PDA

View Full Version : Good Weekend For Servicing Brakes

JoeHall
11-24-2017, 10:47 AM
This is a good weekend to get round-2 servicing the brakes on my daughter's 2005 Lexus, and the 62GT Hawk. I plan to first replace all pads on the Lexus. Then move to the 62GT, with new, "Green Stuff" pads & re-turned rotors in the front, and new shoes & drums in the rear. Of course, the GT s more labor intense than the Lexus: pull rear axles, repack all wheel bearings, re-check axle end play, torque the rear hubs, bleed the rear brakes, etc..

Have pre-staged all parts. Just hope the TT filler blocks in the GT's rear end behave themselves. LOL

r1lark
11-24-2017, 11:34 AM
Have pre-staged all parts. Just hope the TT filler blocks in the GT's rear end behave themselves. LOL

The last twin traction rear I did, the thrust block stayed put. But......in the process of doing all the work to it (inspecting the gear teeth, bearings, pinion and axle seals, etc) I got the side gears misaligned with the twin traction unit. Worried me when the axle shaft on one side wouldn't go in all the way :( until I figured out what happened. A long piece of 2x4 bolted to the pinion yoke overcame the TT cluches and all was good again. :)

JoeHall
11-24-2017, 07:06 PM
For new rear drums, I decided to take Mike Super's advice, as he posted in this thread back in 2013: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?69575-56J-rear-drum-replacement-on-Dana-44

I found everything to go as Mike said, except I only needed to remove .125" from the outboard side of the shoe surface area. Did not need to machine anything on the inboard side, as they came with the surface finished all the way to the drum wall. It seems with Chinese drums, they tend to vary in dimensions, and that is a variance between Mikes and mine.

Thanks Mike :)