on a flathead are there books or anything out there that would help through out this process

Comment

all right what do you all suggest for someone who has no knowledge on a flathead are there books or anything out there that would help through out this process

Comment

First thing, get your Service Manual and Chassis & Body Parts Catalogues. These are available (very reasonably) from most of the vendors linked to the home page.

Las Vegas, NV - Stop by, coffee's on!
            '51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434

Comment

First thing, get your Service Manual and Chassis & Body Parts Catalogues. These are available (very reasonably) from most of the vendors linked to the home page.

Las Vegas, NV - Stop by, coffee's on!
              '51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434

Comment

Also join the Antique Studebaker Club. Check out the link on the SDC home page. Check out their web site also.

Gary Sanders
                Nixa, MO
                President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
                Gary Sanders
                Nixa, MO

Comment

Also join the Antique Studebaker Club. Check out the link on the SDC home page. Check out their web site also.

Gary Sanders
                  Nixa, MO
                  President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
                  Gary Sanders
                  Nixa, MO

Comment

DITTO, DITTO, DITTO!

Get the Manual and catalogs.

Join ASC at

First the brakes! I would rather a car have no go than no whoa.

If you are going to do a complete resto, you can start just about anywhere but, if the wiring harness is original, don't piece it together before you turn the key. Replace it.

Brad Johnson
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
                    Brad Johnson,
                    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

DITTO, DITTO, DITTO!

Get the Manual and catalogs.

Join ASC at

First the brakes! I would rather a car have no go than no whoa.

If you are going to do a complete resto, you can start just about anywhere but, if the wiring harness is original, don't piece it together before you turn the key. Replace it.

Brad Johnson
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
                      Brad Johnson,
                      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

thanks for all the help so far everyone!

Comment

thanks for all the help so far everyone!

Comment

Working...
                          X