Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any ideas on how to straighten out my bumper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any ideas on how to straighten out my bumper?

Many moons ago my wagon hit something and somewhat tweaked the bumper...

Any idea on how I might straighten it out? Its bent inward and is touching the front fascia.
    1960 Lark VIII Regal Wagon

If you have a shop press. Remove it and set it on two 2x4's at the front and something sharp in the center on the back side and slowly push it out.

Comment

A Chrome Shop.

Mike

Comment

Ogden Chrome does bumpers and has all of the original patterns to bring the bumper back to its original shape. Mine came back looking like new.
        Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

I went to one of the big swap meets where all the chrome vendors show up. I bought stuff that was ready to go and they gave credit for my core.
          Wayne
          "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic​

Comment

You might try Berry Hackney, in Texas. He has bumpers and does (or has contacts for) chrome plating www.studebakersite.com . I He is a "straight shooter" and has always treated me right. I am sure he will be in Tacoma next year for the International Meet.

Comment

I guess I should have clarified that I was looking for a garage fix. I will see if I can get our small press at work fixed and maybe use that. I'm not trying to ship it out somewhere. I just dont want the bumper rubbing against the grill.

I did email a chrome shop around the corner from my shop to see what he says.
              1960 Lark VIII Regal Wagon

Comment

I'd shape a piece of wood to knock it out from inside on a bag of sand...

Comment

My 50 Champion front bumper was pushed back on the driver's side. I blocked the wheels to hold the car, then hooked an old tire over the end of the bumper, then used a chain and cable ratchet to pull the end forward. When it was forward I used a large C clamp to squeeze the outward bows where the bend too place, near the bumper to frame brace. The bumper came out perfect, and the chrome wasn't even cracked.

Looking at your bumper, I'd use about a foot long piece of steel bar stock, then drill two holes to match your 2 center holes. Use 2 long bolts and nuts to fasten the bar to the backside of the bumper, and connect each end of a 6 foot chain to the 2 bolts. Then block the wheels and pull forward on the chain with a cable ratchet, like I did on mine. Your bumper will be a tougher pull than mine was, but it's worth a try.

If this doesn't work, then I'd do as mentioned in #2 and #8.

Comment

The good news is that early lark bumpers are very thin and light weight . Should beat out without too much trouble.

Comment

I used a dead blow hammer and a block of wood as well as some body hammer to do mine. My bumper looked about the same when I started.

i also used a large hammer on one side as a weight and a small hammer on the other side with a LOT of small light hits so I didn't put hammer marks on it.
                      Dis-Use on a Car is Worse Than Mis-Use...
                      1959 Studebaker Lark VIII 2DHTP

Comment

Here's a couple of nice Lark bumpers on craigslist:

Only $75
                        Maybe he'll ship???
                        sals54

Comment

He treated me right after a bumper I bought from him proved to "straightened" incorrectly....he sent me a good one prepaid.
                          Originally posted by Deaf Mute View Post
                          You might try Berry Hackney, in Texas. He has bumpers and does (or has contacts for) chrome plating www.studebakersite.com . I He is a "straight shooter" and has always treated me right. I am sure he will be in Tacoma next year for the International Meet.
                          Lou Van Anne
                          62 Champ
                          64 R2 GT Hawk
                          79 Avanti II

Comment

Working...
                          X