Bowling Green Kentucky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bowling Green Kentucky

Several of us from Kansas are headed to the NHRA Hot Rod Reunion car show and drags in June in Bowling Green KY. There is a caravan headed from BG to St. Paul for Back tothe Fifties the following weekend and then to the Stude. zone meet in Plymouth the following weekend. 3 weekends of activities.

We would like to find a horse farm to tour between Evansville IN. and Bowling Green on our way to BG. Any ideas ?

We have reservations at a higher dollar motel as they are all high this weekend but was wondering if you can recommend a clean safe mom & pop motel in the BG area with reasonable rates. Ideas ?

Brad

Brad,

There are not many horse farms in this end of Kentucky, unfortunately. The few that I'm aware of don't offer tours, although there is a riding stable just across the river from me in Rockport, IN. I've heard some good things about it.

Here's their website: http://www.rameycamps.com/site/horse-stables.asp They have contact numbers and directions there.

I've not had cause to spend a night in Bowling Green in several years (Owensboro is only 70 miles from BG), but my mother raves about the Holiday Inn University Plaza. They stayed there when my brother was playing on a traveling baseball team. You might check Orbitz and Priceline.com for good deals there, and other places as well that are equally nice. I stayed in a locally-owned place a few years ago, but the name escapes me. I wouldn't recommend it, anyway! [xx(]

Have a safe trip!

Jacob Newkirk - Owensboro, KY

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!

Comment

Brad,

There are not many horse farms in this end of Kentucky, unfortunately. The few that I'm aware of don't offer tours, although there is a riding stable just across the river from me in Rockport, IN. I've heard some good things about it.

Here's their website: http://www.rameycamps.com/site/horse-stables.asp They have contact numbers and directions there.

I've not had cause to spend a night in Bowling Green in several years (Owensboro is only 70 miles from BG), but my mother raves about the Holiday Inn University Plaza. They stayed there when my brother was playing on a traveling baseball team. You might check Orbitz and Priceline.com for good deals there, and other places as well that are equally nice. I stayed in a locally-owned place a few years ago, but the name escapes me. I wouldn't recommend it, anyway! [xx(]

Have a safe trip!

Comment

I don't know if the Kentucky Horse Park http://www.kyhorsepark.com/ is too far out of your way, but it is very well done. I toured it when I lived in Northern Kentucky in the 80's.

Also, don't miss the Corvette assembly plant in Bowling Green.

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

I don't know if the Kentucky Horse Park http://www.kyhorsepark.com/ is too far out of your way, but it is very well done. I toured it when I lived in Northern Kentucky in the 80's.

Also, don't miss the Corvette assembly plant in Bowling Green.

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

The Horse Park is a nice place, but is a pretty fer piece from Bowling Green. It's doable, but it'd probably be about a 3 hour drive. Bowling Green is a pretty good sized university town, so there's plenty of places to stay and eat. Definitely visit the Corvette Museum and right across the street is a classic car dealer with lots of overpriced cars--fun to browse though

If cost is the issue, you should look in the Cave City area at hotels. There are quite a few there and it's only about 17 miles north of Bowling Green.

Mark Anderson
            Member SDC and FMCA
            Keeper of the Studebaker Cruiser Registry

My next Studebaker is in the future, but now getting my hair messed up in a Sebring ragtop!
            Almost as fun as a Studebaker!

Comment

The Horse Park is a nice place, but is a pretty fer piece from Bowling Green. It's doable, but it'd probably be about a 3 hour drive. Bowling Green is a pretty good sized university town, so there's plenty of places to stay and eat. Definitely visit the Corvette Museum and right across the street is a classic car dealer with lots of overpriced cars--fun to browse though

If cost is the issue, you should look in the Cave City area at hotels. There are quite a few there and it's only about 17 miles north of Bowling Green.

Mark Anderson
              Member SDC and FMCA

My next Studebaker is in the future, but now getting my hair messed up in a Sebring ragtop!

Comment

I work in the Bowling Green area two days a week, all the motels(dumps or not) jack up their rates for any car related event.

You can drive south to Franklin Ky and find cheaper rates, 14 miles. Or go east to Scottville Ky, 10 miles and check rates there.

The Horse farms are north and east of Louisville Ky at least 2 1/2 hours from Bowling Green. From Evansville you would take I64 east to the Frankfort area, then after visiting one of the farms you would take the Bluegrass Expressway south and west back to I65 and south to Bowling Green. Plan on adding one full day to your trip to do this..

It is an addiction!
                It is an addiction!

Comment

I work in the Bowling Green area two days a week, all the motels(dumps or not) jack up their rates for any car related event.

You can drive south to Franklin Ky and find cheaper rates, 14 miles. Or go east to Scottville Ky, 10 miles and check rates there.

The Horse farms are north and east of Louisville Ky at least 2 1/2 hours from Bowling Green. From Evansville you would take I64 east to the Frankfort area, then after visiting one of the farms you would take the Bluegrass Expressway south and west back to I65 and south to Bowling Green. Plan on adding one full day to your trip to do this..

It is an addiction!
                  It is an addiction!

Comment

Brad, there are more horse (and farms) here in Kansas than in Kentucky. As a matter of fact, the horse population of Kansas exceeds the human population of the state. Too bad, you can't have everyone here to visit a local farm.

(just some boring and useless trivia I picked up)

Chris Pile
                    StudeFolk Manager
                    Tiny, custom domain, branded, url shortener, edit URL redirect, tinylink
                    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Brad, there are more horse (and farms) here in Kansas than in Kentucky. As a matter of fact, the horse population of Kansas exceeds the human population of the state. Too bad, you can't have everyone here to visit a local farm.

(just some boring and useless trivia I picked up)

Chris Pile
                      StudeFolk Manager
                      Tiny, custom domain, branded, url shortener, edit URL redirect, tinylink
                      The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

I think that Holley rebuilds carburetors in Bowling Green, IIRC. That would be an interesting field trip, provided they let you tour the shop/plant.

[img=left]http://simps.us/studebaker/misc/images/Avacar-hcsdc.gif[/img=left]
                        Paul Simpson
                        "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                        The Red-Headed Amazon
                        Deep in the heart of Texas

Paul Simpson
                        "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                        The Red-Headed Amazon

Comment

I think that Holley rebuilds carburetors in Bowling Green, IIRC. That would be an interesting field trip, provided they let you tour the shop/plant.

[img=left]http://simps.us/studebaker/misc/images/Avacar-hcsdc.gif[/img=left]
                          Paul Simpson
                          "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                          The Red-Headed Amazon

Paul Simpson
                          "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                          The Red-Headed Amazon

Comment

Let's not forget that Camping World Headquarters are in Bowling Green (if you're into that kind of thing). Camping, er uh, ArrrVeeing is my other addiction[8D].

Mark Anderson
                            Member SDC and FMCA

Comment

Let's not forget that Camping World Headquarters are in Bowling Green (if you're into that kind of thing). Camping, er uh, ArrrVeeing is my other addiction[8D].

Mark Anderson
                              Member SDC and FMCA

Comment

Working...
                              X