Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a good Buy/Sell Studebaker online forum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a good Buy/Sell Studebaker online forum?

I always enjoy perusing the cars and parts for sale, and I also find cars for sale quite often that I would like to pass on to interested parties.
    So where do all of you recommend? I'm looking for online sources,as i get Turning Wheels magazine.

A nation wide Craigslist search would be a good place to check, as well as ebay, but everything imaginable has "also fits 1950 Studebaker" attached to it, so you have to add -fits to the search wording.

Comment

Many here enjoy Bring A Trailer. https://bringatrailer.com/ The Stude content is very sporadic, but usually some interesting stuff there.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

Check out www.studebakerswap.com
        Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
        '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
        '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
        '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

Originally posted by brngarage View Post
          Lately, that site has been over taken by the same 3 guys listing the same junk over and over and over. Makes it tough to wade through.

I’d love to see SDC add a buy/sell section to this forum, but we’ve already had that discussion a few times.

Comment

try www.cargraph.com/usa/studebaker

Comment

Some car forums I'm on have a "found it on ..." section, where you can post links to craiglist or ebay or bringatrailer, and alert members to cars/trucks of interest that pop up on those sites. Ebay doesn't really need the help, but CL ads are harder to search nationwide (those third party CL search sites all kind suck). I occasionally come across a Stude on CL too far away for me to respond to but might interest a member here. Seems a lot of posts linking to CL on this site get dumped into the general forum.

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                Lately, that site has been over taken by the same 3 guys listing the same junk over and over and over. Makes it tough to wade through.

I’d love to see SDC add a buy/sell section to this forum, but we’ve already had that discussion a few times.
                What were the reasons for not having a section on this site?
                Thanks for all the leads guys!!

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post

Originally posted by avanti-hawk View Post
                  We have had this question/discussion enough to take a very serious look at "who, what, where, when, and WHY?"

Here, with the SDC Forum at large, we have several "sub-forums," that go kinda un-noticed, or visited infrequently, like the IDYS, Studebaker Passings, International Meet & Regional Forums.

My questions are...1) What would be the expense? 2) What harm would it be to (at least) establish a trial forum of "cars for sale?" 3) Who would write the rules?
                  4) Who would moderate the new forum? 5) Since there is already a website listing parts for sale...would we limit our new "Studebaker For Sale," forum to cars and not parts?

Some of the things to consider, but the topic comes up enough that it warrants more than a mere dismissal of the idea.
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by avanti-hawk View Post
                    Rather than repeat again the various oft-repeated explanations, I refer you to this thread from earlier this year:

However, I will repeat this recommendation: if anyone is unhappy with the current policy, you should contact your board member. Exchanging complaints about it here may make you feel better, but it won't move us forward.
                    Last edited by Skip Lackie; 11-27-2017, 02:11 PM. Reason: typo
                    Skip Lackie

Comment

That forum has no place for free stuff. I have a couple automatic transmissions I'd like to have just go away. Both were working when pulled, one from '63 Avanti, one from '72 Jag XJ6 (which I believe I read will fit in earlier Studes). I don't want to have to mess with crating and shipping, so local pickup only, in the Vancouver Washington area. Also, a free rolling '54 Starliner chassis in decent shape and a few odds and ends. Seems there isn't a place to offer these, other than TW, and that seems like a pain to me, as we can't exchange info easily. Maybe the TW ads section could also be mirrored online in this forum??? I think Hemmings does that...?...
                      Corley

Comment

Makes no sense to me....a buy/sell function would be an important, popular feature, no?
                        Lou Van Anne
                        62 Champ
                        64 R2 GT Hawk
                        79 Avanti II

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                          Rather than repeat again the various oft-repeated explanations, I refer you to this thread from earlier this year:

However, I will repeat this recommendation: if anyone is unhappy with the current policy, you should contact your board member. Exchanging complaints about it here may make you feel better, but it won't move us forward.
                          Skip, I appreciate your willingness to look up and post the link I was too lazy to to do for myself. This subject comes up rather often, especially from new members who have experience on other forums where "for sale" items are common, and very popular. When I was posting, the aspect of "competing" with our printed publications was not even on my mind. I have used my "once per year free" membership ad in turning wheels before, but it has been years. For our serious full time vendors, I believe the "Turning Wheels" route is still very valid. Especially, since many of our (older/traditional) members have not joined the computer scene.

I see a time coming when instead of "competing" perhaps "online" advertising can somehow join with printed publications in a kind of partnership to expand and enhance both. I don't have experience in the technology or economics of either medium to comment further with credibility. Hopefully, we will get it figured out. In the mean time, perhaps you (or our moderator) should keep your reference information in a "saved" file' to quickly, retrieve and post for future threads. 'cause we know...it will keep coming up.
                          John Clary
                          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by Lou Van Anne View Post
                            Makes no sense to me....a buy/sell function would be an important, popular feature, no?
                            Please read the explanations and discussion in the thread linked in post #10 above.
                            Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Corley View Post
                              That forum has no place for free stuff. I have a couple automatic transmissions I'd like to have just go away. Both were working when pulled, one from '63 Avanti, one from '72 Jag XJ6 (which I believe I read will fit in earlier Studes). I don't want to have to mess with crating and shipping, so local pickup only, in the Vancouver Washington area. Also, a free rolling '54 Starliner chassis in decent shape and a few odds and ends. Seems there isn't a place to offer these, other than TW, and that seems like a pain to me, as we can't exchange info easily. Maybe the TW ads section could also be mirrored online in this forum??? I think Hemmings does that...?...

It would be pretty rad if this forum, like many other automotive forums, had a section for classifieds. I stopped receiving TW simply because I never read it. It was pretty to look at on my end table, but, all it did was gather dust. I am one of those young whippersnappers who would rather everything be in one spot for ease and simplicity. I forgot all about the studebakerswap page as it has been ages since I went there. I would think that classifieds on the forum would drum up more traffic for the SDCF and club in general. Could be wrong though..
                              Last edited by cultural infidel; 11-30-2017, 03:22 PM.
                              1960 Lark VIII Regal Wagon

Comment

Working...
                              X