PDA

View Full Version : Is there a good Buy/Sell Studebaker online forum?

avanti-hawk
11-26-2017, 10:28 AM
I always enjoy perusing the cars and parts for sale, and I also find cars for sale quite often that I would like to pass on to interested parties.
So where do all of you recommend? I'm looking for online sources,as i get Turning Wheels magazine.

TWChamp
11-26-2017, 11:42 AM
A nation wide Craigslist search would be a good place to check, as well as ebay, but everything imaginable has "also fits 1950 Studebaker" attached to it, so you have to add -fits to the search wording.

PackardV8
11-26-2017, 12:28 PM
Many here enjoy Bring A Trailer. https://bringatrailer.com/ The Stude content is very sporadic, but usually some interesting stuff there.

jack vines

brngarage
11-26-2017, 12:36 PM
Check out www.studebakerswap.com

mbstude
11-26-2017, 03:15 PM
Check out www.studebakerswap.com

Lately, that site has been over taken by the same 3 guys listing the same junk over and over and over. Makes it tough to wade through.

I’d love to see SDC add a buy/sell section to this forum, but we’ve already had that discussion a few times.

paul shuffleburg
11-26-2017, 03:40 PM
try www.cargraph.com/usa/studebaker

KenF
11-26-2017, 05:42 PM
Some car forums I'm on have a "found it on ..." section, where you can post links to craiglist or ebay or bringatrailer, and alert members to cars/trucks of interest that pop up on those sites. Ebay doesn't really need the help, but CL ads are harder to search nationwide (those third party CL search sites all kind suck). I occasionally come across a Stude on CL too far away for me to respond to but might interest a member here. Seems a lot of posts linking to CL on this site get dumped into the general forum.

avanti-hawk
11-27-2017, 06:52 AM
Lately, that site has been over taken by the same 3 guys listing the same junk over and over and over. Makes it tough to wade through.

I’d love to see SDC add a buy/sell section to this forum, but we’ve already had that discussion a few times. What were the reasons for not having a section on this site?
Thanks for all the leads guys!!

jclary
11-27-2017, 07:16 AM

I’d love to see SDC add a buy/sell section to this forum, but we’ve already had that discussion a few times.

What were the reasons for not having a section on this site?

We have had this question/discussion enough to take a very serious look at "who, what, where, when, and WHY?"

Here, with the SDC Forum at large, we have several "sub-forums," that go kinda un-noticed, or visited infrequently, like the IDYS, Studebaker Passings, International Meet & Regional Forums.

My questions are...1) What would be the expense? 2) What harm would it be to (at least) establish a trial forum of "cars for sale?" 3) Who would write the rules?
4) Who would moderate the new forum? 5) Since there is already a website listing parts for sale...would we limit our new "Studebaker For Sale," forum to cars and not parts?

Some of the things to consider, but the topic comes up enough that it warrants more than a mere dismissal of the idea.

Skip Lackie
11-27-2017, 09:33 AM
What were the reasons for not having a section on this site?

Rather than repeat again the various oft-repeated explanations, I refer you to this thread from earlier this year:

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?99915-where-is-the-for-sale-section

However, I will repeat this recommendation: if anyone is unhappy with the current policy, you should contact your board member. Exchanging complaints about it here may make you feel better, but it won't move us forward.

Corley
11-27-2017, 11:05 AM
That forum has no place for free stuff. I have a couple automatic transmissions I'd like to have just go away. Both were working when pulled, one from '63 Avanti, one from '72 Jag XJ6 (which I believe I read will fit in earlier Studes). I don't want to have to mess with crating and shipping, so local pickup only, in the Vancouver Washington area. Also, a free rolling '54 Starliner chassis in decent shape and a few odds and ends. Seems there isn't a place to offer these, other than TW, and that seems like a pain to me, as we can't exchange info easily. Maybe the TW ads section could also be mirrored online in this forum??? I think Hemmings does that...?...

Lou Van Anne
11-27-2017, 08:40 PM
Makes no sense to me....a buy/sell function would be an important, popular feature, no?

jclary
11-27-2017, 09:15 PM
Rather than repeat again the various oft-repeated explanations, I refer you to this thread from earlier this year:

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?99915-where-is-the-for-sale-section

However, I will repeat this recommendation: if anyone is unhappy with the current policy, you should contact your board member. Exchanging complaints about it here may make you feel better, but it won't move us forward.

Skip, I appreciate your willingness to look up and post the link I was too lazy to to do for myself. This subject comes up rather often, especially from new members who have experience on other forums where "for sale" items are common, and very popular. When I was posting, the aspect of "competing" with our printed publications was not even on my mind. I have used my "once per year free" membership ad in turning wheels before, but it has been years. For our serious full time vendors, I believe the "Turning Wheels" route is still very valid. Especially, since many of our (older/traditional) members have not joined the computer scene.

I see a time coming when instead of "competing" perhaps "online" advertising can somehow join with printed publications in a kind of partnership to expand and enhance both. I don't have experience in the technology or economics of either medium to comment further with credibility. Hopefully, we will get it figured out. In the mean time, perhaps you (or our moderator) should keep your reference information in a "saved" file' to quickly, retrieve and post for future threads. 'cause we know...it will keep coming up.;)

Skip Lackie
11-28-2017, 03:47 PM
Makes no sense to me....a buy/sell function would be an important, popular feature, no?

Please read the explanations and discussion in the thread linked in post #10 above.

cultural infidel
11-28-2017, 04:37 PM
That forum has no place for free stuff. I have a couple automatic transmissions I'd like to have just go away. Both were working when pulled, one from '63 Avanti, one from '72 Jag XJ6 (which I believe I read will fit in earlier Studes). I don't want to have to mess with crating and shipping, so local pickup only, in the Vancouver Washington area. Also, a free rolling '54 Starliner chassis in decent shape and a few odds and ends. Seems there isn't a place to offer these, other than TW, and that seems like a pain to me, as we can't exchange info easily. Maybe the TW ads section could also be mirrored online in this forum??? I think Hemmings does that...?...

It would be pretty rad if this forum, like many other automotive forums, had a section for classifieds. I stopped receiving TW simply because I never read it. It was pretty to look at on my end table, but, all it did was gather dust. I am one of those young whippersnappers who would rather everything be in one spot for ease and simplicity. I forgot all about the studebakerswap page as it has been ages since I went there. I would think that classifieds on the forum would drum up more traffic for the SDCF and club in general. Could be wrong though..

64V-K7
11-28-2017, 11:21 PM
Wouldn't it be great if SDC could host a pseudo-ebay site just for us. I know there would be occasional legal headaches but they could make a dime in the process

wittsend
11-29-2017, 12:33 PM
You may know about the cost of establishing and maintaining a Forum, but I'm not sure that many of the board members who voted on the creation of this forum 12-15 years ago knew that. Such knowledge is not one of the requirements for board candidacy -- in fact, there aren't any except for being a paid-up member of SDC. ...

The above quote is from the link http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?99915-where-is-the-for-sale-section/page2 provided by said person quoted above. What I find interesting is in that thread, nor this thread is there any OFFICIAL statement to the subject at hand from a top SDC board member (or the board as a whole). Thus it leaves one to wonder if they themselves actually use/read the forum (at least on a regular, knowing basis)???

If the goal of the SDC (and its board) is the promotion of "Studebakers" it has the appearance of a disconnect from a genuine need to accomplish that goal. While clubs have policies that members can vote on there seems to be a lack of comprehension for a need (otherwise why has the subject come up so often). And as such one would wonder why internally, within the board itself, there is nothing to be heard from them as leaders. In essence it is a very self obvious matter that goes unanswered by those who are in a position to either change policy or offer a concrete answer for why things remain as they are. Instead the answers come from those who elect to speak unofficially on the boards behalf. For all the good that the SDC does, on this matter it has the unfortunate appearance of a closed society. And while the "for sale" policy may have sufficed for a past reason going forward it seems headed for a negative effect.

Skip Lackie
11-29-2017, 04:18 PM
The above quote is from the link http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?99915-where-is-the-for-sale-section/page2 provided by said person quoted above. What I find interesting is in that thread, nor this thread is there any OFFICIAL statement to the subject at hand from a top SDC board member (or the board as a whole). Thus it leaves one to wonder if they themselves actually use/read the forum (at least on a regular, knowing basis)???

If the goal of the SDC (and its board) is the promotion of "Studebakers" it has the appearance of a disconnect from a genuine need to accomplish that goal. While clubs have policies that members can vote on there seems to be a lack of comprehension for a need (otherwise why has the subject come up so often). And as such one would wonder why internally, within the board itself, there is nothing to be heard from them as leaders. In essence it is a very self obvious matter that goes unanswered by those who are in a position to either change policy or offer a concrete answer for why things remain as they are. Instead the answers come from those who elect to speak unofficially on the boards behalf. For all the good that the SDC does, on this matter it has the unfortunate appearance of a closed society. And while the "for sale" policy may have sufficed for a past reason going forward it seems headed for a negative effect.

No disagreement with the points you raise. As I noted in the earlier thread on this subject, I proposed to my board member that SDC's advertising policy be revised to allow more free ads and the establishment of a members-only classified ads page on the main SDC web site. I did not attend this year's IM, so don't know what, if anything, the board did with my ideas. As you point out, the fact that this issue keeps coming up would seem to indicate that some feedback from the board would be helpful. Valerie Hansen has now been appointed to the new position of classified advertising editor, which is good start. But like you, I await further developments.